#6 shot or slugs for home defense?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

#6 shot or slugs for home defense?

Post by Hobie »

Nixterdemus wrote:When this thread dies out can we kick start it by discussing the best HD scattergun loads which would be the 00 camp vs anything and everything else?
The title is calculated to wind folks up... :wink:

I use 00 buck in 12 ga. #3 buck in 20 ga. My house is brick and my pre-planned defensive positions preclude windows as backstops...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
76/444

Re: #6 shot or slugs for home defense?

Post by 76/444 »

I have a coach double leaning against the wall by the front door that I load up with OObuck, OOObuck, #4's and slugs,... according to my mood. 8)

But I prefer my 444 for 24/7 go to,... especially at night. 8)

But, then again,.... my closest neighbor is a half mile away! 8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, IMHO it's not HD, unless the home is trying to be entered.

In my experience, shooting a someone who's not actively firing on you/your home, will usually result in a prosecution and/or jail time for aggrivated assault (at the least).

For all I care, idiots can prance around outside all they want, but when they come very close/so as to enter, one can presume their intent and fire in SD - and #4 or #6 shot is every bit as devastating @ 15'-20' as it is across a room (as I have found out), or as 000/RS.

(flame ON ! :mrgreen: )

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Having seen the results of human body coming into contact with birdshot at "home defense" close range, it's fugly effective, and less likely to traverse walls and into noncombatants than a slug.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I lean towards #4 as I have seen studies where 00 penetrates too much. But, I really don't have a full understanding of the options and pros and cons (for example, I have not seen any data on slug penetration vs. 00).
Last edited by alnitak on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Although I have two shotguns that fall into this catagory,
I prefer to employ the .45 Marlin camp carbine to this duty.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

#4 lead shot but I do have some 00 Buck handy should I think I might need it.
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bird shot in the face beats pepper spray any day, far easier to smooth the plastering after too!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm thinking it depends on how aggressive you want to be in ridding your house of the intruder. Say someone is at the bottom of my the steps and I'm in the hallway upstairs. If he is coming up the steps, Im thinking birdshot or bushy tail shot is good, except in heavy winter weather when everyone is all bundled up against the cold. In that case, some of the heavier deer loads and some sort of buckshot is called for. Now if your intruder is taking pot shots up the steps while staying hidden behind the wall, then I'm thinking slugs through the wall are called for. With my Paradox, I have both options! If I used a slide acting repeater, or even better a lever repeater, than perhaps you cold alternate. I have read over the years that the shotgun is the best home defense weapon but I really don't think I want to get in a shooting match with the shotgun in the house. I've gone to the Sig 226 with 30 round mags at home, 20 round mags out of the house or with my .357 '92 as the go to guns for home. the lever is on the floor just under the bed and the Sig is on the night table when I go to bed. The shotguns are not used for home defense.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Nath wrote:Bird shot in the face beats pepper spray any day, far easier to smooth the plastering after too!

Nath.

True, but you can't pay a plasterer after you've spent everything on barristers in an attempt to keep from spendin 10 years in prison for attempted murder and paying off the intruder who sues you for blinding him.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have a sawed off double barrel shotgun in 10ga. Its loaded with federal #4 Buck (54 pellets) in 1 barrel and federal 00 Buck (19 pellets) in the other.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The biggest shot I can find for my 16GA are BBs, I know I could reload shells with something a bit heavier but I think BBs inside a house are big enough. Plus it's what I would use in my scattergun for Foxes. Well that's what I'd tell the Judge anyway. :wink:
Home defence? :? never heard of it!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Doc Hudson wrote:
Nath wrote:Bird shot in the face beats pepper spray any day, far easier to smooth the plastering after too!

Nath.

True, but you can't pay a plasterer after you've spent everything on barristers in an attempt to keep from spendin 10 years in prison for attempted murder and paying off the intruder who sues you for blinding him.

Who said any thing about using a single barrel!
Pay a plasterer, do that bit myself!
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

based on my expereince waterfowling and turkey hunting I feel more comfortable with #4 buck shot.
Last edited by wm on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

OO buck for me.
Know your target and beyond.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My choice is #4 Buck or BB's. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

i never expected to encounter the "Use Birdshot for Defense" crowd here. I intended to link to a Box o'Truth article on defensive use of birdshot but it is no longer posted on the site.

Basically the Box o'Truth experiment re-enforced my opinion that birdshot lacks enough penetration to make a good defensive load. One poster there commented on a couple of EMT runs he had made to attend folks who'd caught a load of birdshot at close range. Neither victim died, and when he arrived on one scene, the gunshot victim was running around having a tantrum, threatening dire revenge and had to be forcefully subdued before he could be treated and transported to a hospital.

Small shot at home defense ranges of under 10 yards will definitely make a big nasty wound, but it will be a very shallow wound due to lack of mass and penetration.

Think about it gentlemen, Mass + Velocity + Penetration = Bad Guy Out for the Count.

Let us consider the various birdshot sizes that are frequently mentioned for defensive use. #4 shot is 0.13" diameter and weights 3.2 grains. #6 shot is 0.11" in diameter weighing 1.96 grains. #8 shot is 0.09" in diameter and weighs a whopping 1.07 grains. That takes care of the mass side of the equation.

There ain't no such thing as a high velocity shot load, and we all know it. Other than a few saboted slug loads and some heavy steel shot loads all shotgun shells produce somewhere between 1150 and 1275 fps of velocity, from a 26-28" barrel. I will freely admit I've never chronographed any shotgun load, I'm working from published data from ammo makers here. So since most of us use an 18.5" or 20" barrel for our Home Defense Shotguns, we are probably getting around 1000 fps of velocity at best, probably much less. If anyone cares to risk their sky screens testing shotshell velocities I'd greatly appreciate a chance to see their results.

Thankfully I don't have to waste time explaining to this group that the shot spread at inside the house ranges is not very impressive.

With a weight of 1 to 3 grains and a velocity less than 1275 fps, you just won't get much penetration. The result, a large but very shallow surface wound and a bad guy who is capable of continuing his attack.

Some have commented of fears of over-penetration. IMO under-penetration is a greater problem. If shot won't penetrate a wall, it also wont penetrate a body enough to be instantly incapacitating.

It is my opinion that relying upon birdshot for defensive use is even less wise than relying on a .22 LR.

So what do I recommend?

Buckshot is the answer.

Let's take a quick look at the various buckshot loads. I will leave out the #2 and #3 buckshot because i can't find load data on them at the moment. The smallest buckshot is #4 at .24" diameter and weighing 20 grains, it is loaded with 34 in 2 3/4" shells and 41 in 3" magnum shells. #1 Buckshot is .27" in diameter, weighs 40 grains and is loaded with 20 and 24 pellet loads. #0 Buckshot is .32" in diameter, weighs 50 grains and is loaded with 12 pellets in a 2 3/4" shell. The ever popular 00 Buckshot is .33" in diameter and weighs 63 grains with 9 to 15 pellets per load. 000 Buckshot is .36" diameter and weights 71 grains with 8 to 10 pellets per shell. Velocities for all pellet sizes are still in the 1150 - 1275 fps range from an hunting barrel.

if you are greatly worried about over-penetration use #4 Buckshot, unless you live in a trailer wall penetration should be pretty minimal but shooting a bad guy would be like hitting him with a fusillade of .22 LR bullets all at once. If you are less worried about over-penetration #1 Buckshot might be the answer for you. Again wall penetration danger should be moderate and you'd be whacking a bad guy with a burst of near .32 ACP slugs.

I won't waste much time extolling the power of 0, 00, and 000 Buckshot. We all know that they are devastating at close range and that their penetration power make them somewhat risky for in home use. But no one can deny their effectiveness as anti-personnel loads. All I will say is that these shells are almost as effective as popular legend makes them appear.

What do I use?

