texas hog hunt(graphic)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

texas hog hunt(graphic)

Post by n2t »

Leaving from the Inn in the morning, had a wonderfull time with the folks from the winter texas hog hunt. So much so that Amanda will be getting her hunting permit and rifle and participating in the next event. The savage 11 .243 accounted for 2 hogs in two shots and performed quite well I thought, the effectivness of this round is always impressive to me.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... ep/032.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... p/0272.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... ep/023.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... ep/015.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... ep/014.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... ep/006.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... ep/001.jpg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: texas hog hunt(graphic)

Post by 86er »

Will and Amanda - it was great to have you join us! I'm looking forward to the next hunt with you both. Where's the video?

Joe
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Great hunt, congrats. This confirms where the old saying "bleedin like a stuck pig" comes from.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

The video will be up shortly, the first one came out ok, if you don't mind that I said "that pig isn't going anywhere" like three times. I get a bit fixated on if the thing I hit plans to move again or not. The second one did not come out as planned. I had told amanda to focus on a red pig, as that one was about the size I had thought to take, but when I saw the limping one, I switched which one I wanted and never told her. So she's all focused on the little red fella and I'm waiting for this other one to get to the edge of the group so I don't hit anyone behind him. In the end I made a good head shot on the wounded guy, but he was out of view of the camera. On the first video you get a nice impact shot at about 1:04 of the video and it came out fairly well. I'll upload it when out internet is more stable but here's a quick screen capture.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... pighit.jpg
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Will is a hog assassin, he likes shooting them between the eyes. Will maybe you should leave the Air Force and do some sniping for the Marines. :D Glad that both of you were able to make the trip and I look forward to getting to hunt with both of you again sometime. Be careful heading back North. Let Amanda drive Will, she does better in her car in the mud then some guys do in the their pickups. :)
Ricky

DWWC
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

"Let Amanda drive Will, she does better in her car in the mud then some guys do in the their pickups."

:?: :?: :?: :wink:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Yeah she can, lol she's made it this far, I just close my eyes and hope. As for the hogs in the head, you know I wanted a heart lung shot on that limping guy but I had already spent five mins waiting for him to clear the rest of the group, when he did, he was head on so my options were limited. Take the shot, or let him wander around and hope noone else shot before he gave me a broadside. I figured I would just take him, right weight, and a shot I knew I could make.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Someone was being nice - Amanda is a better driver with more sense than the other Moron that was stuck with a truck.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you size the pics down under 1000 pixels I think they'll post directly with the "Img" command above.

Cool pics though, and even though those Savages have the lever on the side, they shoot good, especially in a round like .243.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Can't say enough about what nice kids Wil and Amanda are!!

Nice Shooting and I hope we meet up again some day!
If you ever make it to OH give me a yell!

jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TwistedSerpent
Levergunner

Post by TwistedSerpent »

Hey guys, its Amanda (Will's gf). Had a great time and great first hunting experiance! Cant wait to do it again. Growing up and having to drive in MN teaches you a lot, sounds like we got another 24 inches up there again too. Mud isnt much different, so it wasnt much of an issue, no help from Will telling me "I'm going to die" every few minutes. Haha just kidding he's sweet I wouldnt of gotten to go without him.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You are welcome any time girl!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice shooting. The 243 is a killer.
Big Mike
Levergunner

Post by Big Mike »

Hey Will and Amanda - sorry I didn't really know your names there but you guys were fun. Sorry if you heard me call you "the little guy", but hey, you are compared to me! Nice shooting with that pop gun, I'll hunt with you any day. Amanda can drive for us anytime even with a car. She is much better at that than at least one wanna be stuffy truck owner I can think of. Sandy must have just used him for the ride. Good plan, let someone else pay for gas and drive.
New Texan
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Big Mike wrote:Hey Will and Amanda - sorry I didn't really know your names there but you guys were fun. Sorry if you heard me call you "the little guy", but hey, you are compared to me! Nice shooting with that pop gun, I'll hunt with you any day. Amanda can drive for us anytime even with a car. She is much better at that than at least one wanna be stuffy truck owner I can think of. Sandy must have just used him for the ride. Good plan, let someone else pay for gas and drive.

Yeh, being stuck in the truck for 5 hours (each way) with him... not really worth using him for a ride or gas! Would rather have done it myself!! It was nice to meet you. I wish you and your family lots of luck moving down here. Sure we will cross paths again on another hunt!

Sandy
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Hey Huntress, in spite of the grief you are getting about your other half, how did the custom load work for your Young 'Un? Looks like she made a good shot and got a nice ram! Reports man, (and women) I need reports! If it wasn't for the big gun show here this weekend I was planning to be there. On the good side, we sold a truckload of ammo, mostly Extreme. Sorely, I missed this hunt. I'll be at the next one.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Hey Mike. Remember I am ignorant about these things. Haven't been taught about it all yet, so not sure how my opinion will help, but it seemed to work real well for her. She did not complain at all about bad recoil, which if I undertand correctly she should not have had with those bullets, right? The sighting on her rifle was not that good, but between the ammo and the good shooting, she got the job done! She seemed very happy with everything so I am going to say the ammo worked out real well for her. Thanks! When we need more I will defiantely be in touch!

Sandy
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Rintoul - Piller used your WFNGC heavy cast performance in his 480 Ruger and he got a bang-flop and was bragging about it. There- field report on your stuff. See you next trip!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Hey Will, good pics! I can't wait till next time when you can take the picture and Amanda can pose...bound to be an improvement :D

Thanks for the goodies you brought, too. Let me know what calibers you currently have or plan to have soon, and I'll keep a lookout on things I have that you might need.

If I get to your neck of the woods, I'll holler at you. I will definitely be up for muley and prairie goat season in Oct and maybe for the Quigley in June. I'll let you borrow a rifle and see if you can hit that steel buffalo between the eyes at 785 yards! I have faith in you.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TwistedSerpent
Levergunner

Post by TwistedSerpent »

I have a feeling next time there will be a lot more pictures of me!
TwistedSerpent
Levergunner

Post by TwistedSerpent »

from Will. Bullet performance. Load used for the .243 win was 100grn hornady flat base interloc, 42grns of H4831SC for 2900 fps, bullets came apart after striking the hardest part of the hogs skull at 50 yards and destroyed everything for about 6" behind. I think next time I'll use tougher bullets I would love to have the processing guys dig my bullets out of the innards after such a hit. I look forward to switching to a barns x or hornady gmx and upping my load to around 45.5grns for 3100fps so I can paunch the pig from any direction, see you next year!!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Sounds like a great time was had by all. I really wanted to join in this time, but just didn't have the funds. I'll have to save up my allowance and make the next Texas hunt. Great pictures.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wil and Amanda, it was great to be there with you both. Hope to see you both again soon. Will, you got yourself a keeper.
Sandy, once again I am reminded why we called the UH-60 the "CRASH HAWK". We used to be extremely happy to UnA__ those choppers.
Mike R., the 425 grain WFN out of that .480 Ruger pushed by IMR4227 made that hog almost do a complete flip.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

How'd I miss this? Can't wait to see the vid Will. Thanks for posting these.

And if you have any pics of the silver hog's leg wound.... I'd appreciate it. I'm still smarting from that - can't believe the bullet didn't go through!

And Will, it was great meeting you and Amanda!

I've said it before but the levergunners are a great bunch of folks.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

It was a perfectly round hole right at the knee/ankle joint on the inside of the leg. My guess if I had to make one would be that you shot a bit low and his leg was up not providing enough resistance to actualy penetrate that much bone. Bullet hit hard bone, leg swung, pig RUNNOFT. Happens to the best of us some days, 3" higher..dead pig.