Marlin 94ss in 44 Magnum OR Browning 92 OR newWinchester 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 94ss in 44 Magnum OR Browning 92 OR newWinchester 92

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I am trying to weigh up whether to buy a Marlin 94SS in 44mag or get one of the new 'Browning Winchester's' in this calibre at double the price (or hang on and try and find a second hand Browning 92 which sell in Australia for similar money to a new Marlin 94SS).

Any thoughts?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Marlin 94ss in 44 Magnum OR Browning 92 OR newWinchester 92

Post by J Miller »

If I could I'd hold out till I could find Browning B92. Those are really nice carbines.
Second choice would be the Marlin.
Last the newer Brownchester.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Hold out for a Browning 92, if you can. They're the best IMHO.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would get the new Winchester and see if I still had the desire for another kind. Sounds like the money is not too big a deal for you.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Kinda like these,like this one below!
http://www.ktpguns.com/interior.php/pid/28/gid/145064
.44 or .45 either would do!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I'm thoroughly happy with my M1894SS, but those '92s are things of beauty and I'd like to get one someday! 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

J Miller, I must say I like the expression 'Brownchester' sums up the new generation Winchester's nicely - I am going to borrow that expression. Well thought of.Well done.

I used to have a Browning 92 in .357 and got rid of it after breaking up with an ex. She got most of the furniture, I was sick of eating off a tray and decided I needed a dining table and chairs. I have regretted parting with it ever since. I should have kept that rifle, taken up yoga and started eating cross legged on the floor.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

J Miller, I must say I like the expression 'Brownchester' sums up the new generation Winchester's nicely - I am going to borrow that expression. Well thought of.Well done.

I used to have a Browning 92 in .357 and got rid of it after breaking up with an ex. She got most of the furniture, I was sick of eating off a tray and decided I needed a dining table and chairs. I have regretted parting with it ever since. I should have kept that rifle, taken up yoga and started eating cross legged on the floor.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+ Browning. I assume you can undo some of the unfortunate pieces on the newer ones (Brownchester) but, save for some models that weren't available before--like the otherwise nifty limied-run Brownchester 92 Trapper in.45 Colt from 5, 6 or 7 years (?) back--you might as well have gotten the older Browning to begin with that needed nothing.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+ Browning. I assume you can undo some of the unfortunate pieces on the newer ones (Brownchester) but, save for some models that weren't available before--like the otherwise nifty limited-run Brownchester 92 Trapper in.45 Colt from 5, 6 or 7 years (?) back--you might as well have gotten the older Browning to begin with that needed nothing.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I would take the browning first as I like the carbine butt better then the rifle butt (no safety or rebounding hammer doesn't hurt either). I have a winchester 1892 .44 mag, 20" bbl from the run they did mid 2000's (just like current one's being offered) Fit and finish are excellent, gun has fed all the bullet types I have fed it, has never had a failure to fire and is very accurate. I am waiting to experience all the internet problems these guns have but so far it just keeps firing away. I wish it didn't have the rebounding hammer and safety but honestly they havn't been a issue for me. Good luck choosing.
Karl
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Marlin quality control is also sloppy.
The throats on my Marlins are oversize. If you plan on shooting Castbullets you will have to plan on oversized molds and sizers and do a jugling act trying to get the fattest bullet to chamber without to much lever force. Get the throat sealed off and accuracy is great. To small a cast bullet and you will truely wish you had bought something else.
I have 2 Brownings. They have no issues ! They cost more but then they have NO ISSUES ! They are what a rifle should be from the factory. My uncle ONLY bought Browning. Talk about the best investment policy...
Cannot say anything about the NEW Winny´s.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If it was my choice, I'd prioritize the Browning 92, Marlin 94 (without safety), the Rossi (without safety), and then other 92s or Marlin 94 with safety (which I'd have to remove).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A note on the new Rossi 92s. The 45 I have is great and all the new ones ( maybe a dozen) that have come through the shop here have been a cut above in function of the older ones. They do have the safety but it doesn't bother me. The ones you get over there I guess may not have it. But, this one I have now is definitely better than the older one I had which was pre safety.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I recommend the Model 92, whether mde by Winchester, Browning, Rossi, Uberti, or anyone else.