When things go bump in the night, I grab my S&W Model 686 revolver loaded with Federal Pemium 125 gr JHP's. If I think I might need a long gun I reach for my Rossi M-92 SRC in .357 Magnum loaded with the same ammo. I do keep my old Mossberg M-500 18.5" 12 gauge loaded though. When I lived in Mississippi in an old frame house within spitting distance of neighbors I kept it loaded with four #1 Buckshot and two Breneke Slugs. now that I'm back in Alabama in a brick house with more space between the neighbors I'm back to my old habit of two 00 Buckshot, followd by one Brenekee slugs, followed by two 000 Buckshot and another Breneke slug.

The rest of you gents can use whatever load you wish. These are my thoughts on the matter and the data upon which I reached my conclusions. As always, your mileage may vary. I will make one final comment before closing. If I'm forced to shoot an intruder with a shotgun, I want to make certain that my side of the story is the only one that gets told, I don't want to have the intruder to survive to sue me for blinding or disfiguring him.

Now y'all have fun, I've already put on my asbestos long john and danged if they don't look funny under a kilt! :)
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

000 or 00 Buck in first barrel. Brenneke 600-gr. slug in second. Handful of BOTH for backup. (#2s or BBs if "birdshot's" all you've got...) .45 Colt prn...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

With all due respect Doc H, I am prepared to bet that of all the folk killed by accident or intended from a shotgun the majority died from birdshot upto BB size.

If 5s &4s can pass through a ring neck at nearly 40yds a whole ounce plus at less than 20' sure is going deep.

How far was the guy running around shot at and what with?

With out those facts the incident is of little use.

Somebody could use 00 buck at 100yds and it would be pretty useless!

Slugs won't go through a brick wall no, but glass windows,,,,,,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can tell most of y'all havnt' thought about touching off a high power/pressure round in a closed space without earplugs..... :lol: Yer gonna bleed thru the ears for a month after using that .444 or other high powered rifle/shotgun inside.....A nice low velocity, heavy slug weapon will be highly effective and not wreck you and your families hearing. A .45acp is not too bad, or a reduced power shotgun slug. Personally, I have a 9422mag, and a 1911, and a couple .22s sprinkled around close to hand.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I use #8 shot for home bound self defense because I can buy 100 rd boxes real cheap at Wal-Mart. Spray and pray, baby!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Doc Hudson wrote:

Nath.

Shoot correctly,.... and there will never be a need for a lawyer.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Don't forget "heirs & estate..."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:I can tell most of y'all havnt' thought about touching off a high power/pressure round in a closed space without earplugs..... :lol: Yer gonna bleed thru the ears for a month after using that .444 or other high powered rifle/shotgun inside.....A nice low velocity, heavy slug weapon will be highly effective and not wreck you and your families hearing. A .45acp is not too bad, or a reduced power shotgun slug. Personally, I have a 9422mag, and a 1911, and a couple .22s sprinkled around close to hand.

Hmmmm,... and how many 444 owners do you know,... who don't know they need ear plugs, inside or out

8) :lol: 8)
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Buck Elliott wrote:Don't forget "heirs & estate..."

Dead men tell no lies.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Nath wrote:With all due respect Doc H, I am prepared to bet that of all the folk killed by accident or intended from a shotgun the majority died from birdshot upto BB size.
No offense taken and with due respect to you i will wager that a majority of people killed outright by small shot were shot at contact distand or not much more. I'd also expect that many who died from birdshot overload lingered for quite some time and would have been capable of xontinuing to fight for a while after acquiring their wounds

If 5s &4s can pass through a ring neck at nearly 40yds a whole ounce plus at less than 20' sure is going deep.

How far was the guy running around shot at and what with?

With out those facts the incident is of little use.

i do not know the range all that was sais was that the shooting ocured inside a home or on the front porch. Range was most likely well under ten yards.

Somebody could use 00 buck at 100yds and it would be pretty useless!

Agreed! past about 40 or 50 yards you need a rifle or large bore handgun.

Slugs won't go through a brick wall no, but glass windows,,,,,,

I count on a slug being able to penetrate furniture and inteerior walls. There are no windows or no neighbors in the line of fire from entrances to my home.

