Vintage Picture Of The Day.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Vintage Picture Of The Day.

Post by cshold »

A slightly different look than what we normally think a cowboy should look like. "Dress shirts, a bowtie and a derby hat?" The Lone Star State circa 1901. "Camp wagon on a Texas roundup." Dry plate glass negative by William Henry Jackson, Detroit Publishing Co.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Vintage Picture Of The Day.

Post by FWiedner »

Looks like the owners jawin' over a cup of coffee while everyone else is out working. Nobody is dressed to work or looks even slightly disheveled except the guy pulling the pot off the fire, and that's a lot of cookware to serve 4 men.

Maybe they're interviewing to decide whether or not they wanna hire a cookie.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Must be Sunday :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Why do the coffee pots taper to be narrower at the top, while buckets taper to be narrower at the bottom? Just curious.
NRA life member
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Casastahle that is such a good picture that it is now my background for a while, does look like the bosses having a bit of a chinwag while the boys are out working.
I think the movies and television have done real Cowboys such a disservice, I spend a fair bit of time looking at Erwin E Smith pictures, and I just note how well dressed so many of the people are, and what good condition so many of the horses are in.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Thats gonna be me and a couple of my huntn' buddies this weekend...
except my chuck wagon is a little newer!
great pic!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Camping in style!!! 8)
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

bmtshooter wrote:Why do the coffee pots taper to be narrower at the top, while buckets taper to be narrower at the bottom? Just curious.
Well, the buckets being wider at the top make for a convenient "sit down crapper" should the urge hit while out and about. I always carry at least one in my truck for just such a situation and when out of town on a road trip, one in the Expedition for the same purpose. Oh, don't forget the toilet paper. Always have two rolls in each vehicle.

Coffe pot (perc or not) is tapered at the top to accomodate a smallish basket to hold the grinds.

Great pic by-the-way.
ED
Yer never too old
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Modoc ED wrote:
bmtshooter wrote:Why do the coffee pots taper to be narrower at the top, while buckets taper to be narrower at the bottom? Just curious.
Well, the buckets being wider at the top make for a convenient "sit down crapper" should the urge hit while out and about. I always carry at least one in my truck for just such a situation and when out of town on a road trip, one in the Expedition for the same purpose. Oh, don't forget the toilet paper. Always have two rolls in each vehicle.

Coffe pot (perc or not) is tapered at the top to accomodate a smallish basket to hold the grinds.

Great pic by-the-way.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Just a guess: Can you imagine using a bucket tapered (narrower) at the top to put out a fire? Might be tough to throw the water very far. I realize this isn't necessarily the primary purpose of a bucket. How are the old leather fire-buckets shaped?