What can you shoot any time?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

What can you shoot any time?

Post by Nath »

A friend and I clobbered two more fox's last night. One was an old vixen blind in one eye. .270 bolt gun @ 40yds and a black dog@ 50yds. Any way I got to wondering how you guys have limits on what you shoot but over here there is no limits on anything unless stated by the landowner.
Is there any critters that you guys can help yourselves to any time unlimited?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Coyotes
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Is that it for you S Cali's?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Coyotes, feral hogs, striped skunk, beaver and nutria are all that I know about in OK. No bag limits.
Last edited by cnjarvis on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Forgive my ignorance but what is nutria? :oops:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

frogs.In Tennessee we can't shoot after dark unless your raccoon hunting with a .22lr.Can't shoot crows unless it's fri. sat. or sun.,then its no limit.can't have a loaded rifle in your truck(carry permit allows a loaded hangun,go figure) .Can't have a shotgun slug and shotshell in your possession at the same time while hunting.Cant shoot small game or turkeys with any centerfire (turkeys can only be killed with a shotgun or archery equipment)Oh yea ,you can't shine your truck headlights across a field or you are guilty of spotlighting.That means don't pull up and turn aroun at a gate where your lights might accidentally shine on a deer.Heaven forbid you have a rifle in your truck too. :?
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Nath,

Take a look here: http://www.nutria.com/site.php
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Woodchucks, AKA Groundhogs
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

It probably varies from state to state. Here in Vermont, coyotes are open year round, as are nuisance birds like starlings, pigeons, and english sparrows.

Additionally, anything that is damaging crops or livestock can be shot on site.

The exception to this (and I agree with it) is black bears raiding bird feeders.
Mark Taylor
Levergunner

Anytime Game

Post by Mark Taylor »

Nath,
Groundhog (Marmot) as long as the sun's up.
Mark in WBGV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Nath, coyotes abound all over the US and their numbers are on the rise, despite our efforts to slow them down. I see at least one coyote on every trip around this area, but not always in an area where shooting is allowed.

So far, I haven't even shot at one in the new year. Medical issues have distracted me from doing my civic duty and ridding the ranches of those little buggers. Soon enough, I plan to be after them with a vengeance. My old .25-20s are waiting in anticipation of thumping a few. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hi Nath/Mark,

I think they are different correct? To me they look like big hairy rats. Here is a pic:

http://www.nutria.com/site.php

They make nice hats! :)
Last edited by C. Cash on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cheers guys. Them Racoons-is there plenty to go at? Can they out smart ya sometimes?
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hi MikeD are you mending? Them coyotes must be a fair match for them 25/20's!
Mr Cash, do you make hats of them? I could do with a good hat :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Mark Taylor
Levergunner

Anytime Game

Post by Mark Taylor »

C. Cash,
They are definitely different animals. The picture of the nutria looks
like it might be related to the muskrat. What we in the East call
groundhogs or woodchucks, seem to be called marmots out West.
Mark in WBGV
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

No I don't Nath, but I am on the endless search for the perfect hat, much the same way I'm still in search of the perfect load for my 356! :oops: :) I have a large, strange, gourd like head that is hard to fit!
My latest from Dirty Billy's Hats, one like it without the patch. Pretty sure this is Nutria/felt blend:

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very smart Mr cash. A good felt takes some beating and a brim is as important as the bit on top of your head too!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

WE CAN SHOOT PRAIRIE RATS, ROCKCHUCKS, COYOTES, AND ANY RIFF RAFF INTREPID ENOUGH TO KICK IN THE FRONT DOOR.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

Nath,
Sod poodles, jack rabbits, coyotes, coons, starlings, english sparrows, european doves
Hartman
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

New to Michigan are hogs....Russian and Russian/feral mix.

Coyotes

and around here a lot of bull gets shot in the gunshops

:wink:

Wm
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Paper Targets! On a serious note, here in the State of Wisconsin you can hunt Coyotes, and Snowshoe Hares year round. Coyotes cannot be hunted during the 9 day gun Deer season in the Northern part of the state to protect the up and coming Wolf population. In my belief it's coming up too fast too soon!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

in CA, also ground squirrels and unspecified rodents. Plus jackrabbits, but there is a season for cottontails.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
coachise
Levergunner

Post by coachise »

Ohio regulations state: Coyote -No closed season -No Limit
Wild boar -No closed season -No Limit
Groundhog -Closed during deer gun season -No Limit

I'm a teacher and coach, so other than groundhogs in the summer, I don't have time to hunt vermin.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

On the east side of the pond, nutria are called coypu.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

'yotes (they are here in Pa. but I have never seen 'em), sparrows, crows, red squirrels, starlings, coons, (four legged) and animals like groundhogs and foxes have long seasons.--------Sixgun
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Wild Hawgs. Darn things multiply like rabbits.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

in Texas, no limit on feral hogs, coyotes, skunks coons, squirrels, rabbits, crows, javalina, and mountain lions (supposedly, but its mainly the 3 s's with that one) if shooting. if trapping, need a separate license.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

In WV coyote, groundhog, pigeon, starling, english sparrows, and crows. Strange thing though, I've never heard a sparrow around here with an English accent.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Good looking hat. I am told that nutria are tasty. Never tried them myself but that is what I hear. 1886.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

There is actually a limit of two javalinas per year in Texas, but no closed season.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Rexster wrote:On the east side of the pond, nutria are called coypu.
I thought a coypu was a cross between a coyote and a poodle. :lol:
Here in the islands coypu or as we call it koi-poo is translated as carp-turd. We usually don't shoot carp-turds here but there have been more than a few bass-turds i'd really like to pop. :wink:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

On private lands everything is at the discretion of the landowner but on public lands most game mammals (pigs, goats) have no closed season but they do have daily bag limits of 1 or 2 per hunter with the exception of Axis Deer on Maui, and Sheep on Hawaii (Big Island) which have no restrictions on public lands.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Yotes
feral pigs
feral dogs
skunks
opossum
crows
ground hogs
snakes
mice
barn rats
empty beer cans
fence posts
and targets
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:No I don't Nath, but I am on the endless search for the perfect hat, much the same way I'm still in search of the perfect load for my 356! :oops: :) I have a large, strange, gourd like head that is hard to fit!
My latest from Dirty Billy's Hats, one like it without the patch. Pretty sure this is Nutria/felt blend:

Not to hijack Nath's thread, but I think that patch looks just about perfect on that hat! :wink:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I like it too Ysabel! I'm just not a patch person. I am told that this hat and patch is becoming the standard headgear for the Sons of Confederate Veterans. I was told that by the guy who makes them, so take it for what it's worth! :wink: He seems like good honest people(for being a Yank :wink: :) ) and the hat is great quality. His shop is right there in Gettysburg. This is the "Longstreet" hat patterned after the movie hat from "Gettysburg". He made Sam Elliots "Buford" hat as well and has pics of him in there. Also made Tom Berringer's Rough Rider hat and some for Tombstone.
http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/index.htm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For sport.... :twisted:

...don't forget mice, rats, and BUGS!

I used to blast rats at an open trash dump as a kid - LOVED it when they'd scurry behind an old ceramic toilet or sink. The 10/22 seemed like a Ma Deuce shattering an enemy bunker to me as a 12 year old kid.

No more dumps like that around (which is probably good, actually).

My son used to shoot the mice in the chicken coop every time he'd go out for the evening egg run - with a plastic-pellet-shooting toy pistol. The mice would actually die almost instantly. Probably was more "necessary" in terms of pest control than my rat shooting.

A couple times when sighting in off the bench and using a real accurate firearm, I've VAPORIZED horseflies I'd see land on the target. Fun to put a 88gr HPBT through a horsefly at 3400 fps! I'd just love to catch it on video, or at least come up with a good 'bait' with which to paint the target. I may try a really sweaty old T-shirt this summer, just draped over the target stand.

Of the three 'sport' shooting types above, I think the horsefly one is the one you just CAN'T call 'cruel' - How exactly could you 'wound' a horsefly with an 88 gr bullet? :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Rat's.

And snakes.

I walk the road with the trusty Daisey, listening for the 'rustle', then have at it.

My friends poke fun at me because I enjoy small game more so than large, but I bring it on to myself because I bragg about the " Pope and Young " squirrels I shoot!

Hey, everyone needs a laugh from time to time!
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Rebel1972 wrote:frogs.In Tennessee we can't shoot after dark unless your raccoon hunting with a .22lr.Can't shoot crows unless it's fri. sat. or sun.,then its no limit.can't have a loaded rifle in your truck(carry permit allows a loaded hangun,go figure) .Can't have a shotgun slug and shotshell in your possession at the same time while hunting.Cant shoot small game or turkeys with any centerfire (turkeys can only be killed with a shotgun or archery equipment)Oh yea ,you can't shine your truck headlights across a field or you are guilty of spotlighting.That means don't pull up and turn aroun at a gate where your lights might accidentally shine on a deer.Heaven forbid you have a rifle in your truck too. :?
PLUS: with legal license: coyote, starling, nutria(water mammal like muskrat, yes), wild hog, and woodchuck. Now to know the open seasons on some common animals...say bobcat...it opened this year, not with small game or muzzleloader, but with rifle deer season. Go figure...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Criminals

Illegal aliens

Liberals

Yankees (he says being a transplanted one himself - SO THAT IS JUST IN JEST!!!)

:wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yaz wrote: Criminals ... Illegal aliens ... Liberals
Now I was going to post an answer like that, but I didn't want you all to think I was that kind of feller...

I can see how the third one would be viewed as politically incorrect, even though it is in jest. (Liberals usually just need hugs and a blankie, not bullets.)

I can even see how the second one would be viewed as mean, since most people miss the adjective "illegal" and assume it means you're just racist, rather than wanting immigrants to our nation to become REAL citizens vs. mooches.

Sad to say, though, even the first one nowdays most would say is too mean-spirited. 'Criminals' of the violent type who murder, rape, and rob others, are just troubled souls who need tax-paid housing, tax-paid education, tax-paid gymnasiums, and tax-paid counselling, after their tax-paid trials get them off on technicalities.

Fortunately, we have a new class of 'criminal' - the person who builds a cabin in spotted owl habitat, the person who won't leave their home so a town can condemn it and put in a golf course for a tax base, the person who smokes pot on the weekend rather than drinking good whisky, AM talk-show hosts, and the Californian who owns a gun that isn't stamping the serial number on the cartridge cases (or is that 'bullets?'). THESE are evidently the people it is ok to hate.

Hopefully the Anointed who would otherwise dare to criticize poor Yaz (could have been me instead of him!) will realize he surely was referring to the latter group, so his 'right-wing-hatred' can be forgiven. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

GROUNDHOG, NUTRIA, COYOTE AND SKUNK (striped), BOBCAT RACCOON AND OPOSSUM. All of these are no bag limit and most you can hunt all year long here in North Carolina.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
Hopefully the Anointed who would otherwise dare to criticize poor Yaz (could have been me instead of him!) will realize he surely was referring to the latter group, so his 'right-wing-hatred' can be forgiven. :wink:
I'll admit it - I'm a mean-spirited, politically incorrect *** - and I like it that way! :wink:

Who is "Yaz"?