Rifle hunting in shotgun-only southern Ohio

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Rifle hunting in shotgun-only southern Ohio

Post by t.r. »

Typically one thinks of Ohio as a shotgun only state for hunting big game. But Double D Ranch and others go through an extensive licensing process to offer hunts for non-native animals. The shotgun only restriction is not applicable to this hunting ranch. Nor is an Ohio hunting license req'd. Additionally, year round hunting is legal.

For those who object to these licensing statutes, I recommend complaining to Ohio gov't officials.

Exotic hunting ranches are not for every hunter. My suggestion is to research size of ranch. Very few hunters would enjoy a so-called hunt for a penned animal on small acreage.

Exotic hunting ranches have saved animals from extinction. Examples: Pere David deer, Eld's deer, addax, and symitar horned oryx. These animals are on critically endangered lists within thier original range but are thriving in USA and other locals as well. This is a fact which is often overlooked by the non-hunting public and certain gov't officials who are against hunting of any type.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Rifle hunting in shotgun-only southern Ohio

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Not my thing. As long as it's not illegal, each person has their own views on such manners. For that I say, "it's ok". Even better if it's a meat hunt...............

my .02¢...........thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Old school here. This isn't anything I am interested in. I am not interested in bashing anyone who is,... but, if I don't eat it, shoot it to keep it from eating or hurting the stock I work with, or my stock I eat,... I don't shoot it.

Just my opinion.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

ya, Don't see any problem with some place that owns large areas of land and they do the Exotic thing.

As long as they keep them contained within that specified area as such.
In Ohio I would just bypass the shotgun thing by using a 12ga. Savage 210 with the .50cal 385gr Partition Golds at 2000fps. (That to me is no shotgun) and that in itself would not be the reason for me to want to hunt the exotics anyway "because of the rifle thing". It would be more because of the challenge of a different species and it's cunning ability.

Honestly though, To me---nothing beats the good ole wild North American Whitetail on its own ground.(best of all my own ground :) )
But I would try the Exotics---------------yep==no doubt. Don't know till ya tried it!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have never exotic hunted, and I will admit that I know very little about it. My only comment is this: Exotic's have created a lot of problems in a lot of areas where they have taken over the envirinment that was never meant for that type of exotic creature to be injected into the environment. Just look at what our Great Lakes brothers are going through right now with exotic fish. Or Python's in the Everglades.................. I belive you should let Mother Nature take care of hersef. I am pretty sure she knows best. And I truly believe that placing a species where she did not intend for that species to be is a mistake. Just an opinion. Tom.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I have no problem if they are controlled.I believe at one time there were no cattle all over
the plains.Some places dont support much for natural game so placing exotics there can
be a plus in my view.Look at what New Zealand has done with exotics,also Argentina.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here