Winter plinking with a Marlin .22 - PHOTOS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Winter plinking with a Marlin .22 - PHOTOS

Post by mod71alaska »

This has been quite the winter here in mid coast Maine. In November and December, even before the calendar said the season was officially winter, we had 4+ feet of snow and record setting cold. By early January another 15 inches of snow had fallen! But a January thaw almost always is predictable for New England, and for the last week the temperatures have been in the 40s with fog, wind and rain. Boy, does that eat up the snow fast! Today was the day I've been waiting for because last night it froze hard, and today I could walk in the woods on top of the snow! Time to take my Marlin 2nd Amendment 39A into the woods for the first time and plink. I had a great afternoon shooting at pop cans wedged in the hollows of huge old maple trees! Now, here's the range report: My Marlin 2nd Amendment 39A with octagon barrel must have radar because my 61 year old eyes and I haven't shot so well in a long, long time! I love the rifle, and love even more being out in the woods on days like today. Here are some photos:

My Marlin 39A 2nd Amendment with octagon barrel:

I don't own commemorative rifles, but I am proud to own this one:

This is my neighbor's place whose woods I shoot in, and what it looked like outside a week ago!

Another 10-15 inches of snow is forecast for tomorrow again. Wintery winters are a blast!
Last edited by mod71alaska on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin huntin'...

Post by Old No7 »

Nice pix! Never saw that variation of the Marlin 39, looks sharp! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

You're right on about the wild conditions we've had here... Where're you at on the coast? I'm in Damariscotta. *

Maybe we need a Maine/Northeast Levergunners Match this spring!?!?!?

( * For those not from Maine, that's an Indian word meaning "River of many fishes." Then again, I also heard it was named after an old guy who was chasing the love of his life, but slipped on the ice, hit his head and died. His famous last words were... "Darn, al'mos got her!" :lol: )

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I had never seen that emblem on the 39. That is a real nice one! I hope you keep the snow there until I head south.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Where is that picture in Maine, have only been there in the fall - beautiful.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Boy........sometimes i miss the snow
but not shovelling it!
nice plinker
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Victor -

That sounds great - and the pictures are wonderful. The kids will be jealous - I doubt they will see snow this year, and they have been looking at the sled longingly!!! :D
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I went bear hunting in Dover Foxcroft several years ago. That's some awesome country. I love my 39A.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

More %&#$ SNOW ! ! !

Post by Old No7 »

For Ysabel Kid...

White-out/blizzard conditions outside as I type -- can barely see more than 75' -- 6" on the ground and more coming...

Gotta take my l'il pup for a walk soon too -- I'll bet she p's on the outside deck and doesn't want to go any further. ( Works for me! :D )

We'll gladly send you some SNOW if'in you want it!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Re: More %&#$ SNOW ! ! !

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote:
We'll gladly send you some SNOW if'in you want it!

Old No7
Nope - I said the kids would enjoy it. I grew up in IN, and spent the first 8 years of my career in MI. I have shoveled enough snow to last a life time.

Like little kids everywhere, snow to mine is just a day off school and a ton of fun to play in! :D

Still, given the drought down here, I'd gladly take a few storms since it would eventually melt and raise the lakes. We need it bad! :(
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Big bore stuff is alot of fun, and I will always have some, but how about a brick of 22's and an afternoon with your son. It just don't get better than that !