45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

45-70

Post by Marlin32 »

Got into a little "discussion" today about the 45-70 being big enough for moose. Seems this character thought he saw an "idiot" on tv hunting moose with a 45-70 and then began to regale us all with his reasoning of why this was moronic, and doubted that the tv show actually even used the 45-70.

Well, being a Know it all myself, couldn't help but jump feet first into that arguement. And I don't even shoot a 45-70. Good grief, the 45-70 was good for moose when it really was a 45 and 70grs!!! With today's offerings and custom or self loaded ammo, pretty hard to make a case against it. Now I would concede that it isn't a 400yd Big game rifle, but that was not the arguement.

Where is 86er when you need him in an arguement?
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: 45-70

Post by Doc Hudson »

If you really want to knock this moron on the head with facts and figures, go to the Garrett Cartridge Company's web site. Read Vin Lupo's stories of taking the African Big Six with a Marlin .45-70.

Tell the moron that if a .45-70 can take elephant, rhino, and Cape Buffalo it won't have any trouble with a moose.

You can also tell the idiot that just because he is not enough of a rifleman to hit anything beyond 100-150 yards with a .45-70 doesn't mean the .45-70 is a short-range cartridge, unless he considers 1200, yep TWELVE HUNDRED yards to be short range. In a good rifle with a good rifleman at the trigger 1200 yards is not an unreasonable range. FWIW, people who frequent this board have seen me whacking a 300 meter distant life-sized deer target with a .45-70 Rolling Block Rifle loaded with blackpowder.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE MOOSE IS THE LEAST HARDY OF THE DEER FAMILY. THE OVERWHELMING VAST MAJORITY OF MOOSE KILLED IN CANADA IN THE PAST 100 YEARS HAS BEEN DONE WITH 30-30 CARBINES AND OLD CUTDOWN 303BRIT RIFLES. ONE SHOT A PIECE IN THE CHEST CAVITY DOES IT EVERYTIME; BOOM..THUD.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We run two moose hunts every year, Quebec and New Brunswick. My guides and I carry 45-70's not only for a back-up on the moose but for the bears that may be wanting a free meal. We've had clients use 45-70's or borrow ours. First - moose show very little reaction to any shot with any caliber. Second - moose rarely run when hit, they kind of wander off and fall. So far, 7 moose hit in the chest with 405 gr Kodiak bullets loaded at 2000 fps and all went through (exited). 3 moose with 350 gr Kodiak at 2150 fps. Two exits, one recovered was not a broadside shot but a quartering to. All were one shot kills. My records show 1 moose shot with a Ruger #1 using standard 405 gr Remington Core-Lokt. One shot quartering away at 100 yards, a second shot hard quartering away at 130 yards. Both bullets recovered, one in a lung, one under the chin cut windpipe. Two moose were shot with 300 grain Winchester Supreme with Nosler Partition. One was shot 4 times, two in shoulder, spun around, one in ham and one in neck. Furthest shot 70 yards. The other shot in ribs quartering away and a quick follow up in same general area. That's all my data for 45-70. For comparison, I have very similar data for 375 H&H 300 grain; 300 Win Mag 180 grain; 35 Remington 200 grain; and 308 180 grain. An observer would not really know the difference between the reactions of any of the moose shot with any of the above. Just a note: An Eland is as big or bigger than a moose (around 1800 pounds -2200 pounds). I've shot two with 45-70 405 gr Kodiaks and both were one shot kills. One bullet was recovered in the off side shoulder and the other exited the other one.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

45-70's been killing the big six of africa since 1873. just don't tell the gun writers. this one and the 30wcf. killing enranged charging brown bear, really pisses them off :lol:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Terry Murbach wrote:THE MOOSE IS THE LEAST HARDY OF THE DEER FAMILY. THE OVERWHELMING VAST MAJORITY OF MOOSE KILLED IN CANADA IN THE PAST 100 YEARS HAS BEEN DONE WITH 30-30 CARBINES AND OLD CUTDOWN 303BRIT RIFLES. ONE SHOT A PIECE IN THE CHEST CAVITY DOES IT EVERYTIME; BOOM..THUD.
I have seen moose wander around aimlessly for several minutes, after being hit in the heart/lung area, with any of several different cartridges. Problem seems to be that moose are so stupid, they don't realize immediately that they're dead... As long as the brain is sufficiently oxygenated, they think they're still alive and well... The other problem is, that once they begin to feel faint, they seem to head for water. A dead moose in 4 ft of cold, muddy swamp can be a daunting recovery effort.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Terry Murbach wrote:THE MOOSE IS THE LEAST HARDY OF THE DEER FAMILY. THE OVERWHELMING VAST MAJORITY OF MOOSE KILLED IN CANADA IN THE PAST 100 YEARS HAS BEEN DONE WITH 30-30 CARBINES AND OLD CUTDOWN 303BRIT RIFLES. ONE SHOT A PIECE IN THE CHEST CAVITY DOES IT EVERYTIME; BOOM..THUD.
Terry ya beat me to it, someone forgot to tell the Moose that I got with my .30-30 wasn't a .300WinSuperDuperMag. One shot and it walked up to within ten yards of where I was crouched behind a deadfall, then fell over.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I took a 62" Bull with a .308, and I believe a 45-70 would also work!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Buck Elliott wrote:
I have seen moose wander around aimlessly for several minutes, after being hit in the heart/lung area, with any of several different cartridges. Problem seems to be that moose are so stupid, they don't realize immediately that they're dead... As long as the brain is sufficiently oxygenated, they think they're still alive and well... The other problem is, that once they begin to feel faint, they seem to head for water. A dead moose in 4 ft of cold, muddy swamp can be a daunting recovery effort.
Ain't that the truth! :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Marlin32 wrote:Got into a little "discussion" today about the 45-70 being big enough for moose. Seems this character thought he saw an "idiot" on tv hunting moose with a 45-70 and then began to regale us all with his reasoning of why this was moronic, and doubted that the tv show actually even used the 45-70.

Forget moose.

Ask your "character" what cartridge killed many if not most of the buffalo shot in the late 1800s.

And with loads "suitable for the Trapdoor Springfield" no less.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

A good friend of mine, upon returning from a moose hunt at an undisclosed (to you) location related a "funny" story. It seems that after all the hunters had returned with their moose, on of the camp staff mounted up on a log skidder with his trusty nylon 66 .22lr. A short time later he retuned with a bull in tow, having shot it 10 times in the chest with the .22. My friend related that the quote from this man was,"If the moose can't breath, the moose can't live."
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad you have some idiots too :lol: :lol: :lol: and :lol: :lol: they ain't all over here :lol:

Nath :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The old 45-70 is barely adequate for coues deer and close range coyotes. The nerve of some people trying to hunt moose with one :shock: :lol: (kidding guys)

But the comment about the fella emptying his .22 into a moose is disturbing -- it may have worked, but in that instance, anything .30 cal or above would have been a much more sane choice --- just from a humane perspective
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hitting at known distances with any rifle is one thing and shooting live animals at unknown distances that you likely have not practiced at specifically like 300 meters for instance is quite another, so is unknown wind drift especially on the first shot.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Streetstar wrote:The old 45-70 is barely adequate for coues deer and close range coyotes. The nerve of some people trying to hunt moose with one :shock: :lol: (kidding guys)

But the comment about the fella emptying his .22 into a moose is disturbing -- it may have worked, but in that instance, anything .30 cal or above would have been a much more sane choice --- just from a humane perspective
I would include the 7mm's and or 280 also many a broardhead! Then there is the 6.5mm swede!

Nate.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I like hunting Moose! I think they get a bad rap for being called dumb, they are dumb during the rut though, but I like to shoot non stinky animals :lol: So I hunt after the rut I have had them play Whitetail games on me I think they have more upstairs than a Mule Deer. As too the 45/70 it's a perfect Moose gun for close range say no more than 150yds, sure you can shoot further with modern hot loads and heck they used it for 1000yrd target shooting in Black powder form too but them shooters are good!
It's just easy to pick up my .375H&H and not worry about hold over on a animal from 25 to 250 yards.
My Brother killed a Moose with a 6mm Rem two fast shots (second one was not needed) killed it within 30yrds. And the Biggest Elk I have ever seen killed was with a 32 Win Spec. Well did not see it herd the shot and walked over the hill to see one very happy hunter, and that was a good 150 yrd shot too.
P.S he was not so happy 4 hours later when we finally got back to camp tired, sore and Bloody.And I still regret selling him that gun.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

45-70 Short Range ??? :lol: :?: (or enough for moose) :lol:

Here is the LONG RANGE Load I shoot in my Ruger#1

400gr Barnes O @ 2100fps

Here is the Facts:

Distance/Velocity/Energy figures below: (sighted in zero@200yds)

Muzzle/2100fps/3916

100 yds(+4") 1903fps/3216
200 yds(0) 1720fps/2628
300 yds (-15") 1554fps/2145

Moose/Elk/Bear no problem out to 300yds! (get a good Rangefinder to be almost exact)
Tad over a foot holdover even at 300yds and still wacking a moose kinda like shooting it at the muzzle with a sort of cross between a .475 Linebaugh and a 454Casull with Heavy Loads!
Or'
About like shooting one with a 8" .500S&W at 75yds

Think that should do?

About 4 years ago shot a 420lb blackie at 280yds(+/- couple yards :wink: ) and it completely passed through both sides and he went about 20yards :wink:

Oh-------400 yrds (-46")1404fps/1751-----------with a 400gr bullet Kinda think it still could be a big gamer.
A moose at rangefinder 400yds on a still day with the moose standing still broadside(I might take it)
Since stock .475 Linebaugh ammo runs at about 1300fps at muzzle??????
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Oh, I think nowadays they advise a crew-served weapon for moose...........
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

What's not to like about a 45-70? 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV