Marlin 1893 32-40 Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1893 32-40 Range Report

Post by Wind »

32-40 Range Report 4/15/10

The journey has lasted a little over a year. An ol’ Marlin 1893 manufactured in 1896, landed on my doorstep unexpectedly, but found a loving home. The search for ammunition components, loads, and correcting some minor issues has endeared this old rifle to me and I can’t help but pick it up every time I see it. The bore was atrocious and has taken considerable shooting and cleaning to get it back. It now shows strong rifling from end to end although still somewhat dark. The load development included loads for Cowboy Silhouette as well as target plinking. They eventually evolved into one and the same.

The old, less than stellar bore requires a bullet sized to .324. Dave Jennings of Montana Bullet Works has provided a superb bullet. W30wcf also aided in the development by graciously providing bullets of a softer composition and different configuration. These he cast from a hundred year old mold. In the end I think it was more the sized diameter of the bullet, as opposed to the hardness, that finally determined my choice and I’ve settled on a hard cast gas checked 170 grain bullet.

I played with the sights. I’ve removed the Marlin original sights and replaced them with newer leaf sights. I’ve put a tang sight on the ol’ girl and promptly took it off. I’m now back to the original rear leaf sight. The original front sight was damaged when I got the rifle, and though saved, will never reside on the barrel again.

The wind had eased somewhat this afternoon and I had a new 20” by 32” dinger sitting out at 400 yards, so I got the 1893 out. After shooting with Whit Spurzon this last weekend, I knew that the point of impact was just on top of the front bead, with the rear elevator all the way up, for 400 yards. I started shooting off the sticks, holding at the bottom of the dinger, and adjusted my hold up as I shot. Shots 13 and 14 went over the top, so I dropped my hold down a little and landed the 15th shot. Thirteen for fifteen and the two misses were my fault. Bullet impact four inches either side of center. At 400 yards with a light breeze, or about all I can see at that distance. I can easily live with that. Even at 114 years old, I think I’m gonna keep it.

Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1893 32-40 Range Report

Post by TedH »

Excellent! What a fine ol girl you have there.
NRA Life Member
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

looks like you had a good day out shooting :D
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I'm glad the bore cleaned up for you, that can be a long road to get it back to shooting shape. Now you just need to put some meat on the table with it. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Shooting on tax day. That is a great way to relieve stress! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nice report and I'm glad she found the perfect home. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

very fine find. like that gong.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent, Wind. I love it when new life is breathed back into the old classics. I've yet to do any developing with my 32-40. Just hard finding the time. I'd really like to get something done though because I'd like to bring it up and shoot silhouette with you guys.
Old Law Dawg
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

here is my 1893 marlin 32/40 that i have yet to try out at the range, but soon, will be warm enough and have some ammo already loaded:

should be a shooter, must have been someones special project when new, with these features including factory nickel finish,etc. bore is like new.
cable
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

hfcable wrote:here is my 1893 marlin 32/40 that i have yet to try out at the range, but soon, will be warm enough and have some ammo already loaded:

should be a shooter, must have been someones special project when new, with these features including factory nickel finish,etc. bore is like new.
she's a dandy
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there hfcable -- Yes indeed, a grand old gun. Does the bolt hit the tang sight, if the sight is all the way up and the bolt is all the way open? Best regards. Wind
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

That is a very scarce Marlin with the pistol grip & Swiss butt. Is the butt
original to the gun?
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is excellent Wind :D :D
I bet the action is smooth too, my old 1889 made in 1892 has the smoothest action of all my Marlins.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

hfcable, good to see you have some guns left. If I recall you got rid of a bunch of nice ones.
Old Law Dawg
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

jorgy wrote:That is a very scarce Marlin with the pistol grip & Swiss butt. Is the butt
original to the gun?
yes, it is all special ordered the way you see it. marlinman93 says it is one of the rarest of configurations.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

kimwcook wrote:hfcable, good to see you have some guns left. If I recall you got rid of a bunch of nice ones.

yes, i did....but still have some of the rarest/finest like this. hope to get back to using them someday. had 3 back surgeries in the last 1 1/2 yrs, and need one more......in severe leg pain almost constantly. i can do my work but not much else, cant walk very far without stopping. i do beieve that eventually i will get back on the track and enjoy things again.
cable
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I enjoyed the report. Shooting it at 400 yards is especially great.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Here's some video of Wind clanging the new 400 yard dinger with the 32-40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3oo5Rau ... 9XrJ6qlc1A
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers