finaly made it home.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

finaly made it home.

Post by n2t »

Got back to montana safe and sound, was not a bad trip at all, hit all the weather just right so no complaints. All the snakes at home made it safe and sound for two weeks with no care, no surprises there. And we found Amanda/twistedserpent a 7-30 waters in a TC contender as her first rifle. Just got to get her residence switched over to montana and we're off to the races, some reloading components and range time and she'll be dropping some meat in the freezer in no time. I think the 7-30 will be a perfect starter round for deer/hog/and maybe even up to elk sized game/smaller plains game. If not, there are tons of options on the TC platform, so I suspect it's a great start. 349 dollars and fits her like a glove.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: finaly made it home.

Post by JReed »

Cool sounds like you had a good trip. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Sounds like you and Amanda have a lot of outdoor fun to in your future.
Enjoy!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That gun sounds like a good one
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

That rifle sounds like a keeper! I hope she has a lot of adventures with it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is good news. Keep us posted on how well the rifle shoots, and her adventures with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Congrats, but a 7-30 Waters ain't no starter cal, it is a very caperble round in it's own right.

Why the hoola it was not used more by Winchester I just don't know!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Starter meaning first one, not any reputation on the round itself. I would call a starter gun one which the person starts huting with. I got it because I think it will do 90% of what we need for as long as we need, and she can be a bit less choosy about shot placement than me with my .243 win.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

n2t wrote:. And we found Amanda/twistedserpent a 7-30 waters in a TC contender as her first rifle. 349 dollars and fits her like a glove.
If that was for the whole carbine you got a steal!! The only 7-30 i saw went for 599 at GM with synthetic stocks. What sorta snakes ya got?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Whole carbine, old frame but I'm ok with that. Too many to mention, tons of corn morphs, some miami corn locales, diadems, blood python, IJ carpet python, colombian rainbow boa, mexican pine, cali king, a couple cave dwellers it's another hobby.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Glad to hear you got back safe and sound. And the 7-30 Waters is an outstanding choice - congrats!!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yep, glad you were able to sail smooth waters across the barren wasteland they call the Dakotas (I'm dissing your homeland, Terry M. :D )

Old frame contenders have gotten to be very reasonable in price. If Amanda wants to try a different caliber, you should be able to hit the guns shows or watch gunbroker to pick up a new barrel cheap. The only drawback to them is that you have to break them open to be able to cock it, once you've let the hammer down.Like you said, not a big deal.

Since you reload, I bet the 7-30 will do anything you need it to do. She will be needing a .223 (or similar) barrel so you can go shoot p-dawgs.

It was nice to have met you both.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That 7-30 Waters Contender carbine will be a great gun for you both. I love mine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

I love my .243 win, but I think she's going to have a blast with the 7-30. We may pick up a less expensive scope to start with, there's a little 3-9x32 that is trim and will fit the little carbine well, we may look there first.