OT- 300 Sav Range Report and Bullet Performance

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT- 300 Sav Range Report and Bullet Performance

Post by 86er »

This is off topic because the rifle is my Remington 81. The load is a 300 Savage with Remington case, CCI 200 Primer, 170 grain Sierra Flat Point (for 30-30) and 38.5 grains of H4895. COAL is 2.62". I have not chronographed these yet but they should be 2350 fps - 2450 fps. The sight-in went great. I've never sighted in this rifle. I used it once by firing at a fence post, hit and and proceeded to shoot a pig at 40 yds. This time, we put the target at 75 yards and aimed in the center of the diamond throught the rear peep sight with the top of the front bead touching the center of the diamond. 5 shots strung horizontally within 2" but were right on with the elevation. I never moved the sights from the way I got it. I then sent the rifle with my friend who was deer hunting in the late MLD doe season in TX. He shot two does over a feeder at 100 yds this morning. He just returned my rifle, remaining ammo and the two bullets that struck the deer. One mushroomed over itself and formed sort of a ball with the copper jacket on the inside. It now weighs 141 grains. It hit the deer in the shoulder and broke a piece of scapular and proceeded to lodge under the hide on the opposite side. He says the deer actually ran nearly 100 yds and then fell over. That doe is about 125 pounds. The second deer was slightly quartering to. He hit it just in front of the left shoulder and the bullet hit the bottom of the pelvis on the opposite side. The bullet broke about in half. The piece of jacket and core that remained weighed 92.7 grains. This deer was around 95 pounds and it bucked up and fell over backwards. He says it kicked for a few seconds but that's all. I have enough cartridges and enough confidence in the rifle that I will take it out to the Leverguns Hog Hunt this afternoon and try it there.
TOP VIEW OF BULLETS

BOTTOM VIEW OF BULLETS
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- 300 Sav Range Report and Bullet Performance

Post by crs »

Look forward to seing you and the rifle this weekend at the hog hunt.

BTW, the rear sight for my 9422Mag has arrived. Maybe I should just use it with solids on a little porker rather than the .405?
Colin will use his tricked out DPMS Panther .223 with the green laser - should be interesting, but he has only packed two banana clips of ammo. :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That rifle is a peach Joe, have you any pictures of it?

Good luck on the hog hunt fellers :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Rifle-

Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks Joe, they gotta be rare. It seems to to work though!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jtaylor1960
Levergunner

Post by jtaylor1960 »

Your accuracy is good but if you find the bullets don't work well on hogs I would go to the good old Remington Corelokt or even the Nosler round nose Partition.The Nosler is also designed for the 30/30.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Nice rifle. I just bought one myself but unfortunately, mine has been drilled for a scope. Have you tried 150grn bullets in yours? I have a decent amount of remington 150grn FN bullets that I thought about trying.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My rifle likes 165-180 grain bullets. It doesnt group as well with the 150's
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member