The Model 1892 action is stronger, smoother and generally more reliable.

You also don't have to fight the "Dreaded Marlin Jam", which some people get and some people apparently don't. I got it, in two different M-1894 Marlins. I won't let another one in the house.

Don't get me wrong, I like Marlin's, I like them a lot. You just can't do better than a Marlin M-336 in .30-30 WCF ir .35 Remington, and I really like the Model 1895 .45-70's, and IMNSHO the Marlin Model 39 is the best .2 lever-gun ever to hit the market. But marlin screwed the pooch with the M-1894's IMO and seem totally uninterested in making a lasting fix.

Get a Model 1892 of some sort.

BTW, you won't find one in .44 RemMag but you ought to be able to find an older Winchester m-1892 that might be rebarreled. I know I swa lots of Winchester 1892's from Austrralia pas through Thad Scott's Fine Guns.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

What are the Henry's lacking?
Are they as well made/perform as well as the others?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

madman4570 wrote:Guys,

My take on the Henry Big Boys is that they are way, way too heavy (some 2 lbs heavier than the competition) and you must load them through the mag tube like a 22lr. Something to do with legal restriction on a loading gate for them which doesn't make sense to me because Rossi, Chiappa, etc. produce a '92 with one.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks Steve! :)
Now that I think about it they were pretty heavy.
The ones I have looked at seemed very well made and were finished well, but that additional weight and that type of loading would be a factor for many!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

A '92 of some sort would definately get my vote.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

firefuzz wrote:A '92 of some sort would definately get my vote.

Rob
+1! I have a Rossi I just bought and it is one of my favorite guns now, it really is a small 86. Shots great trying to hunt down a scope mount for it, for Gophers and targets at 100+yds.I am very impressed with the pistol cal in a rifle.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

There is one here decribed as a Winchester/Miroku with AU$1650 on it http://usedguns.com.au/used_Lever_guns.html#Lever_guns

I opted for the Rossi 92 20" stainless at half that price - :)
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I just ordered one of those Japanchester Model 1892 short rifles in .44mag. Put a deposit down and had it sent through my local gunshop for $876 from Davidson's website. Will see how much better it is than my Rossi.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

rodeo kid wrote:I just ordered one of those Japanchester Model 1892 short rifles in .44mag. Put a deposit down and had it sent through my local gunshop for $876 from Davidson's website. Will see how much better it is than my Rossi.
Keep us posted! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Are older 92's safe to rechamber and re barrel into 44 magnum - I would have thought the pressure of the 44M would be too high for older/ 'soft' steel?.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

COSteve wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Guys,

My take on the Henry Big Boys is that they are way, way too heavy (some 2 lbs heavier than the competition) and you must load them through the mag tube like a 22lr. Something to do with legal restriction on a loading gate for them which doesn't make sense to me because Rossi, Chiappa, etc. produce a '92 with one.
I think they dont have a gate because if they did it'd be a Marlin. I saw a picture of a prototype when they were developing it & it had a gate. Might have been American Rifleman or North American hunter.
I didn't think much of it at the time when they appeared without a gate, but then I got to look at a couple of them & theyre a dead ringer functionally, the reciever is shaped slightly different and theres a transfer bar saftey but the actual mechanics of the gun looked to be almost an exact copy. Course I couldn't take them apart but it has a two piece pin just like a Marlin, the lever pivots the same, the hammer & lifter screws are in the right spot. All it needs is a loading gate. I'v come to the conclusion that they'd violate patent rights or something if it had a gate.

I dont expect they'd admit it though. They think theyre descendants of the original Henry rifle. :mrgreen:

That said the ones I'v seen had a very nice fit & finish & seemed nice guns if a bit heavy, the owners all liked them.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

While the Browning is a well made rifle, most that I have come across in 44 mag dont seem to shoot cast pills particularly well. I've started to make some headway with mine but it has been a struggle to get it shoot reasonably with cast. With jacketed pills mine shoots fine but it is not up to the sort of accuracy I get from my other iron sighted leverguns.

