1895 Stock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
xhogboss
Levergunner

1895 Stock

Post by xhogboss »

I have a 1985 Browning 1895 in 30-40 that's been passed down to me. Beautiful gun with a very nice custom stock set. I'd like to use the gun, but the buttstock is too short for me, and I really don't want to screw the stock up.

Will a 1895 Winchester stock set fit, or is the 1985 Browning something entirely different?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1895 Stock

Post by Rusty »

Same gun.

You might try someone like Boyd's to see if they make a stock for them. Or go whole hog and get a really fancy set with lots of figure in the wood.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The Browning and Winchester butt stocks are the same, but the the fore stock fit differently to the front of the receiver. The solution to your problem is easy and pretty cheap. But a slip/lace on pad for the butt that will stretch the length to suit you. There are some nice ones available in leather.

I restocked my Brownchester 30-40 will a great piece of American Walnut. I had a gunsmith do the work and I told him to keep the LOP the same as the factory. He told me that it needed to be shorter so I could hunt with bulky winter clothes. I told him I was not going to hunt with it, and I lived in the tropics and didn't have any bulky winter clothing, and to not shorten the stock. I said, I was not a child and knew what I wanted.

Well, he did anyway...I was truly upset, but you can't stretch the wood, so I did what I suggested to you. It still irritates me, but I can live with it.
xhogboss
Levergunner

Post by xhogboss »

Thank you, gentlemen, for the replies. I'll try the slip/lace-on pad first, and just try to be careful not to ding the stock too bad. Having said that, I do plan on hunting with it, and I think that's a use the original owner had in mind.

Thanks again.
Fred
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I just bought a rossi 92 .357. The carbine stock is too short for me. I tried two different pachmyer slip on pads. None fit right. I need two as I also have a browning 92. Who is building those leather lace on pads? I seen a site where I think a guy from here made them but I lost the source.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

[quote="xhogboss"]I have a 1985 Browning 1895 in 30-40 that's been passed down to me. Beautiful gun with a very nice custom stock set. quote]

You're not supposed to say stuff like that here without posting a picture or three... :wink:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
xhogboss
Levergunner

Post by xhogboss »

Yep. You're right. I'm remiss in my responsibilities. Photo to follow, probably tomorrow so I can get one in the daylight.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I searched Replacement Gun Stocks and there are several places out there that have good reputations.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Charles wrote:The Browning and Winchester butt stocks are the same, but the the fore stock fit differently to the front of the receiver. The solution to your problem is easy and pretty cheap. But a slip/lace on pad for the butt that will stretch the length to suit you. There are some nice ones available in leather.

I restocked my Brownchester 30-40 will a great piece of American Walnut. I had a gunsmith do the work and I told him to keep the LOP the same as the factory. He told me that it needed to be shorter so I could hunt with bulky winter clothes. I told him I was not going to hunt with it, and I lived in the tropics and didn't have any bulky winter clothing, and to not shorten the stock. I said, I was not a child and knew what I wanted.

Well, he did anyway...I was truly upset, but you can't stretch the wood, so I did what I suggested to you. It still irritates me, but I can live with it.
After expess instructions NOT to, he would have got to pay for new wood.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Steve, thanks. That buffalo pad looks close to what I want.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

firefuzz wrote:
Charles wrote:The Browning and Winchester butt stocks are the same, but the the fore stock fit differently to the front of the receiver. The solution to your problem is easy and pretty cheap. But a slip/lace on pad for the butt that will stretch the length to suit you. There are some nice ones available in leather.

After expess instructions NOT to, he would have got to pay for new wood.

Rob
Amen!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.