I finally got a 405 win in a 1895 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

I finally got a 405 win in a 1895 Winchester

Post by dgr416 »

Yeah I finally got of all things a Teddy Roosevelt model 1895 in 405 win.I am probally going to shoot it.I need some dies,brass and bullets if anyone has any extras to sell.I lucked up on this one.I sold a bunch of my old hunting books and poof I had the money at the right time this time.It hardly ever works that way for me.I have wanted one for 30 years.I missed an original 1895 405 win in Alaska for $750 and a new one for $800 with tons of Extras.I know where a new one is for $925 if anyone wants a regular new one.Its like new just shot 6 times.I cant wait till this thing arrives .It looked awesome in the pictures I hope its just as pretty in person.I guess i will have to put in for a buffalo permit to use my new 405 win .Any more 405 shooters on here?
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: I finally got a 405 win in a 1895 Winchester

Post by Kansas Ed »

I've been shooting the .405 for close to 20 years now. It's a really addictive cartridge. Easy to load, and very versatile. I've shot grouse (yep head shot), porcupines, and deer with mine. I exclusively use the Hawk Bullets with a .025 jacket. I also use Bertram Brass, and run them through Redding Dies. Powder of Choice is IMR-4064. Enjoy the cartridge, you'll fall in love with it.

Ed
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Congrats on a good find.
The 1895 Winchester is just about the slickest action that I have ever worked.
I got one a couple of years ago (current production) and enjoyed shooting it.
The ammo and component prices will take your breath away though.

I got lucky again a few months after and found one of the Browning 1895s in '06.
It already had a receiver sight installed, which suited me just fine.
The Browning seems to like cast bullets so I can shoot it as much as I please. :D

I've been thiinking seriously about one of the 1895 saddle ring carbines lately.
The 1895s can become addictive....

Jack
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Been chasing one for years. Never seem to be in the right place with the right $.

Congrats on the find.

We expect photos and a range report as soon as possible. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Congrats on the '95. I'm looking for one too, only in a little more user friendly caliber :lol: . I'm turning into a sissy in my old age. I always wanted a SRC in .30-06 but I think I'll get the .30-40 Krag to be a little gentler on the action.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Good for you. I have had several repros. chambered in .405. Many great components are available. I had great luck with H-4198, Hornady brass, and Mt. Baldy 350gr cast sized .414. My favorite was a B 95 chambered in .30-06 though. Best Wishes, 1886.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I've been messing with the 405 for several years. Back on the real Paco Kellys leverguns forum, I had a lot of testing data posted.
Basically in a nutshell, Rl 15 is about as good as it gets for accuracy and velocity with jacketed bullets. aa 5744 is the go to for cast bullets. Using h4895 youth data with jacketed bullets makes for some excellent accuracy.
Hornady's jacketed bullets in the early production were to soft jacketed to be counted on for hunting work, so Northfork or Barnes were the best to go with for hunting.
When you get tired of the recoil, limbsavers 10112 recoil pad is a pretty close fit, just needs a little sanding on the comb on one side and the toe on the other. They may have made a pad to fit sometime in the last 7 or 8 years tho, so might be a good thing to download the templates and see which one fits.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

1895 .405?
Are you sure that one is enough? It wasn't for me. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I know where there is a genuine 1895 Winchester lever going in 405 in Australia, there is even a picture of it in one of the books on 1895s Saw it the other day (Monday) at Cleaver firearms in Brisbane. I said to the owner nice looking 95 whats it in 303, he says no 405 Win. Will ask him the serial number and post a reply. Anyone who might be interested you can contact him at www.cleaverfirearms.com then follow the contact us link.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Good for you BUT WE MUST HAVE PIX!

I love mine. I hunt with it an lately I've shot sillouettes with it. Knocks the stuff out of those steel pigs!

Enjoy. The loading components are out there. The only commercial loading that I have found is Hornady.

8)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

R Lee is still looking for his picture.... :P

And I guess that I'll just have to be happy shooting bunnys and squirrels with my 95... its only chambered for 30 US :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I need to get off butt and start loading...just need dies :oops: I may have a pad fitted, I ain't gonna sell this one :wink: The factory Hornady ammo really packs a punch: 300gr at around 2450fps, and leaves a mark with the metal buttplate.

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow - 2450 with a 300 grain pill in a 405? I thought 2200 was max for that bullet weight?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

Have yall seen any Hornady brass.I found tons of ammo.whats the brass life .I heard its about 4 loadings.I cant wait to shoot it.I shoot 416 rem mag alot so this is a pop gun to me with a pad on it.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Wow - 2450 with a 300 grain pill in a 405? I thought 2200 was max for that bullet weight?
Yep 2450 is plumb doable, howsomever that rifle gets to be terribly nonuser friendly at that level. :o But it does kill good. :mrgreen:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

dgr416 wrote:Have yall seen any Hornady brass.I found tons of ammo.whats the brass life .I heard its about 4 loadings.I cant wait to shoot it.I shoot 416 rem mag alot so this is a pop gun to me with a pad on it.
I have some brass that have gone over a dozen reloads at full pressure loads. The pressure the 405 operates at isn't all that high. Check Hogdons webdata .
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I am buying 4 boxes of the Teddy Roosevelt ammo from winchester.It has nickle bras which I really like.I am going to the gun show this weekend.I have tons of 41 mag bullets I can shoot in it for practice.I am going to put a nice recoil pad on it.I swear I hasd a williams scope mount for my Browning 1895 in 3006 .I dont know if it would even fit.I know where that regular grade 405 is that fired in perfict shape for $925 thats a good deal.I just like the teddy Roosevelt model way better.I can wait to shoot a black bear with it.Has anyone tried the 400 gr load for it yet?I think it goes 2000 fps kinda slow but a good load.I think the 300 gr will do good on moose out to 150 yards if I can shoot that far with open sites.I am usually a scope guy.Dang I am glad I got this gun.It was the first time I had a chance on it and I jumped on it quick!!!!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The factory ammo sure as heck doesn't do any 2450.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

