30 cal Wildcat for model model 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

30 cal Wildcat for model model 92

Post by NonPCnraRN »

If I recall correctly I seem to remember that Paco Kelly developed a 30 cal wildcat based on a 41 mag cartridge necked down to 30 cal. How about a wildcat based on the 454 Casull length cartridge? The longer cartridge would still allow plenty of neck length to hold the bullet while holding a large amount of powder. The overall length would be the same as the 41 mag to 45 Colt length cartridges. It could be used in a 92 Win clone. For a larger capacity a 475 Linebaugh case could be necked down with a oal of the usual magnum pistol length cartridges. The rub with that is that 480 Ruger 92 has been discontinued. So a 454 Casull based wildcat would be the better choice. A 20 inch barrel would hold 10 rounds in the mag. Does anyone see any merit in such a cartridge in a levergun? I am looking for a multishot flat shooting carbine with the power of the 30-30. Would there be much interest in such a multicapacity 30 cal carbine? Will the resulting cartridge have a shape that lends itself to smooth chambering in a model 92?
Hobie

Re: 30 cal Wildcat for model model 92

Post by Hobie »

There have been several such cartridges. It seems to me that the key to the design is to first find the bullet(s) you intend to use so that you can set the case length to something that with the bullet(s) fits the action. IIRC Paco got some very good velocities in his cartridge. I haven't found the article on the articles page but I do remember it. Maybe I'll remember where it is a little later. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie, NonPCnraRN;

Perhaps the article is on Pacos CD book: "Leverguns And Handguns.."
I'll check my copy later today if you want.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

J Miller wrote:Hobie, NonPCnraRN;

Perhaps the article is on Pacos CD book: "Leverguns And Handguns.."
I'll check my copy later today if you want.

Joe
I was thinking a 150 gr 30-30 bullet for game such as deer. But before spending too much time researching the feasability, I was wondering if there would be a demand for such a firearm / cartridge combination. Other than novelty would such a gun providing 4 more rounds in a 20 inch carbine be of any practicle use compared to a 6 shot 30-30? I know there is an allure with the 92 holding 10 cartridges from 357 mag through 454 Casull but for practical hunting applications wouldn't 5-6 rounds be enough? Therein lies the quandry, would such a weapon fill some void applicable to hunting? Would anyone want such a weapon? Would a mid sized 92 action that could handle 307 Win pressures be more useful? The 92 is for pistol length cartridges and the 1886 is for rounds much more powerful than the 30-30 and 307 and is heavy to boot. I was thinking of a strong 92 type action that would shoot a short but fat cartridge equivalent to the 30-30 or better yet 307 Win ballistics. Or would a mid sized action somewhere between the 92 and 1886 that would handle the Win 307 and 356 level of power be more realistic? I know we had the Big Bore Winchesters but they weren't sleek like the 94 or 92 action and people prefered the slender lines of the traditional lever actions. Is there a market for a 6 lb 10 shot levergun utilizing 30-30 to 307 ballistics?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Just my opinion mind you, but to me this seems to border on re-inventing the wheel since not only is .30-30 still alive and kicking, but with Hornady Leverevolution ammo it's alive and well. Simply having a few more rounds in the tube just doesn't do much of anything for me personally.

For plinking purposes I'd much rather see a .40 S&W chambered gun. The standard/ubiquitous FMJ bullet for the .40 S&W is a flat faced truncated cone that would lend itself well to a lever gun and what a hoot it would be, in my opinion, to have that gun for plinking. And of course the ballistics are nearly identical to .38-40 so we know it's capable of taking deer with sensible shots also.

Unfortunately they'd probably sell just over a hundred of them to weird guys like me so I wont hold my breath. :D

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

Mebbe something like a rimmed .30BR? Could be made on .307 brass. With the Lyman 311440 it would be pretty short and more powerful than the 30-30.
Jay
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

"4 more rounds in a 20 inch carbine be of any practicle use compared to a 6 shot 30-30" . The standard 94 holds more ammo than you need as is. I carried a short magazine 94 carbine for years, 3 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. I never used a mag full shooting at a deer in my life. My father carried an 86 rifle (.33 Winc) most of his life and never put more than 3 rounds in the mag. I found that out one time about 71 when I took it hunting and put 4 rounds in the tube. He rarely fired it more than once a year and made meat. If it interests you go for it, might be a fun exercise but if I had one I probably still wouldn't put more than 4 rounds in it.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

You might have to 'plug' the mag tube in some states (thereby negating the advantage) as they have limitations on ammo capacities as I remember. I know for sure they do on semi-autos but may also on leverguns.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds interesting, and as many wildcats have eventually become factory calibers, don't let us stop you from wildcatting if that is what you want to do. I don't see a need, but that shouldn't matter in the slightest.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

So, what you are wanting is a .30-.454 Bains-Davis rather than a .357-.44 Bains-Davis...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep, a '357/44 Bain & Davis' could become a '.308/454 Whoozits' pretty easily. Just make sure the pressures are kept reasonable, and the cartridge feeds ok.

Maybe use a ".32-20" bullet instead, and call it a ".32-20 Casull" . . . 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "