Is work slowing down for you?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Is work slowing down for you?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

The architecture and construction business
has come pretty much to a complete stand still..
I am starting to get a little worrrrrried...to say the least..
I just finished this renovation job
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/ ... 1270483931
The only work is in major cities...and far and few between
there too!...and there is no way in hell I am moving to a huge
city...or Kalifornia, NJ, NY, or any other of the northeast states...
Looks like a temporary career change is in store for me....
Giggalo....nope, thats out ...too old and fat...
dang!
Hows work with you guys?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is work slowing down for you?

Post by kimwcook »

That's the thing with LE. You're never without work. Sometimes you're just busier than others. Right now if I didn't get another case I would have enough work to keep me busy for at least a year. And, I'm not kidding.
Old Law Dawg
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

guess I'm lucky at work - I'm a metallurgist consulting to capital infrastructure - power generation, petrochemical.
They prefer lean staff and utilization of consultants.

and of course, my favorite work/fun quote, which I use as a signature on a couple of boards:

Further Proof !!! Work is the curse of the fishing class.

(p.s., I caught 20 white bass yesterday afternoon - they're a lot of fun on a fly rod)
Last edited by bdhold on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

we do commercial glass, glazing and storefront work.

business has been slow for the past year +.
we have only been quoting gov. jobs, hospitals, & schools lately.

this past week we have started to quote some retail shops / strip mall areas.
maybe things are looking up???
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I am in comercial refrigeration and it has been slow lately. For the season sort of normal. Spring hit early and building starts can start earlier if contractors/site is ready. Our customers are claiming busy last 3 quarters of 2010, 40 stores for 1 customer and 25 new/renovations for another. It will probably be the same as other years, busy as heck summer and fall when I want to fish or hunt.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I teach at a University. My course load is over in May, Summer time is nice though I spend a lot of time getting projects for the next year. Sorry to hear things slowing down for you.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

It depends somewhat on what field you are in. I am a court reporter, and things are pretty steady. But my county has an unemployment rate that is nearly 24% now, with absolutely no prospects of new jobs in this area even on the horizon. And here, as elsewhere, I fear the real unemployment rate -- including the seriously underemployed and those who have just flat-out given up on finding work -- is much higher. It will get far worse before it gets better. Next big economic hit, I believe, will be the commercial real estate market, and close on the heels of that will be the massive new taxload that will be the inevitable result of Obamacare.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Chiropractic has been up in the last year. Depends on what business you are in here - school district is closing three schools. Construction is way down as is real estate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

We are working 7 hours most days, largely because the mgmt hired more people than necessary last year. We are about even from last year, even though they thought we were going to get more business. Perhaps we did get new business while losing some old, overall staying about the same.

We get orders from about 300 local eye doctors, and if each client is down just one pair of glasses a day, that's 300 off our total. But overall I'd say we were steady, thanks to attention to quality that helps us keep the business we have.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The only way I can work less than 65 hours a week is to take a vacation day off during the week. Nothing slowing down for me.

And as you know, the company we service has said they want 120 new stores to open ASAP.

Also starting next week, in addition to hauling their groceries TO the stores, we'll be hauling their waste cardboard bails back to the warehouse. Loaded both ways now.

I haven't touched my fly rods in two years.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have been looking for a new position now for a year. Nothing even close is available these days. :?
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Place I work has been buying/adding equipment and hiring more workers; last three new hires I've helped train were all working construction before that bottomed out. The part of the plant I'm in is currently working 4 shifts of 12-hours, 3 days on and 4 off, followed by 4 on and 3 off, so it's running 24/7.

Not expecting things to slow down there until sometime after folks quit having reason to complain about not being able to find all the ammo or primers they want...
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pisgah wrote:It depends somewhat on what field you are in. I am a court reporter, and things are pretty steady. But my county has an unemployment rate that is nearly 24% now, with absolutely no prospects of new jobs in this area even on the horizon. And here, as elsewhere, I fear the real unemployment rate -- including the seriously underemployed and those who have just flat-out given up on finding work -- is much higher. It will get far worse before it gets better. Next big economic hit, I believe, will be the commercial real estate market, and close on the heels of that will be the massive new taxload that will be the inevitable result of Obamacare.
This explains the high quality of your typing skills!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I just left the A/E field and went into "Corrections" - lotsa work warehousing people who Po'ed the Goob.

