Moments of stupidity- what have you sold and why

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Moments of stupidity- what have you sold and why

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

What have you sold and regretted selling and why?

After a break up with my ex, when I needed replacement furniture, I sold:

1. Remington model 7 in 7-08
2. Browning 92 in 357 (which I have just replaced in .44)
3. Browning 71 in 348
I also got rid of a Mannlicher 243 at this time but did not regret its loss.

I have also parted with a martini Cadet in 256 win mag, .22 Winchester 9422 and a 92 with octagonal heavy barrel in 25/20 but without excuse other than I was a young fellow who wanted something faster.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Re: Moments of stupidity- what have you sold and why

Post by barbarossa »

I sold during bad bouts of gun fever

H&R Trapdoor infantry model
Beautiful aya 410 double
Browning 1886 rifle
H&K SL7
Haenal 88 sporting rifle
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Too many to want to admit, but probably the most stupid thing was trading off my nice flat band 94 Win for a post 64 shooter that I decided I didn't like for some reason and didn't keep long.
The next one was selling my very nice Springfield 1911a1 mil spec when I needed cash to pay bills. The bills keep coming back and I still haven't replaced that 1911.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Never any regrets towards the ones I have sold, but I have had regrets after several purchases.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I was strapped for funds and sold a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 45colt. :oops: Wish I had that one back.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I buy 'em after giving them a lot of thought, and then keep 'em. The only gun I have ever sold I couldn't shoot worth beans. It was a Kel-Tec P3-AT, that just did not fit my hands. Replaced it with a Para USA that fits just fine.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Sold my GP-100 when I got weak in the knees for an old Double. The GP-100 was about as accurate as a rifle, and built like a bank vault.

Didn't sell it but I gave my first Win. 94 that my Dad gave me to my brother upon entry to the Army. Still kicking myself for that.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I once had a hideous Ruger M077 MkII All-Weather Stainless Rifle in .300 WinMag that I just could not make shoot a decent group. I traded it for a Pedersoli Rolling Block in .45-70 Gov't. I think the trade was a good one because that Roller shot great. The part of the trade that makes me kick myself every time I think about is is th fact that I didn't take a Leupold ari-X III 3-9X50mm scope off that ugly Ruger.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Only gun I have "ever sold" period (I just cant bring myself to sell any) :roll:
A Colt AR15 SP1 w/3x Colt scope (the early version like they used over in Nam)
A guy worked for the Southport/Elmira, NY Prison systems wanted this gun bad.??
Met him at our Shooting Club.He wanted it because it was extremely light and had the Colt Scope.(for the Tower)
His offer I could not refuse,So I ordered 2 new Colt Match HBARS (consecutive S/Ns_)
Don't know if that was stupid or not??? I think not! :?:
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

In a moment of absolute stupidity I traded off a Savage 24V in .357/20 gauge :shock: :x How dumb is that. Especially since it was such a great shooter with BOTH barrels :?

Oh, and a Python I traded in a moment of idiocy that I killed my first big game with..... :|

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I made a stupid mistake balancing my checkbook and wound up with a -$100 checking balance on a Friday. Had a utility bill due, so I sold my 4" .22 Colt Diamondback for $200 to my boss. Twelve years later and he still has it and loves it. :(

Traded my 4" beater Official Police and a really nice late issue Colt Agent (no shroud) for a pair of Long Hunter tuned Cimarron .45 Thunderer 4 3/4" revolvers (X-mas gifts for my wife). She thinks I am the greatest husband ever for this present, she got to tell every one of her friends "my husband got me revolvers for christmas." (got a lot of funny looks for that one--in South Florida most of her friends were liberal east coast transplants).
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've only sold a Browning 65 in 218 Bee ... if I recall, it was to prove to my wife that I didn't just BUY guns but could part with them as well. I think this was back in '95 and that "Made in Japan" bothered me and marked that rifle for removal from the herd. It was a really nice rifle though ... pretty smooth action. In retrospect, the Miroku made guns of various forms are probably some of the best made modern firearms to be had. My distaste for all things Japanese was passed to me from my grandfather.

That's the only one I ever sold ... and it still bothers me.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Sold a very nice muzzle loader when I first got married. Sold it to put up drywall in our house. Wish I would have found another to pay for the drywall. I also sold a Savage 99 in .300 with an old Lyman scope on it. Can't remember why I sold that one but I wish I had it back now.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

The one that kills me the most is selling my 4" Nickel S&W 586. I used the funds to buy my Springfield MILSPEC 1911. Now I am tired of chasing brass and think I need more revolvers! :D

I also had 2 stainless S&W 629 with 6" barrels. Sold them cause I was young BROKE and recently married! Only constalation in it is that I did sell for a decent profit and 20 yrs later I still have the same wife so I you could say she was worth it.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I've only sold 1 and gave away 2. I sold an old .303 British Enfield 40 years ago and haven't regretted it. That $15 bought a case of beer, which was very important at the time. I gave my son my Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun. The other one I gave away I'm told by my lawyer not to mention until the statute of limitations runs out. :D I was told it was illegal, but I didn't know it at the time. I gave it to a friend before he moved to California. He wanted to give it back, but told me I'd have to come get it. It now may be at the bottom of SF Bay.

