Marlin Guide Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin Guide Gun

Post by Bigahh »

Did one of my weekly Gun Shop Routes today, and I thought I found a Marlin 45/70 Treasure. It is a Short barreled Guide Gun that I have been wanting to add to my safe, perfect condition for 375.00 After a short inspection I was ready to bring it home, but then noticed the porting on the barrel :evil: That is the 4th one with porting I have come across lately, not a single one without holes in the barrel. I guess the ones without holes stay with the owners for good reason. Just do not want to take the chance that I will not like the ported rifle. Looks like a new one may be in order after all.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin Guide Gun

Post by Grizz »

ya but that's a great candidate for a trapper length gun, which is handier than the guide gun in some ways. a little work with saw and files gets you a great setup for a lot less than the new guide guns. just a thought.

Grizz
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Grizz wrote:ya but that's a great candidate for a trapper length gun, which is handier than the guide gun in some ways. a little work with saw and files gets you a great setup for a lot less than the new guide guns. just a thought.

Grizz
+1 At that price, you have all kinds of possibilities...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got mine for about that price, and was planning on tapping the holes for filler-screws, or shortening the barrel, until I SHOT the gun, and realized that since I ALWAYS use hearing protectors, it didn't matter one bit.

Even if you don't wear hearing protectors when you shoot, I don't think it would be hard to cut & crown or just drill & tap & fill those ports if they bother you that much.

For $375 I'd have taken it!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

AJMD429 wrote:I got mine for about that price, and was planning on tapping the holes for filler-screws, or shortening the barrel, until I SHOT the gun, and realized that since I ALWAYS use hearing protectors, it didn't matter one bit.

Even if you don't wear hearing protectors when you shoot, I don't think it would be hard to cut & crown or just drill & tap & fill those ports if they bother you that much.

+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I have been shooting a ported guide gun for years now. I used protection when playing but not when hunting. Seams like when I pull down on game with it I cant even hear it!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Hmmm,... never heard of one at that low price before.

Me thinks you will be unhappy at sometime in the future, if you really want one, and don't get it. As stated, cut it down if you don't like the porting.
Last edited by 76/444 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Now you guys got me thinking!!!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Go back and buy the darned thing!

Personally I'd have jumped on it in a red hot New York second!

personally I like those ports and if you shoot heavy loads you will like them as well. That little rifle weighs less than seven pounds. With really heavy loads, i.e. Junior .458 WinMag Loads, it will kill on one end and cripple on the other, even with the ports. You really don't want to use a rifle that lighr for heavy loads with out the recoil reduction.

You realy ought to be using hearing protction anywway so the noise is not that big a deal anyway. you don't plan to use it as a Home Defense Rifle do you? Go buy the darned thing!

If you don't like the ports you can always sell it for a profit, trade it, re-barrel it, plug the ports or cut the barrel. You won't find a better deal and you will kick yourself if you miss it.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The ports suck more for the people off to the side than they do for you....I have one.....Get it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doc Hudson wrote:You don't plan to use it as a Home Defense Rifle do you?
I thought for awhile about making it my HDR, and if I did, I'd just load it up with light 'cowboy' loads - I think a 405 grainer going about 800 fps just might barely be enough punch to annoy a bad guy. :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

You passed because of ports? At $375.00 in excellent condition? A Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun? :lol:

I know the echoing chorus railing against ports and safeties at times becomes deafening, making it hard to think, but buy it, try it, and find out if it's just an echo. I've got Marlins with and without ports, and guess what, they are both loud when shot without hearing protection. That is unless I'm shooting at game, and I'll be darned if I can hear it or feel the recoil then.

I'd shuffle back down to the shop and make a big fuss about those ports (there is a time and a place to make a fuss), getting them to knock off another 25 bones, and take the thing home.

Have fun.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My Wild West Co-Pilot in .457 mag is ported and I don't even notice it except in recoil reduction. As others have said, go get !!! If you don't like it, you can always sell it here
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Why not just get a replacement barrel??
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

I've owned both the ported and non-ported variety of Guide Guns. I was unable to tell the difference in report or recoil up to moderately heavy Levergun level loads. Even over the Chronograph the difference was undetectable.

They are excellent carbines, hunted a number of seasons with the GS, I'd still have one if I didn't have an 1895 LTD III (Guide Gun handy, Cowboy good looks).
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D :lol: GET IT NOW !!!!!!!!! LOL
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I don't own one currently the main reason is the price. BUT were I to come across that here local for $375, then I would quickly remedy that situation. I have shot plenty of ported rifles and shotguns over the years, and don't see a thing wrong with them. That sounds like a great deal, you better snag it quick!
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I have a Marlin Outfitter in 444 that is ported, it is a great gun. I like the ports
have not really noticed all the fuss about it being louder than any other gun.
For that price on a guide gun I would live with the ports. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Just want all you guys to know that I am telling my Wife it is all your fault! I just put some money down on it, and will pick it up next week. Always wanted a Big Bore, and I guess I got one! Thanks
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bigahh wrote:Just want all you guys to know that I am telling my Wife it is all your fault! I just put some money down on it, and will pick it up next week. Always wanted a Big Bore, and I guess I got one! Thanks
Ya did the right thing and your wife should be proud of ya for it!!

Grizz

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Definately a good price. I have never seen one for that low. Good for you. Kevin
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

I've had both versions. The porting on the Marlins doesn't seem to increase the muzzle blast for the shooter much. You won't be disapointed in getting it ,especially at that price.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

Great price! I bought my GG, in 2003 and paid $350 for it. It's a ported model. Its been to Idaho, Texas and Africa with me. It's also goin to TN. in 2 wks. I wear hearing protection, when bench shooting, but it's not bothered me on any of my hunting trips. Go get it. That's a helluva deal.

maddog
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

AJMD429 wrote:I got mine for about that price, and was planning on tapping the holes for filler-screws, or shortening the barrel, until I SHOT the gun, and realized that since I ALWAYS use hearing protectors, it didn't matter one bit.

+1, I like the one I have.
It is not the critic who counts
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats, you know the deal, when you get it home, we want pictures!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot