Perfect revolver/pistol??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Perfect revolver/pistol??

Post by rjohns94 »

Seeing Paladin's .45 in a recent post has had me thinking of what I would consider the perfect revolver/pistol. The "ONE". I wonder what you would think is the perfect pistol/revolver. I know, I know, the perfect one for WHAT???? Well, I'm guessing that would vary from person to person so I'm not going to constrain the question. NOW, this thread will be useless without pictures so lets break out the cameras and post those perfect handguns I"m going to hold off on my answer for a bit, wrestling with a couple possibilities.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Re: Perfect revolver/pistol??

Post by Hobie »

The Freedom Arms 97 4¼" in .45 Colt with .45 ACP cylinder OR in .44 Special.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

my heart belongs to the SAA Colt... but my head will take a K frame SW everytime.

I don't "hunt" with handguns (but one tags along out in the pasture)... a K frame in 357M seems to fill the happy average for me.
M65 SW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

LOL, yup lots of "good" choices, some are better at specific jobs.

For me, the little five shot J frames are tied for "my one and only" handgun simply because they can always be concealed. A good snub or 4" K frame .357 would also work for me. Any of these would be comforting as my only handgun. Ammo and componants are everywhere.

For my personal use, I simply prefer a good S&W revolver in .357 or .44 Special. Having only one should leave more $ for Levers.

Here are two good K frames:

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

This is my all time favorite. It covers more ground than any other. I really like the Colt Single Actions, but the Smith 29 just does more, and very well for me. The Smith K-22 has to the the runner up, for sheer shootablity, and outstanding accuracy.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
KentuckyLevrgunr
Levergunner

Post by KentuckyLevrgunr »

A Model 29 with years of honest wear is truly something to be proud of :D Kind of....refreshing to see one that's used for more than taking the occasional deer and perforating coffee cans.

I just picked up my first centerfire handgun, a Ruger SP101 357 Mag with a 3" barrel. It's concealable but still large enough, powerful enough and balanced well enough to be a general purpose handgun.
There's two kinds of lever action rifles - those designed by J.M. Browning, and those that are inferior.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd have to say a 1911 and a .22 conversion unit......... Do I have to post pics of 1911s? :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

BlaineG wrote: Do I have to post pics of 1911s? :lol:
of course. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Shooting anything from 120 grainers at 600 fps to 300+ at 1300 FPS, I'd be hard pressed to find a more versatile and rugged gun than Uncle Bill's Vaquero in .45.
Certified gun nut
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

A better question would be what three handguns would you pick! I need a snub for my pocket, a S&W model 40, a good .22 lr, a S&W K-22 or old model ruger single six, and a good big bore for holster carry. My large one would be this S&W 24-3. Here`s why.
1. You can load the .44 special down or up to almost .44 mag. And it will do what at least 95% what people want a .44 mag to do.
2. Outside of S&Ws mountain guns, and that would be a good choice too, the model 24 had the thin tapered barrel that is faster handeling, less bulky and weighs less to pack than standard .44 mags.
3. Except for the rare mountain guns, 45 colts in smiths also have the heavier straight barrel like the mag.
Here is mine.

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

"Perfect" would be a late-model 4" S&W Model 21 in .45 Colt, 'mooned' for .45 ACP and sans the keyhole.

Purt-near perfect would be fixed-sight GP-100, in the same coon-fingeration, in 10mm/40 S&W.

Drawing from available stock, I'd have to agree with Adirondakjack.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:I'd have to say a 1911 and a .22 conversion unit......... Do I have to post pics of 1911s? :lol:

Well I will if you won't, cuz that would prolly be my pick. Or maybe the 629?? I hate these one gun questions. :D

NRA Life Member
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

SAA Colt in 45 Colt. We are not permitted revolvers under 4 inch barrel length in Australia. Concealed carry is not an option here. Handicapped yes, but at least we can still own and shoot our revolvers and semi-autos.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've owned several .44 mags and a couple of .45 Colts but I gave them up years ago, not because they're not good rounds I just shoot the .357 much better and only hits count.

The only thing that's not quite "perfect" about this gun is the barrel length and I'm thinking about addressing that. Years ago a buddy of mine had a 6" 586 shortened to 5" and it handled and shot like a dream. S&W never made a 5" model so the only way to get one is a custom gun.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My Colt SAA in 45 Colt is about the perfect packing pistol and will cover most anything I need to do with a handgun. My FA 83 7.5" in 454 and my 1911's will handle the rest of it until I can get to a longarm.

Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

firefuzz wrote:I've owned several .44 mags and a couple of .45 Colts but I gave them up years ago, not because they're not good rounds I just shoot the .357 much better and only hits count.
Rob

9 grs Unique w/ 240-250 gr cast bullet is a peach to shoot in the 44 mag case. Not nearly as loud or sharp recoil as the 357, and shoots decently flat enough to hit the 300 yard plate with regulary. I've shot vastly more of this load in the 29 than any other. When going up on the mountain to play in the bear brush, I drop Keith loads in, 22 grs 2400 w/ 250 gr Keith bullet. Have a few 290 gr loads for it also.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Smith 357's, just can't handle the noise of 357 loads. Even full power 44 mag loads don't seem as piercingly loud
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

doesn't fit in your pocket, but it's a blast to shoot, and nothing is going get the attention of a perp quite like a 6" Smith 686
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Sorry no pics, but: Smith 65LS (Lady Smith) - unique and ideal K blend of 3", fixed sight with full shroud/lug and satin stainless. Adding to that, my example is pre-lock, with hammer mounted pin (some later came with bars), and sports Pachs. Haven't found anything quite like the 65LS among the Smiths or otherwise. 66 and 686 3" come close and you can shoot the 125s regularly in the latter, but the 65 is more CC-able/packable and perfectly happy with warm .38s, +Ps and 158s. As I've said a few times, took me about five seconds to get over the moniker on the side plate.

Next up would be USFA Rodeo--self antiqued--4-3/4" in .44 Special that's tuned just-so, and am lusting after one of the new Double Eagles in 3-3/4" - also in .44 - but the funds aren't there. Ruger could make it easier with a New Vaquero or Montado .44 :-)
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I prefer a Colt SAA 45. I think it can handle any two or four legged predator I run into. I usually have an old lever rifle in the truck for occasions that call for a distance shot like this 1886 33 caliber Winchester. I can carry both size ammo on this rig.

"That'll Be The Day"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

For an all around packing pistol,my 4 5/8" Lipsy's Flat Top in
.44 Special is becoming a favorite!

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

bulldog1935 wrote:doesn't fit in your pocket, but it's a blast to shoot, and nothing is going get the attention of a perp quite like a 6" Smith 686

another vote for the 686
and his big brother the 629 classic
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Here's my current favorite/best. It's old, and needs to be reblued, but the trigger is he best I've ever felt. Fixed sights, yes, but I figured out a JHP load that hits to POA. Darned thing is spooky accurate, and with the Pachmayr grip "fits" my hand.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nice pics guys. This isn't a you can only have one topic, for those who made that comment, I'm just interested in what you think is the perfect one. You can have as many as you want.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Honestly,
A .475 Linebaugh Freedom Arms like what you have Mike!(really, how can you beat that ?)
And for Carry-----a 8oz P3AT Kel-Tec .380

But:--------If I could "only have one"pistol period, then the .475 Linebaugh FA and I'll hide her best I can. :wink:

I did think a little about the Taurus Judge(.410/.45Colt--------------But, nope the .475 is the keeper.(like the Rolex of watches)
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Here is my tried and true old Gal that has been my go everwhere pistol since 1989. I sold my first Super the year before, and realized my mistake and bought this one. It will shoot much tighter groups than this....just experimenting with the Mt. Baldy Keith bullet.

The Super is extremely versatile....44 Special loads are such a delight, yet you can easily load Bear stompers as well. Never breaks or malfunctions. Heck, it still looks new!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

For me, my OM SBH worked over by Hamilton Bowen is my Favorite
"Packin Pistol"
Closely followed by a 1911.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

If I could only have one, this would be it. Stainless blackhawk 357, will do anything I need a handgun to do.Image
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

My ideal gun probably changes as often as everyone else's here does. But for today I'll say my S&W 10 shot 617. 10 shot 8 3/8. I say that because it was a stunning day in Central Illinois today and my son and I decided to leave the big stuff home and shoot 22's. 4 hours, 550 rounds, alot of dead targets, and a great time with just me and my son. We talked as much as we shot and that makes for a perfect day. By the way, at 19 years of age he prefers his Ruger 22/45.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

stinkycat wrote:Image
Is that a lanyard stud in the photo above...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

As much as I like a good SA I don't know if anything could be more perfect than a DA .357 with a 4" tube. I don't care if it's a Ruger or a SW, there's a good reason that these guns consistently come out on top of the "if you could only have one" polls. But in my house the .32M Single Six will be the last to go.

LK
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Like everyone else here, I have wondered if I even own a perfect revolver/pistol. I've been buying and shooting guns for nearly 50 years and I still don't know if I could select a perfect one for me. I have five handguns that I like a lot;

Blackhawk convertible - 45/45 - 4 5/8"
Super Blackhawk - 44 - 4 5/8"
S&W Mdl. 625 Mtn. Gun - .45 Colt - 4" no lock
S&W Mdl. 28 - .357 - 4" no lock
S&W Mdl. 18 - .22 - 4" no lock

Each of these guns has proven to be a good companion and they always perform. I've got others that I also like but these seem to be the ones that I constantly go back to.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I think it takes about 10 to cover the "perfect" spectrum.