If I had my choice I'd get a Browning 92 and re-barrel with a cut-rifled barrel, maybe in 45 LC too.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Any reason for that, they couldn't be suffering from the overbore problem too that haunted Rossis could they?
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I think it has to do with the very shallow multi groove rifling they used in the 44. Pistol cals in rifles also have large throats but this is not unique to B-92's in 44 mag but perhaps the combination hasnt helped use with cast bullets. I've found large diameter (circa 0.434), heavyweight pills (approx 300gr) work reasonably well and surprisingly stabilise in the slow twist, but I would prefer rifling and throating better suited to cast bullets. So far I have resisted re-barrelling, preferring the challenge of trying to get it to work. Apparently B-92's in 357 dont have the same problem but have no personal experience with them.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

What kind of twist does the B-92 have?
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

B-92's in 44 mag have a twist rate of 1 in 38".
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Ah like the Marlins then, I read on this forum, maybe a month ago about that and it was said that such a twist is a bit too slow for .44mag and that Rossis come in a 1:20" twist which is preferrable for stabilizing 44mag bullets. So possibly that's another factor when it comes to B-92s being finicky with this caliber.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I really like my Marlin SS. My brother has a Henry and wouldn't trade it for nothing. Infact, he is about to purchase a Henry 357.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Roland wrote:Ah like the Marlins then, I read on this forum, maybe a month ago about that and it was said that such a twist is a bit too slow for .44mag and that Rossis come in a 1:20" twist which is preferrable for stabilizing 44mag bullets. So possibly that's another factor when it comes to B-92s being finicky with this caliber.
The Ruger 96/44 has a 1:20" twist rate... 8)

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

The twist rate, overbore, and accuracy issues with cast have all been discussed over on the Cast Boolits forum ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php ). The guys seem pretty happy with their '92s and other Levers now. A lot of guys are happy with Ranch Dog's molds; and the custom mold makers cost more but seem to work well too.

Aren't the Italians selling some 16" M92's now? I prefer the M92 design, but a Marlin would work.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Has anyone had experience with these Italian 92's- they have hit the market here and the fit and finish looks superior to South American ones.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Poohgyrr wrote:The twist rate, overbore, and accuracy issues with cast have all been discussed over on the Cast Boolits forum ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php ). The guys seem pretty happy with their '92s and other Levers now. A lot of guys are happy with Ranch Dog's molds; and the custom mold makers cost more but seem to work well too.

Aren't the Italians selling some 16" M92's now? I prefer the M92 design, but a Marlin would work.
Yeah I heard of the issue being fixed, I just dunno how old the M92 I'm getting is, so there's a chance it might be from a year when this was an issue, but I think the odds of that are very slim.

And chiappa is also making a 16" model yes, though I don't feel the 2x increase is worth the price, I could probably buy better stocks or refinish the existing ones, or possibly even refinish the gun in slow rust bluing if I wanted to really turn this 92 into a looker, would be cheaper than buying a chiappa.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Bypass the junk and get a Marlin.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

It will be 2 weeks before I receive a permit to acquire, and get my hands on my new purchase, but I found a second hand Browning 92 in 44 magnum this morning.

If it is as good as the seller says it is I have done well.

Thanks to you all for your advice and recommendations.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The Chiappas are coming in all standard lengths now. Oddly the 16" "trapper" sold by Cimarron is a heavy/ octagonal--sort of a short-short rifle, versus the traditional round barrel carbine configuration trappers.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I have been in 3 gun shops recently in Australia, all say they will only get Chiappas in as special order items because of quality concerns. After hearing that, I do not think I will buy one.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Hopefully I'm getting that Rossi 92 today.

Also I know an australian who works in a gunshop and he hasn't had anything good to say about them either, had to send most of them back becaue they where unuseable, some guns had no rifling I think he said... or was it no bore?
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Hey Lawyer Daggit, I see you've got one .
there's another on used guns for $850
don't know if its the picture or not but it looks like really nice wood.
http://usedguns.com.au/used_guns_whats_new.html
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Thats my gun!