Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
swelfelo
Levergunner

Post by swelfelo »

Hobie and mod71alaska,

Thanks for the welcome. I found you guys because I am looking to find a suitable home for a Winchester 94 I acquired as part of a package of firearms I purchased from an estate. Although this gun is over fifty years old, she is in excellent condition and belongs in the hands of someone who will hunt with her or take her out to cowboy shoots.

My interests run more to bullseye competition, benchrest shooting, and air rifle. I think that my Winchester deserves to be more than a safe queen.

I am a NRA endowment member and also participate in our local youth league.

Regards,

Swelfelo
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New member

Post by Gun Smith »

Did they tell you to put in the classified section, with pictures, if you want to sell it?
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Swelfelo, welcome again to our camp fire!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You just may want to keep that gun, or if you sell it, use the money to get a carbine-size levergun in whatever revolver caliber you have.

Reasons:

1. Leverguns are handy, non-politically-incorrect, home-defense guns.

2. Leverguns are actually capable of better accuracy than you may think (not 'benchrest' but definitely sub-MOA). (Wait long enough and someone will post some 'bragging' quality .30-30 levergun groups. 8) )

3. Leverguns are just plain FUN to shoot, especially when time or weather don't permit a formal target setup. I was a 'benchrest' kind of shooter until I lost convenient access to a range past 50 yards, and often only had a half hour or so to get my month's-worth of shooting in, rain or shine. I dug out the old .44 Mag levergun, and used that time for more fun than I could have had in that time & place with my 6mm varmint rifle.

4. Although an air-rifle (in addition to being a super-precision competition gun) of the right type can be a cool way to start a kid out with low-noise, low-recoil, accurate (confidence building) shooting, when it comes to the .22 LR level of shooting, leverguns offer the speed and 'action' of a semiauto with the safety of a bolt-action, and yet can still encourage disciplined shooting. If you encounter someone you're trying to get interested in shooting who just lacks the patience for benchrest, they might even be a candidate to go right to the .30-30 levergun, as well.

Keep in touch, either way - we don't hang too many bolt-gunners these days, even in these parts; don't want to thin the ranks of gun owners too much, even the ones with funny-looking side-lever guns like yours, or those clickety-clack semiauto ones with all the scary sticky-outy things on them. :wink: We gotta stick together so's we can fight off all the stupid gun laws they keep proposing to 'divide and conquer' us... :evil:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

AJMD429 wrote:You just may want to keep that gun, or if you sell it, use the money to get a carbine-size levergun in whatever revolver caliber you have.

Reasons:

2. Leverguns are actually capable of better accuracy than you may think (not 'benchrest' but definitely sub-MOA).

3. Leverguns are just plain FUN to shoot, especially when time or weather don't permit a formal target setup.

Keep in touch, either way - we don't hang too many bolt-gunners these days, even in these parts; don't want to thin the ranks of gun owners too much, even the ones with funny-looking side-lever guns like yours, or those clickety-clack semiauto ones with all the scary sticky-outy things on them. :wink: We gotta stick together so's we can fight off all the stupid gun laws they keep proposing to 'divide and conquer' us... :evil:
+1
Welcome :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

swelfelo,

Post again on this thread when/if you place it on our "classifieds" sub-forum - most of us are too lazy to look there every day, unless we're actively shopping...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Welcome to the fire and yes he did post it over in the classifieds.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Borregos wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:You just may want to keep that gun, or if you sell it, use the money to get a carbine-size levergun in whatever revolver caliber you have.

Reasons:

2. Leverguns are actually capable of better accuracy than you may think (not 'benchrest' but definitely sub-MOA).

3. Leverguns are just plain FUN to shoot, especially when time or weather don't permit a formal target setup.

+1
Welcome :D
+2

all of that.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

What AJMD429 and others said!

I'm a dedicated AR shooter with both a 14.7" light bbl middy and a 20" HBAR for long range. I also shoot a custom 6" longslide Glock 20/21L I developed some 4-5 yrs ago. I like to shoot in CMP and Practical Pistol type shoots and have done so for many years.

That said, I caught the bug shooting a little Henry 22lr carbine last year and now have two Win '92 clones; a 24" rifle and 20" carbine. They are a ton of fun to shoot and a nice change from my other firearms. I don't compete with them and I'm not into dressing up to look the part. Its just that they are a lot of fun to shoot and reload for.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard! :D
swelfelo
Levergunner

Post by swelfelo »

Thanks for all of the welcomes. It means a lot.

The truth of the matter is that I don't have any more room in my gunsafe for another long rifle -- no, I don't want another gunsafe thank you very much -- and really wanted to turn this asset into something I would be more likely to use on a regular basis. I am at that point in life when there is only so much free time, and I have to judiciously choose how I am going to spend it.

That being said, I believe that any day spent shooting any gun is pretty much better than anything else I could be doing. I know that I enjoy shooting and a classic lever action is way cool. It's just that I really prefer to hone the edges I already have sharpened.

I probably wouldn't use the Winchester 94 for home defense, because I don't know anything about where a 30-30 would go , i.e., through the mope, my house and into my neighbor's dwelling. I tend to pick up a .45 when things occasionally go bump in the night. I bet I can shoot the .45 a lot faster than I can manipulate the lever. Of course, I have tactically trained with former and its ilk and have absolutely zero experience with the latter. It is just a matter of what is close at hand and what I know how to use with a very strong confidence level. It's also easier to clear a house with a pistol than a rifle. I also think that a flashlight/laser on a lever action would be an abomination, but that's my opinion for what little it is worth.

My air rifle is not for kids and is a very powerful pneumatic .22 caliber that is used for trespassing varmints up to 120 feet or so. This is a topic for another forum though.

Regards,

Swelfelo