Unfortunately there are fewer REAL criminals - i.e those social deviants who enjoy hurting people - than simple screwups and Politicals in Prison today.

But then, that's what you get with "Law Enforcers" vs. "Peace Officers"... :?

We could do with fewer "laws" and more sense...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm the Shop Foreman for a new car (Kia) dealer. We sell more used cars than new cars by about a 2-1 ratio, but both new and used have been pretty steady, with new car sales up over this time last year. Of course last years cash for clunkers program sold a lot of new cars, but it did nothing for the shop because all the trade-in's had to get scrapped and the shop didn't make any money on reconditioning and prepping for resale. So far this year I'm a little ahead of last years pace.

Warranty work on the new Kia cars we sell has been declining steadily for the last several years as the quality of the cars is leaps and bounds above where it was 10 years ago. But we have a lot more of them on the roads now too so overall it evens out. Even so, a tech would starve if he had to make a living on warranty work because of the rate that the manufacturers pay us.
Last edited by TedH on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Aint much work in the north east anyway.
I'v been laid off since Oct 08 but am starting to get busy on my own doing little projects. Had to switch gears is all & start gearing towards home repairs & odd jobs.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

December/ January were brutal ( insurance Restoration Contractor) usual time of year slow down but worse than most years.
Was hearing rumors of layoffs.
However,
Feb/ March came back with a vengence, though we seem to be traveling farther
than usual.

Very happy to have a good job!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I work in re-manufacturing. Gas and diesel engines and transmissions. We are a bit above where we were last year but not as good as we were doing this time, say, 4 years ago. We have been working a lot of 50 hour weeks; basically ever since the beginning of the year. Summer is coming and the gas engine side is gearing up for some serious workload. Hired about a dozen people in the last few months after a hiring freeze that's been in effect for about 2 years. We on the transmission side are starting to taper down but since we started a new unit(62TE), that may change; at least for me.

On the other hand, there is a Caterpiler hose plant in the next town that has laid a ton of people off.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>This explains the high quality of your typing skills!

Right, Hobie! Also, never try to say, "I never said that!", because I will have recorded it, transcribed it, sealed it, and submitted it to the Court! :o :D :wink:
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

We're about 95% calved out. Had 1.5 inches of rain and 6 inches of wet snow in a 40 mph wind on Good Friday. Power was out for a day and a half, parts of my county will be with out power for 2 more weeks. Moved pairs from the storm pasture out to the spring pasture, now I watch for scours, pneumonia, coccidiosis, and anything else that can kill a calf....but I get to take my dog to work.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm working 65 hrs a week and busy enough I take a pee break and a 5-10 minute 'lunch', and don't forsee a letup, but the reimbursement is down enough that so far this year I've been paid something like $2,500. Our latest issue is that the majority of insurers advertise 'vaccinations covered' then pay us $35 for a vaccination it costs us $70 to purchase (asking the patient to pay for the other $35 is prohibited), and depending on what else is going on with the patient, often won't pay for it at ALL if we try to give it on a day the patient is in for something else (i.e. to save them another trip to the office, only pay for one co-pay instead of two, and/or not make them miss another day of work just to get a vaccine). Whenever we try to do something to save the patient, or even the insurance company, money, it seems to backfire - it's almost like they WANT to waste money... :roll:

Of course, now you know why doctors like you to come back for each separate issue; they lose money if they try to do stuff all at once to save you trips, save you time, and (even) cost the insurer less money. Go figure. So the patient gets caught in the cross-fire between warring doctors and insurance companies.