No regrets here.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Let's see, I've sold a bunch of nice guns, but normally always followed the sale with a purchase.
Gone:
Pre '64 M70 F/W .243
Pre '64 M70 F/W .308
Pre '64 M70 .270
Parker Trojan circa 1927 12ga S/S
Simson Suhl 74E 12ga S/S
Win M23 Pigeon grade 20ga S/S
Browning Citori Superlight 12ga O/U
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Traded a 39 Mountie in on a Remington junker .22 Bolt...it literaly fell apart in a couple weeks. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Winchester 1876 .45-60 with a darn mint bore, but the round barrel was cut to 22". It was a very handy and accurate rifle that I should not have let get way, but a nice .33WCF '86 called to me. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

More a matter of economics than stupidity. Always had more wants than money. Here are a few I really wish I had back.

My first handgun, a S&W Model 28
A 4" Colt Diamondback 38spec
4 1/2" Colt Woodsman Match Target 2nd Issue
A really really nice Springfield M1 Garand, one of the best I've seen.
Traded a Browning BL22 for a nice Marlin Mountie, which went for something else
and on and on and on...............

Ok, your right, it is stupidity. :roll: :roll:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I wish I had them all back, but the one "Doh!" moment was selling my Ruger .357 Blackhawk back when I was a newlywed and I couldn't afford to feed it. It was my first centerfire handgun.

Years later I realized it was a 3-screw. :evil: I wondered why the guy who bought it ran out of the apartment like he had just robbed a bank. :? The bluing was worn off one side of the cylinder where it had been in a holster, so I thought (at the time) I had come out alright on the deal when I sold it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I have yet to regret selling a gun that I had decided to sell and then did so.

Once I've decided to part with a gun, it is as if it no longer exists to me, psychologically speaking.

I follow the words of my late maternal grandfather -- "Don't cry over anything anyone that cannot or will not cry over you." -- guns we have sold are only guns, material things, and if they are gone, they are gone. If circumstances change, they can generally be replaced at a price.

At halfway to 112 I have a limited future ahead of me; I cannot be wasting time fretting about a decision made and a gun sold. Ancient history.

JMO, not busting on anyone.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sold my Browning 1886, took me 8 years to convince the buyer to sell it back.

Traded a Ruger Single Six for a couch... couch long gone... ain't regretted the trade.

Traded a Ruger 3-screw in .357 for a Marlin 336 in .30-30. Gave the Marlin to my Dad, where it was stolen... no regrets on the Marlin, but would like a nice 3-screw again!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

Ya'll make me feel much better concerning my less than intelligent decisions, esp. concerning the real lemmons that came my way.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've sold more than I've kept, but haven't sold anything I regret selling.

Since they were all current production model firearms, there are still plenty around and probably alot cheaper than what I sold them for.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

barbarossa wrote:I sold during bad bouts of gun fever

H&R Trapdoor infantry model
Beautiful aya 410 double
Browning 1886 rifle
H&K SL7
Haenal 88 sporting rifle

Out of curiosity, how much did you sell the SL7 for? They don't seem to bring their worth at local shows here, maybe $1500.00 or the equivalent in trade, tops.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

in 1972 I bought the newly-issued Winchester 9422 ..... sold it in 1997 due to exceptional stupidity.

in 1978 I bought the newly-issued Win BigBore94 in .375 Win ..... stupidly let it go in 1987 to get cash for a car radiator.

I miss 'em both.

Cheers,

Carl
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Remingto 700 ADL in .22-250 when I was 17 because I needed money for a car. Still regret it! Smith & Wesson .41 Mag when I was in college because I needed money...probably for beer - chaps my hide just to think about it! Ruger Redhawk and Randall Model 5 with a stag handle at the same time - grrrr!! And lastely, a Colt 1903 Hammerless in .32ACP. First hand gun I ever bought at 21 years of age and I bought it mostly because it was something like $75. Traded it in for partial on a Python. Today it'd fetch $400 and that's why I wont be replacing it but I'm pretty sore at myself for letting it go.

Those I don't miss: Colt 1851 brasser (Pietta) - I'll get an 1860 in steel some day to fill the gap and never miss the 1851. Beretta Stampede in .357 - hated the fake case colors so I don't miss it at all. Replaced it with a Cattleman that, while a bit dull, doesn't look like weird Technicolor.

Everything else I've still got, to include my Dad and Grandpa's guns.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Let me get this straight: you can actually sell one occasionally? I thought there was a law...
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry