Spring Snow In North Texas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Spring Snow In North Texas

Post by crs »

Here in Farmersville, we have accumulated 6+ inches overnight and it made many interesting scenes for the photographer.
The kids, dogs, and horses love it, but after outdoor chores, most folks are just catching up on reading and other indoor activities.
Texas weather - it was 65 degrees last week and is forecast to be 74 by the middle of the coming week.
I hope it did not get cold enough to freeze the fruit trees and early flower buds.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Spring Snow In North Texas

Post by awp101 »

We got a dusting, roughly a 1/2" on the grass and roofs. The roads were too warm for it to stick anywhere else.

Once again, it appears some Yankee left the door open up there... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Must be that "Lake Effect" snow we hear so much about! :twisted: :twisted: A friend in Irving said he only got an inch or so!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

As far as the plants/trees go, I'd rather have snow than frost. The snow acts as an insulator when a cold front comes through. Without the snow, the frost will do in new Spring buds for sure.

A tip: If you do get frost on new buds and on plants, you can save them by rinsing the frost off with water from a garden hose/sprinkler BEFORE the sun hits them. I don't know why that works but it does. Ya gotta get up early to do it but it sure beats losing yer tomato plants.

We have no snow now but our snow season won't be over until late May/early June so it's possible we could still be dumped on.

Nice picture by-the-way.
ED
Yer never too old
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

OH MY, it looks like its another case of GLOBAL WARMING has hit the area :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
kbak303
Levergunner

Post by kbak303 »

we got married in Arkansas over the weekend (no sister jokes :P)
and heading back via I30 through Texarkana from Hot Springs it was blowing like crazy but not sticking to the roads at 38 degrees
got back to Arlington and nothing left :x

I heard on the news the other day they are saying Global Warming CAUSED all this cold/wet stuff this year :lol:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff,
How much snow fell ay your place?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow! It was 77 and sunny here yesterday. Rainy this morning, but it held off long enough for Y2K and the scouts to get back in from their camp out!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Got about 4" here early Saturday. I was sweating bullets, my biological Mom and baby Sis were having to drive to Utah thru the TX panhandle...everyone's home safe.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

UncleBuck wrote:OH MY, it looks like its another case of GLOBAL WARMING has hit the area :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
probably is - another 6 inches of the polar ice cap sublimating onto north Texas.

thanks for the photos - when I was going to school in Nashville (yes, been awhile) we had a big snow the first of April.
Texas weather? In '96, we had a week of 100-degree highs in February followed by an ice storm the first of March.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Here in Kansas where I'm at near Abilene, we got maybe 2 or 3 inches, but somehow on the open wheat fields all around my hose it blows and dumps on our road off the farm. Had to remove a biunch of snow Sunday just to drive out of here, almost bare everywhere else. Good exercise I guess.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yep, Friday it was 70+ degrees. Saturday a cold, cold rain hit and dumped more water on an already saturated NE Texas. It evens snowed briefly on Sat. But yesterday, it snowed almost all day. The ground was warm, so we never accumulated more than 5 or 6 inches here (and only slush on the roads.) but I bet it snowed much, much more than that. It's supposed to be in the 60s today again.

Kinda weird looking at the snow covered trees with buds and blossoms all over them. I don't think it got cold enough to hurt them much.

I think the latest it has ever snowed here was April 5 (in my lifetime.) In 1987, we had a week-long ice and snow storm about this time of years. I don't think we have had snowy weather last over 3 days since then. I'm glad we had several snow episodes this year. I had about forgotten what it looked like. And lots of youngsters got to build their first snowman.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think this snow was all a part of the NAFTA, and that our Government just simply accepted some of that overabundant cold air and snow from Canada. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Griff wrote:Must be that "Lake Effect" snow we hear so much about! :twisted: :twisted: A friend in Irving said he only got an inch or so!

That was FUNNY!!!

Just a "Dirty Yankee" Checkin in!! :D :D

jb :lol:
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

All I can say is....... Thank God for Global Warming. Imagine how much snow we would have gotten in North TX if not for that;)
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Well, global warming brought us 12" here in the Ozark mountains near Fayetteville. Snowed from Saturday mid-afternoon until late Sunday night. Never thought I would ever say it, but I'm kinda ready for the tick and chigger season! :o
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Let's see...snow Friday night/Sat morning and I mowed the yard for the second time this year yesterday evening. :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

GoatGuy wrote:...... Never thought I would ever say it, but I'm kinda ready for the tick and chigger season! :o
I'll NEVER say that, no matter how much I hate snow!!!

And if anybody out there doesn't know what a chigger is...you don't wanna know.

(hey, I made a rhyme that time)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

awp101 wrote:Let's see...snow Friday night/Sat morning and I mowed the yard for the second time this year yesterday evening. :lol:

One word for ya...Simazene! Man's best friend, next to MSMA.
It's been too muddy the past 6 months to spray the yard without losing my spray wagon.

It was funny to be outside on a nice warm day yesterday...warm southerly breeze in my face...trees (and weeds) bloomed out..and I look up and see snow on the roof! The girls were wearing short shorts in town today. :D
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

vancelw wrote:
GoatGuy wrote:...... Never thought I would ever say it, but I'm kinda ready for the tick and chigger season! :o
I'll NEVER say that, no matter how much I hate snow!!!
Well vancelw, I don't really want to hurry that pesky, pesty season. But it's more than just this last 12" snowfall. This fall and winter, we've had more rain, snow, ice storms, high humidity with low temps and just generally miserable weather than I can remember having had around here. So with my approaching twilight years gaining momentum, and the arthritis in my fingers getting worse by leaps and bounds, working outdoors tending to this farm and our livestock has been the pits. Really I'm not looking forward to the bugs as much as I'm yearning for more warm and/or hot days with the greatest anticipation. And with that type weather, comes the BUGS!.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm with you about bringing on summer...I'm ready. You just don't have to remind me of the red bugs. They'll remind me soon enough.

One good thing I can say about winter, is I don't have to mow the yard.

We're so wet here that a heavy dew swells the creeks. I'm glad they oil topped our road a few years back. Otherwise, this winter we would have driven the gravel well below grade by now.
You can thank my daughter for the rain. She want to get married in our backyard in June. It better stop raining soon or that's not going to happen, unless the wedding party likes dairy boots.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Hey, what's not to like about dairy boots? :D
Our February hog hunt would have been a bust without dairy boots.

PS Those pork chops are like venison medallions - tender and oh, so tasty.