DON! YOU'RE GONNA BLOW YOUR RIFLE UP! READ THE BOOK!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P Sorry, couldn't help myself :wink:

Seriously, isn't this +P? I mean, 250 fps over max publish loads in a springy action like the M95 has?

And Blaine, are you sure about that Hornady load? Again, 250 fps... wow.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: Beg pardon...should have looked before running my mouth......2200fps with 300 grain. :oops: :oops: Still hurts :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Didn't say it couldn't be done, just that factory stuff doesn't.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

L I M B S A V E R !

That is all I have to say about that.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I've got one of these in the Take-Down configuration still brand new in the box, brand new Hornady dies that have never been open. Bought the thing 'cause my brother-in-law wanted it for guided hunt in Alaska. When it arrived at my house, my brother-in-law asked if I could wait a year until he paid me back....that was four-five years ago. I never gave him the rifle either...still in the box and he never went to Alaska (he tried to stiff his buddy too, that shelled out for the trip, when my brother-in-law pulled the same wait till next year to reimburse thing to him). I've got $1100.00 stuck into that thing, wonder if I will every get my money out of it...maybe I should start using it????
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

OTH,

If it is new in the box it should be easy to to sell. More and more folks are getting aquanted with the .405 Win again. I know when I go to the range it sure turns a lot of heads and starts some good conversations.

Shoot it, you may just like it.

Cheers 8)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd like to get acquainted with one :) from the rifle end, not the muzzle end of course :shock:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I don't have a .405 in a 95 but I do have an Encore barrel chambered in the caliber. It's a real thumper! I do have an original 95 chambered in 30-40 Krag.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

just recently scored a src in 3006. paid $850 for new in box. was holding out for one for $125 less. but, life's too short. it took me along time to find one at that price :(
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I picked up an original in .30 US a couple of years ago after drooling after them for more than a decade.

When I first got the itch I was working in Houston 3 days a week just a few blocks from Collectors. I spent my lunch hours there trying to keep my hand off my wallet. Back then they had racks of them for $300-$350. Same with 94s for $100. Like a fool I didn't get a few then.

The one I got had been reblued years ago and has an old Redfield peep on it. The stock had some problems. It had been sitting in one of the Cabela's gun libraries for quite some time. I was able to bargain them down quite a bit and then I paid for it with my Cabels Club points so I felt pretty good about that. As soon as I got it home I restocked it and gave the wood a tung oil finish. I also replaced a funky aftermarket front sight on it using an XS blade with the white line. Although not totally traditional I am a true believer from using Ashley sights on my Marlin 1895.

I am a monster TR fan. I have a couple dozen books on him as well as the over 20 volume set of his collected works that was published right after his death. Hunting with a '95 is almost like hunting with TR. I have a hunting buddy that I have been talking about doing a totally traditional deer hunt with. I am a traditional camping gear nut, canvas wall tents, cast iron cookware, etc. If we do it I will use my Win '95 and he will use his father's old Krag. I got him hooked on the idea by casting some bullets in the campfire during one of our trips.

Enjoy that '95 and never let it slip away.

Dave
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Don McDowell wrote:Image
This elk ain't got no legs...

:shock:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

firefuzz wrote:Congrats on the '95. I'm looking for one too, only in a little more user friendly caliber :lol: . I'm turning into a sissy in my old age. I always wanted a SRC in .30-06 but I think I'll get the .30-40 Krag to be a little gentler on the action.

Rob
Go for it !!! Winchester licensed Miroku in 1995 to produce some 8000 Winchester 95s in 30-06 - half in Grade 1 and half in Hi Grade. My wife got me this one in Hi Grade for our 25th anniversary 5 years ago -

I was "New In Box, unfired, with manual" - I suspect it had been in an estate of a collector and family was just unloading all the collection - got it for $15.00 less than the MSRP listed in the 1996 Gun Digest.

Well, OK, so I did help her locate it on GA - we husbands are obligated to help our wives in any way we can - :roll:

It's a joy to shoot and, after zeroing it to hit POA at 25 yards, I fine tuned it at 100 yards to hit 2" above POA - all done in less than one box of ammo using only elbow rest on table - I admit to being somewhat recoil insensitive but I find it pure pleasure to shoot - it just takes longer at the range because so many shooters want to look at it - I doubt there's much difference in recoil between 30-06 and 30-40 Krag.

I have friends that use one in 30-40 Krag and like it - that was the rifle that took what was for many years, the prize elk on Boone & Crockett - just west of Crested Butte. -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Glad I put my bib on when I saw the title of this thread. Every one of those '95s looks great, thanks for sharing.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt