OT Blue Dot Warning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

OT Blue Dot Warning

Post by brno602 »

I was looking for some data on 41 Mag loads with Blue Dot, as I was given a box of 170 gr Seirra's, saw the Warning Not to use Blue Dot in the .41 Mag with any bullet or the .357 with 125 gr bullets.
My Blue Dot is still Hercules not Alliant, only have a Half pound left Will still use it as this old number was safe in both my .41 and .357 Yes I worked up the loads carefully and I am not even close to max, And again I am using the old Herc Blue Dot powder.
I guess they changed the New Blue dot? so I am not going to buy a new pound of it. But the .41 mag Warning is strange to me as I have always found the .41 easy to load for and responds the same for me as to working up loads for the .44 or .45. I also found the 125 gr 357 load I use to be a rather mild load, I like to be kind to my Model 13 and not run hot stuff through it.
I will heed the warning and not try the new Blue Dot but I do find it strange that they only say .41 mag. With all the other powders I have tried they seem to respond the same I still use 296 or 110 in both.
In a way it baffles me the .41 and .44 are so close both are simple to load for, both opperate at the same pressure.
Hobie

Re: OT Blue Dot Warning

Post by Hobie »

When this warning was first issued many commented on the apparent illogic of the parameters. I only use Blue Dot for the 10mm Auto but know several folks that use it for reduced loads in the .223 Rem. Nobody had had any problems.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Hobie wrote:When this warning was first issued many commented on the apparent illogic of the parameters. I only use Blue Dot for the 10mm Auto but know several folks that use it for reduced loads in the .223 Rem. Nobody had had any problems.
Ya it is a very strange Warning I think we all know about the 296/110 Warning to not reduce the charge but thats for all cals. Oh well I still have enough to load up and shoot my free box of bullets :D
Funny you said the reduced .223 loads I use it in my .222 with Hornet bullets too works great!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have used it in Hornet and 30/30 but I did learn how it spikes very quickly if you try and be clever with it!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I believe the warning was for their published loads, not the powder, but rather than try to explain that they just said not to use the powder at all in those configurations.

I used to use it and found it very accurate, but once I had a slightly delayed ignition and that hasn't happened with any other powder.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

El Chivo wrote:I believe the warning was for their published loads, not the powder, but rather than try to explain that they just said not to use the powder at all in those configurations.

I used to use it and found it very accurate, but once I had a slightly delayed ignition and that hasn't happened with any other powder.
Thats what happened on the Hornet then when it did go it blew the primer pocket. The gun was a Savage 24.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have fired several thousand rounds of 44-40 with 10 grains of Blue Dot and a Lasercast 180 grain bullets. By far the most accurate load of any I have tried. Never had the slightest problem.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

Wasn't it Paco Kelly that really liked BlueDot for use in the .41 mag?

I remember my Sierra loading manual many years ago gave the highest velocity for .357 mag w/ 158 grain bullets to BlueDot. I always wanted to try some just for that but somehow never did, I ended up using 2400 or 296 instead.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

bj94 wrote: I remember my Sierra loading manual many years ago gave the highest velocity for .357 mag w/ 158 grain bullets to BlueDot. I always wanted to try some just for that but somehow never did, I ended up using 2400 or 296 instead.
I know my Lee book has BlueDot listed as one of the top velocity loads for 180gr jacketed so your info wouldn't suprise me. Of coarse that book is pre- Lil'Gun and some of the other newer powders. But the BlueDot load I use does all I need and is scary accurate in my Security Six.

LK
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I use BD in .357 and .44mag. The only powder I use. Don't see a reason to change yet. I don't load max amounts of it, but I don't load down too much, either. No matter the bullet weight, I like to keep loads around 1200fps.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I know that many have disregarded my experiences, and I've said it before, but I experienced pierced primers with light loads of BD in the 44Mag using lighter than listed charges. I won't use it any more, not only because of that but for other reasons as well, basically because I've found other powders which work better IMO. BTW, the Ruger SBH that I experienced this in has never had this issue with any other loads or powders I've used.

Ed