Slinging up a Marlin 336

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nate_o23
Levergunner

Slinging up a Marlin 336

Post by nate_o23 »

I want to install a GI 1 1/4 web sling on my Marlin 336. My concern is that when you are properly slung up there is a lot of tension on the front sling point. On the Marlin the front sling swival is of course on the barrel band. Could the tension on the barrel band effect accuracy??
Molon Labe, lord barry
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Slinging up a Marlin 336

Post by Terry Murbach »

IT MOST CERTAINLY CAN DO SO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Nate,

I've got a sling on my 336, and tried using the traditional military sling positions with it. Yeah...bullet impact changes when you sling it , and when you unsling and resling, it changes again.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
nate_o23
Levergunner

Post by nate_o23 »

Would attaching a sling point to the wood of the forend help? Or not since it is attached to the barrel as well?
Molon Labe, lord barry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If someone HAS to shoot a Marlin with a tight sling - something I'd never recommend - The rear swivel stud can replace the forward screw in the receiver's floorplate metal, ILO being located near the toe of the buttstock.

With the front sling stud just behind the front sight, a "Ching Sling" loop arrangement results - with minimal issues.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I have sling swivels on a couple of my 336's. I carry one of those ballistic nylon slings, rolled up and stuck in my pocket while hunting or when I know I'll be shooting. When the shootings done and the gun must be carried any distance, I attach the sling, throw it over my shoulder and am on my way. To me this is the best solution to a sling affecting the accuracy of my levergun.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I love the sling on mine! Works great when you need both hands, although I dont carry it slung when walking much. They make a sling attachment that secures to the tube of the mag. I have never observed any affect on my accuracy with mine.

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

A sling affects the POI (point of impact) on any gun. The amount it's affected varies with the type of rifle but it will change POI.

Some of the long range shooting forums talk about the effect of POI on bolt guns. They just aren't affected as much as a levergun because of the one piece stock.

If you want to use the sling, sight in on the bench first, then shoot it with the sling on a rest and adjust for the change in POI.

The POI may vary slightly between seated, standing and prone because of different sling tension, but usually not enough to worry about it
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

A little off topic, but maybe some could help. I loaned my daughters boy friend one of my 336's (big mistake). When I got it back the sling was gone and the rear sling swivel was missing. I now have a hole in the butt stock where the sling use to attach. How do I fix it. Do I just buy a piece of dowel and glue it in and then buy a swivel and screw it in?
when your enemy is within range so are you
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Bis,

Did you beat the snot out of him (or at least give him a good dressing down)? :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Bis wrote:A little off topic, but maybe some could help. I loaned my daughters boy friend one of my 336's (big mistake). When I got it back the sling was gone and the rear sling swivel was missing. I now have a hole in the butt stock where the sling use to attach. How do I fix it. Do I just buy a piece of dowel and glue it in and then buy a swivel and screw it in?

Give him the remains of the rifle and send him on down the road. Cheap price to pay for the glimpse you have of what's perhaps coming in the future. :lol:
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Bis wrote:A little off topic, but maybe some could help. I loaned my daughters boy friend one of my 336's (big mistake). When I got it back the sling was gone and the rear sling swivel was missing. I now have a hole in the butt stock where the sling use to attach. How do I fix it. Do I just buy a piece of dowel and glue it in and then buy a swivel and screw it in?
Get a quote from a gunsmith and tell him if he ever wants to date your daughter again or even come near the house, he'll pay to have it fixed.

If he won't, kick him out. If he doesn't have enough character to fix his screw up, he shouldn't be dating your daughter.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

quietman wrote:
Get a quote from a gunsmith and tell him if he ever wants to date your daughter again or even come near the house, he'll pay to have it fixed.

If he won't, kick him out. If he doesn't have enough character to fix his screw up, he shouldn't be dating your daughter.
Absolutely!!

The 'you broke it, you bought it' approach seems to have fallen out of favor with many young people these days. However, as was the case with my recently 'nicked' chrono, if someone breaks something they borrow, they have to make it right. As a parent your insistence upon this is actually a great 'learning experience' for your daughter's friend.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I am glad to be rid of the freeloader and have my rifle back. My daughter has worked 2 jobs for the last couple of years to support the boy friend (29 years old), their baby (my only grand daughter) and the boy friends dad. Have told her for years to lose the loser.
Back to the Marlin. Can I just take a dowel of the right size and stick it in the hole and glue it and the then screw a new swivel in? Or dose Marlin have a special plug for the the swivel to attach?
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Bis wrote:I am glad to be rid of the freeloader and have my rifle back. My daughter has worked 2 jobs for the last couple of years to support the boy friend (29 years old), their baby (my only grand daughter) and the boy friends dad. Have told her for years to lose the loser.
Back to the Marlin. Can I just take a dowel of the right size and stick it in the hole and glue it and the then screw a new swivel in? Or dose Marlin have a special plug for the the swivel to attach?
I'd drill the hold slightly larger than the old screw ( to make sure you're dealing with solid wood), glue in the correct sized dowel, drill a hold the size of the stud minus the threads (to keep from splitting the stock when you put the new stud in), then screw the stud back in. To make the job neat, you can use a facing cutter to make a nice flat spot for the bottom of your stud to contact. You've probably seen used rifles with chips in the stock where some idiot tried to screw a flat bottomed stud tight to the convex face of the stock.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I have about a 1/4-3/8 inch hole in the stock where some sort of mounting device use to be mounted. I can get a dowel and glue it in but thought that Marlin might have a special plug that goes in there. My older Marlins have a plug that has a black outer ring and a white inner ring. I would just like to keep it original.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Bis wrote:I have about a 1/4-3/8 inch hole in the stock where some sort of mounting device use to be mounted. I can get a dowel and glue it in but thought that Marlin might have a special plug that goes in there. My older Marlins have a plug that has a black outer ring and a white inner ring. I would just like to keep it original.
Your rear sling wasn't mounted in the "bullseye" was it? The white plastic spot? It it was, that's the problem. Those are NOT for installing sling swivels. Those are Marlin's trademark and for look only. The swivel should be mounted in the solid wood.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I do believe it was mounted in the bullseye. Since there is no "bullseye" on the stock. I bought the gun used and did not have it long befor I "loaned it" to my daughter. Is it possible to get "bullseyes"from Marlin? I have a 22bolt action my dad bought me in 1958 that is missing the "bullseye". Should I try to mount the sling more to the butt and then try to get a bullseye?
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

You can get the plastic plugs (bullseye) from Marlin. They require fitting and can be a pain to deal with, at least for me. If you're not comfortable installing the swivel, have a local gun shop do it for you, but don't put it where the bullseye is.