OT(ish): I got my C&R yesterday.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

OT(ish): I got my C&R yesterday.

Post by mklwhite »

I got it yesterday. Took about two months but it's here. Going to make up a dozen or so copies and see about building my collection a bit. Most likely some Russian stuff before it gets priced out of my range, but still I'm happy. :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT(ish): I got my C&R yesterday.

Post by awp101 »

Welcome to the Gun of the Month club... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

mklwhite wrote:I got it yesterday. Took about two months but it's here. Going to make up a dozen or so copies and see about building my collection a bit. Most likely some Russian stuff before it gets priced out of my range, but still I'm happy. :D
How do you get a C&R and what does it let you buy?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

If you are married, your wife is going to hate that permit! :lol:

To answer the other question, a C&R permit allows you to buy any gun 50 years or older and have it shipped to your door instead of going through a FFL. There are also a few newer guns on the list that you are allowed to buy, such as a CZ-82 pistol.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

RIHMFIRE wrote:
mklwhite wrote:I got it yesterday. Took about two months but it's here. Going to make up a dozen or so copies and see about building my collection a bit. Most likely some Russian stuff before it gets priced out of my range, but still I'm happy. :D
How do you get a C&R and what does it let you buy?

Yeah,

How?

Where does one go to apply?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Go here and select F 5310.16 (F7CR) from your choices on the bottom right (scroll down) fill out the info in the left and they send you the form you need in about two weeks.

...and Yep, I got a wife and she is for it. I've been showing her some of the guns I'd like to start getting my hands on and I told her how much transfers are going for around here ($20+ each) and I am saving money by my second purchase. Not to mention that Midway gives discounts to all FFL holders even C&R. They are on my list to get a copy of my license right away! :D
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I've seen the results of having a C&R at my father-in-law's house. :shock: Have fun with that! :wink: :lol: 8)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

mklwhite , Thanks for the info. I used to have an FFL before Clinton made it a pain for guys like me who only deal very small time.
I ordered the form for my C&R and will use it for sure. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulations! And thanks for the reminder - I need to send MidwayUSA a copy of my C&R too!!!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I'm interested in a C&R, have been for a few years. What do they cost, if you don't mind me asking? I went to the link, but couldn't find that info. Also, if I'm applying for a C&R, do I have to order "x" quantity, or do I just need one and I can make copies? Thanks.

I just looked at the list of c&r guns, and only some are listed that are 50 yrs. old. Are all guns 50 yrs. or older automatically eligible, or are there restrictions?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I had my C&R from 2002-2005 and unless the "rules of the road" have changed since '05 it went something like this:

The license is $30 for 3 years. Make a copy of the original, write "FILE COPY" in blue or black ink ON THE COPY! DO NOT WRITE ON THE ORIGINAL! Then make about 100,000 copies of the copy and send to any place you can think of. :lol: Places like Brownell's and Midway give a discount to FFL holders, including C&R's (which is technically an FFL).

You keep a bound book much like an 01 FFL, therefore you are required to log your C&R eligible acquisitions and dispositions just like an 01 FFL. The understanding back then was even if you acquired a C&R eligible item before you got your C&R or picked up a C&R eligible item without using your C&R it still had to be logged. I do not know if that has ever been clarified to everyone's satisfaction or not. There are no legal "paperless" transactions with a C&R, it has to be logged in and out just like an 01 FFL. One significant difference between 01 and 03 FFL record keeping is if you let your 03 expire, you do not have to keep the bound book or record future acquisitions and dispositions.

You are technically subject to an annual inspection. At the time you could specify that it take place at the nearest field office instead of your home. Even back then some agents would insist on coming out but the regs clearly stated you could do it at their place. This may or may not have changed and I am only aware of 2, maybe 3, holders that were audited during the 3 years mine was active and that was spread over 3 or 4 large, C&R related boards.

At the time, you had to submit a letter to your local CLEO or Chief of Police. They had absolutely ZERO say in the matter, it was just a courtesy notification. I sent mine and never heard word one about it, ever. Not even a "Thanks, we got your notification" which didn't hurt my feelings a bit.

C&R stands for Curio and Relic. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old (a relic) is eligible (including some Class III if your state allows mere mortals to have the weapons of Zeus) as well as certain firearms not 50 years old. The ones under 50 years include certain commemoratives and firearms in unusual calibers or configurations (curios). The BATFE puts out a list and I believe it's on their website as well. Of note to levergun fans, certain factory trapper models have been listed as C&R eligible and removed from the NFA list. I believe some states have additional restrictions on C&Rs (CA, NY and MA come to mind but I can't tell you for sure or what the additional restrictions are anymore).

I'm going off the top of my head (and a faulty memory :lol: ) but that's the nuts and bolts as well as I recall them. When I popped for mine I was heavy into milsurps. As often happens with me, my interests changed and I let it lapse for a number of reasons. I moved just before it expired and didn't feel like submitting the change of address and then renewing it. The "Golden Age of Milsurps" was coming to an end as the surplus ammo was just starting to dry up along with the caches of weapons many European and former Soviet Bloc countries had kept in reserve.

That little $30 piece of paper saved me quite a bit in transfer fees and the discounts from retailers helped but it still durn near put me in the poor house! :lol: It's one reason I'm still a recovering "Gun of the Month" clubber... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thanks for the info. I may wait till i can afford to start buying some guns before i get mine.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Be sure to send copies to Midway and Brownells.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I am on my second renewal.C&R is great.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion