OT-Any other Northen boys here (ice fishing thread)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-Any other Northen boys here (ice fishing thread)

Post by Jason_W »

We had some warm weather over the last couple of weeks, but a recent cold snap sealed the lakes back up. I'm geared up for my first couple of trips this weekend.

Any other ice fishermen here?

I'm finding I like it more than warm weather fishing.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

I used to do it all the time. I was born and raised in the mountains in Idaho and Montana. It was my favorite type of fishing and time of year. I have lived in the South now for over 20 years. Haven't had a chance to do it much here. I do miss it, and the "BIG" big game too.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Dastook wrote:I used to do it all the time. I was born and raised in the mountains in Idaho and Montana. It was my favorite type of fishing and time of year. I have lived in the South now for over 20 years. Haven't had a chance to do it much here. I do miss it, and the "BIG" big game too.
I'm bound and determined to catch a landlocked salmon through the ice this year.
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

Like dastook I’ am a transplant Grew up in Pennsylvania 20 years spent 5 years in Alaska and 3 years in North Dakota I kind of miss it. We don’t do much here in Lousiana :lol:
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Never done it Jason but have been thinking alot about it. Near me the lakes dont freeze up much anymore but up in NH its a very common pasttime, as I'm sure you know.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If I can't wear shorts and a t-shirt when I go fishing, I'm out!

Also, fishing would be a lot more fun if you could use a levergun. :wink:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've done it and enjoy it. We usually make our holes near shore and build a campfire in the shelter of some trees while we watch our tip-ups. Hot chocolate or coffee is also standard. The boys and I have had great times.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I went ice fishing once but we broke our only two ice picks we took with us and didn't even have a hole in the ice big enough for the boat yet so we quit.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My grandpa had a ice fishing "shack" he'd drag out on lag Otsego every winter. He'd drive down to it on his tractor (across the Cooperstown golf course) and back most every day. He'd just chuck the fish out the door into a big tub on the 3 point hitch of his Ford-Ferguson and they'd freeze right quick. Fun in the cold. 8)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Leverdude wrote:Never done it Jason but have been thinking alot about it. Near me the lakes dont freeze up much anymore but up in NH its a very common pasttime, as I'm sure you know.
If you decide to make a Vermont trip, let me know and I can steer you in the right direction. Vermont's Northeast Kingdom is a quick shot up I-91 and there is some great ice fishing up there.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have a 10x10 foot shanty all set up in the Northern part of Wisconsin. Have only been in it once this season so far. I am told the fish are biting slow right now anyway. We usually play cards, and maybe even fish a little bit too, mostly Panfish...Crappie, Bluegill, and Perch.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I was raised in wisconsin. In christmass eve of 1961 at a family get together my dad told his younger brothers to be carefull out there. Christmass day a relative picked me up and we went on lake poygan. My folks thought they would drive their vw out to see how we were doing. They broke through the ice, lost the car in 14 feet of water and were lucky to escape with their lives! Two weeks later while we were recovering the vw I slipped on the ice and really got cold cocked. I was out for about a half hour and came to as they were puttting me in the hospital. About 2 days later I was getting a haircut while other guys were talking about how a guy fell on the ice on lake poygan a couple days ago getting a vw out and got killed!
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

No Ice In Florida.....

Was in a Gun Shop with my Moosehead Hat on.
Guy started talking about Maine, and about his vacation there.

Told me he felt sorry for all those people that still had outhouses...

After I got done laughing , I explained about fishing shanties....
Not sure if he believed me...
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

I used to around 20 years ago here in NH for lakers & rainbows. Spent lots of weekends in my bobhouse. Just sold my Jiffy power auger a couple years ago since I wasn't using it. Still have all my tackle though. One day before ice-out, I jigged 6 land-locked salmon in less than 2 hours, all of em' 18 to 24". Of course they weren't legal to keep at that time. Went through the ice twice in 10 years. I was young enough then to fight my way out of the hole & walk to safety. Today I would have to be more careful. Chris
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

I used to ice fish when i was younger and could stand the cold it was nice your beer would always stay cold
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Tried it a couple of times when I lived in MN. In a nice shack, fully loaded. Never could get used to driving on the ice. The thunderous POPs and CRACKs of the ice was always unsettling.

It's -22ºF at my old house right now. Don't miss the cold.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Oh, man...

I am from NH, and after deer season I always got really excited to get out on the ponds and lakes.

I know MA and RI stock some of those broodstock atlantic salmon which they got from a hatchery in VT, and let me tell you: handlining a 15lb salmon through the ice is an experience you will never forget.
We used to go to a pond in Groton, MA called Baddacook and they always dumped around 40-50 of them in every winter. If the ice was clear, (black,) you could actually SEE big silver footballs going by.

If your line was straight out from the trap, and RUNNING, you knew you were in for it!
Of course, just catching trout and bass was always fun, as well as getting a good perch hole going.

I actually considered planning an ice-fishing trip this year but school is consuming most of my free time.

Maybe next year.

PS: Try a small swedish pimple with a perch eye on the hook.

;)
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Jason_W wrote:
Leverdude wrote:Never done it Jason but have been thinking alot about it. Near me the lakes dont freeze up much anymore but up in NH its a very common pasttime, as I'm sure you know.
If you decide to make a Vermont trip, let me know and I can steer you in the right direction. Vermont's Northeast Kingdom is a quick shot up I-91 and there is some great ice fishing up there.
Whereabouts in VT are you Jason?
My camp in NH is right across the river from the northeast kingdom area of VT. I'm in Stratford across from Maidstone VT.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Used to do a lot of it when I lived in upstate New York. It really is a grand time!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Up here in Quebec it is a big thing. (walleye, pike, perch and lakers) I never got into it though. I just couldn't figure out how to troll through all that ice. :lol: Some rivers and lakes have a small town of ice shantys out there. not my idea of a good time, but enjoy those that do.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Leverdude wrote:
Jason_W wrote:
Whereabouts in VT are you Jason?
My camp in NH is right across the river from the northeast kingdom area of VT. I'm in Stratford across from Maidstone VT.
Right now I live in the Waterbury area, but my parents still live in the NEK near Island Pond.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Jason W
I have a friend and know another person who fishes lake willouby (spelling wrong) I never have. I usually make it to Pittsburg N.H. to ice fish a few time's a year. I know people in Enosberg VT. Very nice in the northeast kingdom. Good luck fishing.
Karl