If we are trying to choose just one, well I don't play that impossible game.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

for shooting at the range and the loser buys the BBQ lunch :D

fav for the field/woods.accusport bisley 45 colt

custom holster by wes

DAV life member.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I pick this one. Havent had it very long but it took over top position real quickly. Little big for every day carry but perfect for alot of other things.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Madman, I was considering the .475, but even downloaded, it really is just too large to lug around to be perfect. It may be the last one I get rid of but I don't think for me its the perfect one. Very nice, but not perfect.

my .357s are either too small or too big for perfect status though for carrying I like them very much.

I'm thinking a 4 1/4" barrel Freedom arms, 45 long colt, 45 acp, with the transfer bar system, octagon barrel and adjustable sights may just be the perfect one for me. Hobie, have to agree with you!!
Mike Johnson,

Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

I have had tons of pistols over the years, but now only have one; I settled on a compact 1911 and have been really happy with it. I'm not a pistol guy, and have gone through pistol after pistol looking for the perfect carry piece, came full circle back to the 1911 platform. Pistols for me are a tool to fight my way to my rifle...never got into shooting pistols for fun.

With that being said, I have really been wanting a .44 SPL/MAG to go with my .44Mag leverguns. And one of these, or a .44Mag SBH would be nice to have.
salvo wrote:For an all around packing pistol,my 4 5/8" Lipsy's Flat Top in
.44 Special is becoming a favorite!

336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I went through a pretty long and drawn out process several years ago trying to figure out what would be best for me. I don't hunt with a handgun so that wasn't even a consideration for me. When I got done going over everything the S&W M10 came out on top. It is stout enough to handle any reasonable .38SPL load, is scary accurate, points like it is an extension of ones arm. I haven't regreted my purchase one bit since. So that is my pick.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I already posted and will stick with my Smith 65LS for all-'round, but amongst my SAs, the .357 Montado--with Bowen lanyard--is a gem and what I'd pack if the 65 weren't around (and for reliability sakes would get the nod in a "you're in the Wildeness with one gun for unspecified time" duty.

I also have to second Kilkenny's thoughts that it'd be awfully hard to part with my .32 Single Sixes too. In addition, my Smith Airweight .32M is about the most useful thing I own--goes with me virtually everywhere, even when the bigger boys are with me.

I've also got an itch for a SP101 in .327--seems like a match made in heaven, and one of my SS's may get so chambered as well. If CCI'd do the right thing and finally bring out some .32 snakeshot, it could very well move right up the vote ladder for an all around (non-bear country) packer.

...Then there's the .44 Specials...Folks are right, it is hard to pick just one!
Last edited by gak on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

txpete - beautiful arms, thanks for the photos.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

thank you.that diamondback is a shooter.
pete
DAV life member.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

rjohns94 wrote:Nice pics guys. This isn't a you can only have one topic, for those who made that comment, I'm just interested in what you think is the perfect one. You can have as many as you want.
I was just realizing I misunderstood - so I am staying with wheelguns, and picking the 3 1/2" .357 Magnum S&W. The feel, balence, checkering, handloading, and looks give it the edge for me over the 4" M24 Smith in .44 Special. But it is close.

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

well ok then. :D

my fav 357 mag.

173 gr 358429 with lots of room to spare

DAV life member.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Pete, that Bisley .45/.45 combo is very nice!!!!!
Mike Johnson,

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mike, I second your remark about the Accusport Bisley. Very easy to carry but just enough barrel to be accurate too. The 45 Colt +P loads are good for about anything you would run into when using the right bullet. Must be why I bought one too! :lol:

Any of these below do really well. The 460 ES is also suprisingly easy to carry. The Kimber Eclipse in 10mm is the easiest to carry and still powerful.

For concealed carry, these are all too big, but for woods carry which is how I use them, they are excellent.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

txpete wrote:well ok then. :D

my fav 357 mag.

173 gr 358429 with lots of room to spare

Great gun. I have the same model in .44 mag, but I have been looking for a .357 Redhawk for over 5 years with no success. I know the Redhawk is overbuilt for the .357, but I'll bet Ruger could sell a million of them, especially in the 4" barrel. I know, I know they have the GP-100, but there is just something about the Redhawk. . . . . . :wink:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

In a revolver a 3 inch 29 nickel, in a pistol a pearl handled Colt 1911 Nickel.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... s008-1.jpg
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

My selection would be the Ruger Security Six in 4 inch. Mine happens to be blue rather than stainless and has a Simply Rugged pancake style holster to make it portable. I have other revolvers and even a couple of semi-automatic pistols, but if required to limit myself to one, this would be the one. But I will admit to being very tempted by the thought of a Freedom Arms Model 97 in .44 Special....
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

"All things considered" (no going back)
Final Choice!(Alaska 50th)or normal 4"
http://guns4u.info/?cat=102

Powerful/Packable/Sweet
"weighs about same as a 1911 Govt"
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Image This is my PPP :D A five shot 38 super built on a Ruger Single six frame. In a Simply rugged holster crossdraw holster this goes with me everytime I step in the woods! Loaded hot it will mimic some 357mag loads. Just in case Mr. Whitetail rounds the bend :)