Too bad it is virtually illegal to practice 'direct-pay' medicine, and cut the insurance companies out of the equation... :evil:

Notice how the kinds of health care people pay directly for (i.e. Lasik, cosmetic surgery, Chiropractic services) are improving their quality and efficiency, and actually decreasing costs sometimes. whereas everything patients ask someone else (i.e. their employer, the government, or some insurer) to pay for is becoming marginal in quality, poor in efficiency, and costs are skyrocketing. You'd think there'd be a lesson there, but I suppose our nation's leaders have more worrisome concerns, like worrying about Guam will 'capsize'... :o
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

Andrew wrote:I work in re-manufacturing. Gas and diesel engines and transmissions. We are a bit above where we were last year but not as good as we were doing this time, say, 4 years ago. We have been working a lot of 50 hour weeks; basically ever since the beginning of the year. Summer is coming and the gas engine side is gearing up for some serious workload. Hired about a dozen people in the last few months after a hiring freeze that's been in effect for about 2 years. We on the transmission side are starting to taper down but since we started a new unit(62TE), that may change; at least for me.

On the other hand, there is a Caterpiler hose plant in the next town that has laid a ton of people off.
do you work for Cat ??
there is alot of gas starting to come on line over here at the moment ?? still in late constructin stages
I no that in my area alone there is at lest one 994 and a few 797s been ordered in the last month
so things must be picking up...most commpanys aound here were puting off buying new macheans
till thay seen what the econame(sp?) picks up
im noticing the mines hireing more staff to
.Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I do electrical work... qualified as a inside electrician and a power line linehand.

Blessed or just lucky... early on when the construction game went bust (late 70's early 80's) I caught on with and electric power company... full time-no rain outs...

I left for a "right sizing" in the mid 90's... there was a lot of pent up construction back log then... managed to milk 4 years of overtime jobs working with tools during the boom.

The last big slow down saw me working for another major power operator... running an apprentice program and doing safety training.... when that company wanted to move me to a place I did want to go... I bugged out and caught the boom wave again.

We kind of saw the last one coming... jumped back into the safety and training gig with a state sponsered association that works with municiple operators in Oklahoma. I may stay till I retire..or may open a business when things recover a bit.

It's nice to have options. Good luck guys.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

With the oilfield work in North Dakota there has been plenty of work.
Might not be enough money for some to move, but living here doesn't cost as much as other places either.
The snow and cold have their moments.

Byron
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Things have been slow for a few years now. I sell chemicals to companies that make construction materials, mostly for residential or light commercial applications. Hoping that 2010 is the true bottom of the market nationwide. May be for residential, but commercial is still sinking and probably will be well into 2011... :(
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

I'm a technician with an engineering firm that works in two sectors. One sector is industrial automation, power generation and several other industrial areas. Another part of the office deals with municipal projects (government related).

Work in the industrial sector started slowing down in early 2008 and has not picked up since then. Lot's of engineers laid off that can't find jobs because the other engineering firms working in the industrial sector are in the same boat.

Companies are not willing to spend money for plant updates or major additions unless they know they can make back their investment.

Municipal projects are up, but when they are completed there is little income generated off those projects to help the local economy. (Think of a waste water treatment plant as an example)

I'm one of the busiest people in our office right now not working in the municipal projects because people are willing to spend money to keep current equipment in operation.

We've been on 24 to 32 hour work weeks since August of last year. Other offices have been on reduced hours since Jan or Feb of 2009. The reduced hours are an attempt to keep from laying additional people off.

Engineering work in the industrial sector is a good indication of how companies feel about the economic potential over the next year or so. Right now, it isn't a pretty picture.

Andrews experience doesn't surprise me. Rebuilds, part sales, etc go up in the automotive industry when the economy slows down.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I now work in the Medium Density Fibre board industry, have done since leaving the forces in 92. We are flat out, 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year, the crisis barely touched us. We do 12 hour rotating shifts days/nights. My job is in quality control, random sampling and testing of product coming off the two presses. We make MDF from 2.5mm to 32mm on two Continuous roll presses. They are long hard shifts, but the money is excellent. Every three weeks we get a seven day break which is most welcome. Four weeks annual leave also. Our order books are currently full, so things do look good despite the glitches in the Worlds economies.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

arjunky wrote:With the oilfield work in North Dakota there has been plenty of work.
Might not be enough money for some to move, but living here doesn't cost as much as other places either.
The snow and cold have their moments.

Byron
My older brother just moved to Dickenson and is working for an outfit that supplys water to the drilling rigs. He's said the same thing, working a lot of hours, but I hope they can stand the winters.
NRA Life Member
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm in construction, was building hand built cabins and cabin style frame houses on spec. Since the slowdown, I've been doing small remodel and maintenance projects, and only slowly starving, instead of abruptly starving. Few people have, or want to spend much money right now in this area. Been selling guns (or trying to) to keep bills and mortgage paid.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm in transportation. Things have been slow for a little over a year. Rumor mill has it that we just told two fairly big clients to stuff it, they wanted us to haul heavier loads for less, and the other didn't want to pay for detention time for holding trucks beyond the two hour load window. Also hear rumors of two new accounts that will provide MORE freight, lighter freight, from more varied locales.

While breakdowns hurt me in March, April has started with a vengence. But, since I never know what's around the corner, this week may be dead. But, hey, I got a penny raise in 2008! It's not all bad, luckily the cost of fuel seems destined to increase again this summer... hope so, my surcharge pays better the higher the pump price gets. When prices were at the >$4/gal level, my truck only got 5.5 mpg, this truck has averaged 7.2 for the past 6 months. Since adjustments to the surcharge is based on 6mpg, I'll be able to turn a profit on the surcharge. WooHoo!

Last load landed me in Carson City, NV, unfortunately at the end of a 5100 mile week... got here last night, just a few blocks from downtown and too dern tired to take a walk! Oh well, I'm going up to Sparks and Sierra Sid's to drool over his gun collection at the T/A truck stop! Eat yer heart out!! :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

The Army here is pretty busy, so I 'm on short breaks with a endless worklist. After 37 years of the life am hanging it up and go a lookin for something fresh.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I live in southern Illinois, average unemployment rate is probably around 12%. I myself have been out of work since Feb of 09. Praying that something breaks soon.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I work in a state mental health facility(Pennsylvania) and brother things are hopping. One of our sister facilities is being shut down and we are expecting 60 or so more clients from them. I do patient programs 3 days a week and do credentialing of new doctors and Medi*+^&%*&^^care enrollment for the facility, in addition I am the coordinator for a program where I interview 70 schizophrenics a month( Lots of days I wish I was still driving a big rig) plus the most famous line in state government......other duties as assigned. I really could use a week off but am saving my 1st week for a bear hunt in Maine and 2nd week for Pa deer season. No slow down here but they are trying to shutdown all the state run MH/MR facilities as a long term project. They will discover as has NY and CA some of the people we serve really shouldn't be out on the street! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I'm in the dental lab business. Things realy fell off in november and stayed that way until this month, which is odd since most of my work is insurance based. I've enjoyed the time off and it was realy great while my wife was in the hospital.

Mack
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

RH, you're in the eastern epicenter of the recession. Any place like FL, that was doing huge biz before it went sour is hurting bad now, especially in anything to do with real estate. Port St Lucie FL and Las Vegas NV are claimed to be the worst. Now places that were NOT benefitting too much from the real estate bubble, where prices didn't explode, are not hurting near as bad, and in some cases doing quite well. The greater Albany, NY area for example. I also hear good things about Startanburg SC....

The good news is things are starting to loosen up outside of the real estate biz, folks are beginning to spend money, which will eventually help. But in places where values went sky high and forclosures rocked the area like an artillery seige, there's gonna be a long period of "taking up the slack" before we see any return to prosperity in Real estate-related work.

If I were you, I WOULD be looking at a move to areas long settled, where housing stocks are older, as many folks are re-modelling homes or businesses they already own instead of buying and selling properties. But FL, where the average age oif a property is two coats of paint? Nope.

As for me, I was busy before the crash, and have been busy since. Before the crash my time was split between two small businesses. My brass and shooting supplies thing was just getting started, so i supplimented buying and selling antiques. The antique market is flat, so I shifted to more products in the shooting supply biz, building that up. Momma's work is steady, "reverse logistics" for a single client, Walmart.....
Certified gun nut
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

