OT Woodcock.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT Woodcock.

Post by Nath »

I treated my self to some woodcock hunting this afternoon, it was not easy!

Three hours for these two!

I was in an area that holds them well, the last time I was there some weeks ago I was tripping over them but not shooting them. Today however they were scarce and I walked and walked trying to get them to rise by me, the ones that did didn't offer a good shot.

About to give up I deployed the dog! I set about sending her in thick cover doing her spaniel thing and that soon had birds over me. Missed one then got two and that was me done :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Woodcock.

Post by crs »

Nice!
We flushed a couple recently sneaking through the woods while deer hunting. Hope to go back soon with dogs and try bag one or two.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Good deal; two are way better than nothing. :D Doesn't look like there is a lot to eat on one though.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My dad used to hunt woodcock in West Virginia... You NEED a dog!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Andrew wrote:Good deal; two are way better than nothing. :D Doesn't look like there is a lot to eat on one though.

Hi Andrew, hunting these little fellows more than makes up for their size. Their sitting tight and making you jump out ya skin and their chinking flight. They ain't easy to take and thus satisfying when you do connect. They deserve to be ate no matter how small. These could of come from Russia even! (Should fit right in here then :lol: )

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hobie wrote:My dad used to hunt woodcock in West Virginia... You NEED a dog!

That is true Hobie, funny though is some dogs won't retrieve them! Some will even try to bury them there and then!
They must give of a wierd smell but I can't detect it!

Tia has no such worries but she is very cautious with crows.

Today Tia was marking stuff for me , pheasants and rabbits. She steps forward and stares up wind looking at me to get my attention. It is fun.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Woodcock, and Ruffed Grouse are the big 2 for me up here in Wisconsin. I have never seen any Timber Doodles with snow on the ground though. Sounds like a fun day, wish I were there.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bigahh wrote:Woodcock, and Ruffed Grouse are the big 2 for me up here in Wisconsin. I have never seen any Timber Doodles with snow on the ground though. Sounds like a fun day, wish I were there.
Bigahh, there is something in what you say, since we have snow I have been seeing these birds near any soft ground or running waters and maybe thats why they are not so thick in this wood anymore.

It must be tough on them in this weather!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

How do the woodcock taste? I have tried pheasant and duck. I really like pheasant.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The woodcock I remember from my youth had a strong taste. I might not think so now, my tastes have changed as I've aged.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

La Becasse' - my favorite bird!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nath, My favorite Bird too. Then Quail, then grouse, then dove. They taste great with bacon :wink: otherwise they resemble what they eat in the taste department - worms. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

The best way I can describe their taste is cross between Duck, and liver. I never freeze them, but we usually eat all the birds we harvest at the end of the weekend.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bigahh wrote:The best way I can describe their taste is cross between Duck, and liver. I never freeze them, but we usually eat all the birds we harvest at the end of the weekend.
Thats it, but I have noticed and it comes as no surprise really that if you get a bird that has bleed out alot it does tast better!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good shootin' Nath. Do you keep the pin feathers?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Wow does that bring back memories!! Had a lot of Alder patches around my place when i lived in Maine. I was into black powder at the time, but, heard of a old gunsmith who was turning out smooth bores down in New Hampshire, for my 50 Hawkens that I was hunting with at the time. TheyN.H. had a smooth bore/shotgun hunting restriction back then, I assume it is still the same. So the BP boys were buying up these aftermarket barrels to hunt with. So, I drove down and picked one up. Shot well,... grouse, pheasant, and woodcocks soon filled my need for fresh bird.

Woodcock for me was great at breakfast with eggs,... yup, the breast (only part you could eat) was very similar to a liver like taste, almost dark purple colored meat. GOOD STUFF!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:Good shootin' Nath. Do you keep the pin feathers?
No as a general rule but these two were hard work and yep I think I will get them and stick them in my hat :D
76/444 wrote:Wow does that bring back memories!! Had a lot of Alder patches around my place when i lived in Maine. I was into black powder at the time, but, heard of a old gunsmith who was turning out smooth bores down in New Hampshire, for my 50 Hawkens that I was hunting with at the time. TheyN.H. had a smooth bore/shotgun hunting restriction back then, I assume it is still the same. So the BP boys were buying up these aftermarket barrels to hunt with. So, I drove down and picked one up. Shot well,... grouse, pheasant, and woodcocks soon filled my need for fresh bird.

Woodcock for me was great at breakfast with eggs,... yup, the breast (only part you could eat) was very similar to a liver like taste, almost dark purple colored meat. GOOD STUFF!!
I have had a few with a ML shotgun myself, now they do taste good :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!