OT: Be forewarned- germ x + felt (hat) = discoloration.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Be forewarned- germ x + felt (hat) = discoloration.

Post by mklwhite »

A while back I wrote about getting what I thought was an oil discoloration out of one of my felt hats. Since then I had another hat that started doing the same thing. I worked out what was going on. I use germ x quite a bit (work has me shaking hands and getting into all sorts of stuff) and I noticed that the areas of discoloration on my felt hats is where I touch them to take them off. Anyhow I figured out it's the germ x (could be a combination of germ x and sunlight) and it tends to bleach (brown) felt. :evil:
I thought I'd let others know so they can bear that in mind when putting on germ x and they have on their favorite felt hat.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Be forewarned- germ x + felt (hat) = discoloration.

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Isn't most of that stuff plain ol' glycerin..? Maybe a degreaser would get it out.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

mklwhite wrote: (work has me shaking hands and getting into all sorts of stuff)
That's why you just should just spit on yer hand before shaking it with someone, for pete sake.
You'll sort out the germ carriers thata way and won't catch nothin' from nobody, nohow, guaranteed!
otteray
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Isn't most of that stuff plain ol' glycerin..? Maybe a degreaser would get it out.
I tried a couple of things with limited success, but I thought maybe I was just getting rid of the discolored felt fibers. Do you have a degreaser product recommendation?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

germ-X:

Active ingredient:....................... Purpose:
Ethyl Alcohol 63% ......................Antiseptic

Inactive ingredients:
Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Benzophenone-4, Fragrance, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Water.

I just had a bottle of that stuff handy and thought I'd post the ingredients. Kind of looks like several of these could stain or lighten up the felt.
Not sure how to fix it though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I was listening to a discussion regarding a survey on the number of people who do not wash their hands after going to the toilet- I shake hands as little as possible these days.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lawyer Daggit wrote:I was listening to a discussion regarding a survey on the number of people who do not wash their hands after going to the toilet- I shake hands as little as possible these days.
I dislike shaking hands more than I can say. But at the same time I hate insulting folks I don't really know. They might actually turn out to be friendly.
I still do not offer my hand to anyone though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

you can re-stain yer hat to the proper color by leaving it in the barn yard when pin up the spring doggies!! :P :P

Rimrock