I work in social services so things are up. Not as up as you would think, but up none the less. I don't "think" my job is at risk since demand for my position has only gone up but you never know since the government is mighty fickle with their funding and makes us fight for it every year.
I'm honestly thinking of going in to another field though. I know its a bad time but they don't pay me squat here and insurance offered would be about 30% of my monthly income so there is no way I can touch it. Fat lot of good my degree did me... landing me this job. I do have some level of job security though while all my friends are being laid off. Its making me scared to hunt around for a new job. Say I get one and get laid off in 6 months, I would be screwed. I could be a teacher but all I can teach is elementary, middle, or psychology only for high school. I'm not big on kids but it would nearly double my income and get me insurance (you know its bad when you consider teaching for a major income boost...)...
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

oic0 wrote:I work in social services so things are up. Not as up as you would think, but up none the less. I don't "think" my job is at risk since demand for my position has only gone up but you never know since the government is mighty fickle with their funding and makes us fight for it every year.
I'm honestly thinking of going in to another field though. I know its a bad time but they don't pay me squat here and insurance offered would be about 30% of my monthly income so there is no way I can touch it. Fat lot of good my degree did me... landing me this job. I do have some level of job security though while all my friends are being laid off. Its making me scared to hunt around for a new job. Say I get one and get laid off in 6 months, I would be screwed. I could be a teacher but all I can teach is elementary, middle, or psychology only for high school. I'm not big on kids but it would nearly double my income and get me insurance (you know its bad when you consider teaching for a major income boost...)...

I too have a psych degree. After 18 mos teaching the handicapped for subsistence wages, my car was dying and I was broke. That was in 1986. I got a new job selling cars, doubled my income instantly, and never looked back. I've done a lot of things since, and in the end, the psych degree served me very well, but NOT as a meal ticket per se.

Think marketing, sales, political polling, demographics research, small business owner... Knowing how folks tick IS valuable, just not when publicly funded.
Certified gun nut
348WCF
Levergunner

Post by 348WCF »

I work as a machinist and gunsmith and have been lucky enough that we are working 60 plus hours a week right now. A lot of folks are deciding to fix some guns and keep them instead of getting rid of them and it's really been good for business.

Jim
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm the head of a young division - for a smaller food company - I kinda make my own work and things are busy. I'm expanding to new markets and hiring brokers, etc. and this takes plenty of attention. Sales are good.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Our plant runs 24-7 with most people on forced 58 hr work weeks with many putting in 80+. I'm one of the very few who can work 40 hrs because I have more years in seniority than most of my co-workers have been alive.

I tolerate my job but hate management. They make us feel like peons, but...........I have peons, illegal immigrants, dirt bags and other low lifes to thank for my job because who else drinks soda anymore? :D

Been handling soda and loading trucks via a forklift for 37 years. 6 more to go until 62---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun wrote:Our plant runs 24-7 with most people on forced 58 hr work weeks with many putting in 80+. I'm one of the very few who can work 40 hrs because I have more years in seniority than most of my co-workers have been alive.

I tolerate my job but hate management. They make us feel like peons, but...........I have peons, illegal immigrants, dirt bags and other low lifes to thank for my job because who else drinks soda anymore? :D

Been handling soda and loading trucks via a forklift for 37 years. 6 more to go until 62---------Sixgun
Just wait until Obamascare puts a Sin Tax on softdrinks...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Ironsights wrote: Just wait until Obamascare puts a Sin Tax on softdrinks...
OI, They are doing it in Philly--.02 an ounce! You see, no one works in Philly anymore. Houses are all decayed---drugs, pimps, pros, shooters, cars on cinder blocks, filth, pestilence, and disease are rampant. Working class people are just about all moved out.

Well, I guess the money has to come from somewhere. Everything else is taxed. The only things left untaxed is the air and some second hand clothing stores.

Good thing those animals are 20 miles northwest of me. if they get any closer, I just might to join the exodus and move west. Highly unlikely though--we don't have streetlights or anything free.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I work the skies and it's been pretty much a turd sandwich since 9/11 with no end in sight. 'Course I'm just happy to have a job and I thank God for it but business is still flat on its' butt, opportunities for advancement and any sort of light at the end of the tunnel are still completely absent, and now they're talking about mergers which is always an unpleasant cat fight in the airline biz. Most days I and the other guy at the pointy end of the jet look at each other after hearing the latests news and mutter, "SOSDD."

It's enough to drive a man to the range or the great outdoors with a trusty lever rifle and single action pistol! :wink:

Thanks for asking,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright