Winchester 9410 or CMP M1Garand?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 9410 or CMP M1Garand?

Post by rodeo kid »

Need advice, I can't make up my mind this time. Should I get an as NIB Winchester 9410 from Cabela's or a M1 Garand in collector grade from CMP? Both are $899, I wonder which one will gain more value? I have 5 model 94's so I love them, But the Garand would go nice with my AK47 & AR-15. I can only afford one right now. :roll:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester 9410 or CMP M1Garand?

Post by JB »

Buy the one you like the best. Are you going to keep the 9410 unfired? You seem to be interested in value appreciation. The value will take a good dip if you shoot it. I'm guess for $899 you're talking about the "special grade" (edited to correct my "collector" typo) guns as CMP calls them. The wood on those is after market, so to me aren't the most collectible M1's to buy.
Last edited by JB on Tue May 04, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The Garand... It might be very useful, it WILL be a lot of fun, I don't think you can lose money on it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm thinking the Garand would be more fun to shoot, more unique vs. your other guns, more likely to appreciate in value (a famous military gun vs. a Winchester oddity), and more useful if you need to thin the zombie herd.

Get some spare parts (I don't know which ones tend to break, but I'm sure others on this forum could fill you in...) while you're at it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

Garand!
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

If you plan on using it the 9410 is about as much fun as you can ever get in a gun. It is a hoot.

The Garand is an American classic- when you could get them here, I don't think anyone called them fun- too heavy for that- but the M1 carbine was and would I think shade the 9410 at the fun stakes.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

You'd pass up a chance to own the "greatest battle implement ever created" over a....well....a 410 shotgun based on the 94 Winny?

Yawn. Get the Garand. It's a boatload of fun and history. A 9410 will never have the value, the fun, nor the nostalgia of an M1. But then I never buy a gun for it's collector value. I buy them to shoot. Just my .02 cents.

For the record, if I ever came across a 9410.....in good condition...I'd buy it in a heartbeat...sorry!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

You're on yer own pardner.....!! Get the one that speaks to you.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Get the 9410 it is a sweet little shotgun and a great little bunny buster.I have one and my hunting buddy has been tormenting me to sell it to him since the first time I let him shoot it, but it will never be for sale.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

I think you may be confusing CMP "special grade", "correct grade" and "collector grade"...

Hope this helps...

Special Grade / RM1SASSP - $895 (SA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original SA manufacture.)

Special Grade / RM1SPECIAL- $995 (M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. New production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. See photos below for more detail.)

Correct Grade / RM1SACR- $1100+ (Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80% or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Prices start at $1100 depending on manufacturer.)

Collector Grade / Not Available - $1500+ (Collector Grade Rifles have 95% or better overall original metal finish. Rifle bores are excellent with throat erosion under 3 and muzzle wear of 2 or less. Collector Grade rifles have all original parts as they came from the manufacturer. Wood will have a few handling marks and minor dings and scratches. Stocks have the appropriate inspector's cartouche. Data sheets prepared by CMP armorers are included in the butt trap of each Collector Grade Rifle. Excellent condition - little or no use. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Prices start at $1500 depending on manufacturer.)

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Sorry, but I would dispute that the Garand was the finest battle rifle ever created. While relatively well made I would have thought that its annoying (and dangerous) tendency to announce to an opponent that it was empty and the users inability to top it up more than disqualified it from that title.

During WW2 the number of soldiers who preferred to carry M1 carbines over the Garand- even soldiers in elite units who would not merely have been lazy and wanted to carry a lighter rifle, more than indicates that it was regarded as something of a dog by those 'in the know'.

Given its small mag capacity it did not offer the suppressive fire advantage of many later semi auto rifles - even those only marginally later in time such as the SAFN, so it offers little advantage over a reasonably accurate large magazined fast bolt action like the SMLE.

Given the number of Garand's produced compared to the Winchester 9410 and the way Winchesters produced in limited numbers seem to be loved by collectors, I think the 9410 will prove a more astute $$$ investment over time as well.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Sorry, but I would dispute that the Garand was the finest battle rifle ever created. While relatively well made I would have thought that its annoying (and dangerous) tendency to announce to an opponent that it was empty and the users inability to top it up more than disqualified it from that title.

During WW2 the number of soldiers who preferred to carry M1 carbines over the Garand- even soldiers in elite units who would not merely have been lazy and wanted to carry a lighter rifle, more than indicates that it was regarded as something of a dog by those 'in the know'.

Given its small mag capacity it did not offer the suppressive fire advantage of many later semi auto rifles - even those only marginally later in time such as the SAFN, so it offers little advantage over a reasonably accurate large magazined fast bolt action like the SMLE.

Given the number of Garand's produced compared to the Winchester 9410 and the way Winchesters produced in limited numbers seem to be loved by collectors, I think the 9410 will prove a more astute $$$ investment over time as well.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I like Winchesters a lot, but I'd definitely buy the Garand

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The "greatest battle implement ever devised" quote was attributed to General Patton, and I think he knew a thing or two about battle implements. The other semi auto's you speak of were not in general issue at the time of his statement and as far as announcing to the enemy you are empty, our boys solved that fairly quickly by carring a few empty clips with them and at times throwing them on a rock or some other hard surface to simulate the ring of empty, then as the opponent stuck his head up to shoot at you...OOOPs on him. that helped the opponent not "KNOW" you were empty after seeeing a few of his buddies falling for it. Probably not the greatest battle implement ever devised now but at the time it was a humdinger...and still a whole lot of fun to shoot and feel the history. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Garand,,,"greatest battle implement ever devised" More than a true statement. I had an Uncle on both sides of the conflict and the Uncle on the other side fought in Italy said he would rather parley against ten commonwealth soldiers than three Americans with Garands. Even though the SMLE was relatively quick, only the first shot was remotely accurate where the guys with the Garands were very consistant with their following shots. My Uncle on this side asked if the "ping" of the empty clip helped, my German Uncle said that it wasn't that much of an advantage as most often in a firefight you can't hear them and most battles were at over 200 meters were he was at unless in an urban area.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Is that a serious question? Personally, I would not buy a 9410, but would pay twice that for another nice 1940s Model 42. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Split the difference.. Get a Winchester Garand :lol: :wink:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

garand! no question.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, I made up my mind, but it was then made up for me. I decided to get the Winchester 9410 first as the price was $300 to $400 under usual asking prices, and order the garand next month as they advised they would still be available. One problem, when I called Cabela's they had sold the 9410 last evening. So I filled out the paperwork and ordered a Garand from CMP. You snooze-you lose. :roll:
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:The Garand... It might be very useful, it WILL be a lot of fun, I don't think you can lose money on it.
+1

These are only becoming more difficult to find and more expensive as time goes on.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I do not dispute that the Garand will become hard to find- especially a good one- as the years go by, but I understand they are still being released by Uncle Sam to NRA members, so can hardly be considered rare.

Frankly, the Garand does nothing for me- but I am not an American, my families blood fought with and was spilled over Lee Enfields and it is to that 'fightin' rifle' that I owe my allegience (Only one member of my family fought with the FN FAL- in the streets of N Ireland and I was past childhood then) and that cousin, an ex British 'Para' swears by the FN- especially one fitted with an Aimpoint.

These fighting rifles are still not as rare or hard to find as a 9410 - which was made in modest quantities.

The question asked was Winchester 9410 or Garand- in the context of an investment.

There are enough of us oldies left who were bought up on Winchesters to want one- and believe me, if you have shot one, you would want one too.

By virtue of our gun laws, I cannot justify owning a Garand. Frankly I would not want one if I could, and never owned one prior to our current gun law regime- although I have handled and shot them on many occasions. The closest I have ever been to owing one is a scaled down version- the mini 14.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I do not dispute that the Garand will become hard to find- especially a good one- as the years go by, but I understand they are still being released by Uncle Sam to NRA members, so can hardly be considered rare.

Frankly, the Garand does nothing for me- but I am not an American, my families blood fought with and was spilled over Lee Enfields and it is to that 'fightin' rifle' that I owe my allegience (Only one member of my family fought with the FN FAL- in the streets of N Ireland and I was past childhood then) and that cousin, an ex British 'Para' swears by the FN- especially one fitted with an Aimpoint.

These fighting rifles are still not as rare or hard to find as a 9410 - which was made in modest quantities.

The question asked was Winchester 9410 or Garand- in the context of an investment.

There are enough of us oldies left who were bought up on Winchesters to want one- and believe me, if you have shot one, you would want one too.

By virtue of our gun laws, I cannot justify owning a Garand. Frankly I would not want one if I could, and never owned one prior to our current gun law regime- although I have handled and shot them on many occasions. The closest I have ever been to owing one is a scaled down version- the mini 14.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I got a visit from the Fed-Ex driver and he had my Garand from CMP. Wow, it looks really good. I got the $895 RM1SASSP special which is supposed to have collector grade metal amd a new stock. Has a Springfield Armory receiver and a new CMP stock with their cartouche. The metal looks so new I swear it has been re-parkerized but is not supposed to be the case. I have seen far worse Garand's on Cabela's and other sights anywhere from $1100 to $2000 that looked far worse. I am very happy so far that I chose CMP.
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I ordered three more M1s from the CMP a couple of days ago. The "service grade" rifles are the best buy a far as I am concerned. They are just shooters, plain and simple, which is really all that one can expect from a heavily used service weapon. The WRA rifles are, for the most part, receivers only and not worth the extra cost.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln