Prayer Request

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Prayer Request

Post by shooter »

I have debated on whether or not to post this on here. I don't do this very often, but my family could use all the prayers we can get right now. Last Sunday my great grandmother died. Our family was shook up by that, but we expected it. Yesterday my closest uncle put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger right in front of his wife at the Dallas Arboretum. My family is in shambles right now. Some of you may have known him. His name is Shawn Purkey. He went as Shawn45 on all of the boards he posted on. He hasn't posted on here in quite some time, but he was on the original Leverguns board, the Sixgunner board, and several others. He will be sorely missed, and was a great man and great father. He taught me most of what I know about hunting, shooting, reloading, and a lot of other things. We were planning on going to the CSA in Arkansas this next weekend. His only downfall was his depression and the selfish act that resulted from that. I can't even put into words what we are going through right now. He left behind a wife and 2 kids, which blows my mind why he would have done that. He has been battling depression for over a year now, and he just couldn't take it, and finally lost the battle. I am so mad at him, yet I hurt for the pain he was feeling at the same time. Any of you that have ever lost someone in this manner know the feelings my family are having now. Please keep us in your prayers. Life will go on, and the rest of us will make it through even though it will be hard. I just became the father figure for his 2 boys, and I am proud to do it even though I shouldn't have had to. Thanks for listening to me.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Prayer Request

Post by Malamute »

Very sorry to hear of the losses in your family. Prayers up for all those closest to the losses, and strength to bear the load.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thank you. I know that God never gives us more than we can handle, but sometimes it does seem that way. God can heal all wounds and give us the strength to get through whatever trials he puts in our way. I have to be strong for those two boys. That's what I keep telling myself. It is so hard. I am talking to one of them right now on Facebook, and I can hardly keep back the tears. Sorry to unload all of this on ya'll, but it helps to know people are praying.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Very sorry to hear this......will lift you all up in prayer here for sure.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My brother closest to me in age took his life so I have an idea of what you're going through. To those of us looking in from the outside we ask why and usually don't have a good answer. All I can say is the pain here is more than they can bear. Time dulls the sharpness of the pain but it never goes away. I pray for your family.
Old Law Dawg
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your family members.
Prayers sent
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Done. I have no words to explain how I feel for your situation, so heal well.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

On the list . . .

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

mmm. Heal well friend. You and yours.
Prayers up.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Prayer offered Sir, for you and yours........................Mutt
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Prayers up for your entire family.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

My family went through a very similar experience in 2008 lost 1 grandmother and 2 uncles in 6 months. :(
One of the uncles also shot himself because he was very depressed. At first I was mad but the more I thought about it
the more I came to peace with it. The man had a sickness that only he could deal with. People that don't have that sickness
dont know what it is like. He dealt with it in the only way he could. This does not make it right, but I am no longer mad at him, time heals all things. I will pray for your family, and hopefully things start to get back on track for you. God bless.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

prayers up for your family. And prayers up for those who have been through similar tradegy.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Prayers offered...........
NRA Life Member
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Prayers sent for you and your family, so very sorry for your losses. Depression is a terrible condition. My son has suffered from it in the past, I lived in fear of 'the' phone call for several years. He's better now, thank God, after a lot of smothering love from my family. Unfortunately there are so very many that no one or nothing on this earth can reach.

I admire you for being willing to step up for the boys, it'll be a hard job with lots of questions that there are no easy answers for. Seeking professional help is nothing to be ashamed of, I never could get my son to get counseling but I did to try and learn how to help him. I think it helped.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Prayer's sent......
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That is so sad, my prayers are sent to you all. May he now rest in peace.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Prayers sent. A person going through desression only thinks of one thing--the pain they are experiencing--no let up---24/7---sleepless nights--failing relationships---it all leads to other mishaps/ health issues/drug & alcohol abuse which cause more depression. The infected only see one way out

I knew Shawn45 from the Sixgunner board. He was a good & knowledgable guncrank. Very sorry to hear of someone leaving Earth in this fashion. I've known more than a few who have done this. My heart & prayers goes out to his family.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Done, Amigo.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Done; glad to do it. Prayer works and it is always an honor to be asked. Family is very important. Our prayers and best wishes for you and your family.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Absolutely. Prayers up...
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

You and your family are in my prayers.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Done.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Shooter,
Very sorry to hear of the situation.
Prayers said.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

The boys seem very open to counseling. I will be talking to counselors to better learn how to deal with their questions. I can get through this fine, eventually with God's help. I know Shawn knew the Lord, and I know he is with Him right now and is not in pain anymore. It doesn't make it easy, but it helps to know I will see him again someday in a place where there is no sorrow. My goal right now is to be there for the boys, but not to be their dad. I will be a father figure, but they are going to have to learn how to adjust to not having a full time dad. That's why I will be talking to counselors, to better learn how to help them in this transition, and to know how I need to be there for them in this time. Thank you all so much for your prayers. That is the only thing anyone can do for our family. I don't know how anyone can make it through a situation like this without help from the Almighty.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Prayers up!!
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Prayer said. May he rest in peace.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I wanted to add something, but can't put it into words. Prayers continue.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.