Nath.
This topic is almost as controversial as .4 ACP vs.357 Mag vs 9 mmP ain't it?

Image Image
UNITE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

76/444 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I can tell most of y'all havnt' thought about touching off a high power/pressure round in a closed space without earplugs..... :lol: Yer gonna bleed thru the ears for a month after using that .444 or other high powered rifle/shotgun inside.....A nice low velocity, heavy slug weapon will be highly effective and not wreck you and your families hearing. A .45acp is not too bad, or a reduced power shotgun slug. Personally, I have a 9422mag, and a 1911, and a couple .22s sprinkled around close to hand.

Hmmmm,... and how many 444 owners do you know,... who don't know they need ear plugs, inside or out

You are truly amazingly fast if you are able to don ear protection in the face of a split second decision to defend yourself.....I hope it don't cost your life to save your ears :mrgreen: Some of those 405s loaded up to about 700fps would be the cat's meow for inside and not hurt much to shoot.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Another vote for #4 Buck.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:
76/444 wrote:

You are truly amazingly fast if you are able to don ear protection in the face of a split second decision to defend yourself.....I hope it don't cost your life to save your ears :mrgreen: Some of those 405s loaded up to about 700fps would be the cat's meow for inside and not hurt much to shoot.

Plugs are sitting next to the bed. Five dogs give me a little bit better than a split second. But i am taking your advice on that loading to heart. Makes MUCH sense!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

This topic is almost as controversial as .4 ACP vs.357 Mag vs 9 mmP ain't it?

Sure is Doc, lets hope we never need this!

N. :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Without a Doubt #6 shot. It is loaded in both my HD shotguns right now. Nothing better!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

If you are worrying about the legal implications of over penetration you should not be shooting at all. In most states deadly force is only permissible when the intruder poses an immediate threat to one's life and safety. If you are not convinced that it is a 'do or die' situation you should not be shooting. If you are convinced you would not be concerning yourself of the legal consequences.

"It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[If shot won't penetrate a wall, it also wont penetrate a body enough to be instantly incapacitating.]

With all due respect - that's a load of horse pukey.

I/ME/PERSONALLY, had an AD with a 12ga birdshot load of #6's inside my home in 1967, after I returned home from a local hunting trip. :oops:

No "theory", no "tests", no "if's" -

Just an errant shotload that sailed over the head of my nearby infant son :shock: , and through TWO interior walls/partitions :o ( this, in a ca.1900 house that had walls constructed of full-sized 2x4's, with wood lathe and horsehair plaster on both sides of both partitions).

AFTER the charge of #6 birdshot penetrated the TWO interior walls - it then continued on, half spraying AND penetrating my son's empty (Thank God) crib, with the other half disappearing into the house's exterior wall, where it failed to exit (thank God for that, too). :roll:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Flamin heck Pete :shock:

I sure would not of liked to of seen that happen. Glad it turned out ok.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Oh hell!!! Shoot the bastard with yer shotgun and bleed him with yer knife before the cops get there. Nobody running around throwing a fit and threatening law suits that way.
ED
Yer never too old
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Well, right or wrong, my Remington 870 marine magnum has 6 rounds in the tube - alternating 00 buck and slug. There are 4 additional slug rounds in the Tacstar holder on the left side of the receiver and 5 more 00 rounds in an Allen elastic holder on the stock.

If any walls are standing when I get that thing emptied I'm gonna swing it like a Louisville Slugger and grab the SKS or AR.

( I can't grab the 1886 because the barrels too danged long on it to get out of the rack swiftly :D )

Over penetration be darned. I ain't worried about the neighbors, cause it's probably them breaking in.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

vancelw wrote:Well, right or wrong, my Remington 870 marine magnum has 6 rounds in the tube - alternating 00 buck and slug. There are 4 additional slug rounds in the Tacstar holder on the left side of the receiver and 5 more 00 rounds in an Allen elastic holder on the stock.

If any walls are standing when I get that thing emptied I'm gonna swing it like a Louisville Slugger and grab the SKS or AR.

( I can't grab the 1886 because the barrels too danged long on it to get out of the rack swiftly :D )

Over penetration be darned. I ain't worried about the neighbors, cause it's probably them breaking in.
:lol: you expecting more than one then :lol:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Pete44ru wrote:[If shot won't penetrate a wall, it also wont penetrate a body enough to be instantly incapacitating.]

With all due respect - that's a load of horse pukey.

I/ME/PERSONALLY, had an AD with a 12ga birdshot load of #6's inside my home in 1967, after I returned home from a local hunting trip. :oops:

No "theory", no "tests", no "if's" -

Just an errant shotload that sailed over the head of my nearby infant son :shock: , and through TWO interior walls/partitions :o ( this, in a ca.1900 house that had walls constructed of full-sized 2x4's, with wood lathe and horsehair plaster on both sides of both partitions).

AFTER the charge of #6 birdshot penetrated the TWO interior walls - it then continued on, half spraying AND penetrating my son's empty (Thank God) crib, with the other half disappearing into the house's exterior wall, where it failed to exit (thank God for that, too). :roll:

Hey Pete,... help me out here, guy? I don't see the conflict between what you quoted and what you testified to. Where's the horse pucky? 8)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nath wrote: Over penetration be darned. I ain't worried about the neighbors, cause it's probably them breaking in.
:lol: you expecting more than one then :lol:

N.[/quote]

:D Just doing my civic duty and being prepared for homeland security. :D

I ain't worried about ear protection either....too late for that. :cry:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The experts all say to use 00 buck because.............you want to kill the perp and you just never know what obstacles will be in your path, so birdshot could get you killed if you only hit them with a few pellets. A few pellets of 00 will take the fight out of them. (hopefully)

While a shotgun is kept handy, I prefer single projectiles and a few SKS's with 30 round mags are close by, as are a multitude of revolvers. -----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Buck Elliott wrote:Don't forget "heirs & estate..."

That's why I'm thankful for our Castle Law. If the shooting is ruled justified than can't sue you for anything!

00 buck for me please.
NRA Life Member
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

No kidding on the ears ringing. My buddy, who did not exhibit proper firearm safety while handling one of my guns, shot a fairly stout handloaded .357 off in my living room. It was partially my fault. I thought I unloaded it, and turns out I missed one round. He didn't check it, though, so I put that part on him. Always check guns thoroughly, and treat them as if they are loaded. Needless to say I was NOT happy, but didn't say much at the time because I couldn't even hear myself talk my ears were ringing so bad.

As to what I use - short barrel 870 with 00 buck, and a .44 mag Blackhawk by the bed. Not my first choice for a home defense handgun, but I sold my two semi's so all I have left are a few Ruger single actions.

I'm with Doc Hudson, dead men tell no tales. I don't want to have to worry about someone coming back to sue me, or coming back for a second try after he gets a stern talking to by the judge and put on probation. I don't think too many people could survive a chest full of 00 inside the house. I also then don't have to worry about them getting up while I am calling the police. I have a lot of respect for a lot of officers, as my best friend is one, but, "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away".
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

00 buck is ready in my office along with a Mossberg 500. Can't see that I would need a slug in the house.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Gotta a couple of shotgun stories....back in about 1964 my dad was involved in a shooting....he was a reserve/honorary Deputy Sheriff and was riding with a full time Deputy....we live in a small Texas ranch town that had no police force just a night watchman. The night watchman was a retired railroad man and he would ride around checking doors etc...the little town had given him a Colt Police Positive and ammo....daddy and the Deputy came thru town about 9 PM and noticed someone in the Dry Goods store....they stopped and the night watchamn drove up to see what was up....there were two black men inside the store trying on shoes. The night watchman went around back and daddy and the Deputy walked right up to the plate glass store front...they tapped on the glass and one feller jumps up and heads out the back....the other jumps up and runs right at them....pistol in his belt...they holler and he grabs the pistol and boom....a load of 12 ga 00 Buckshot at about 15 feet....whole glass front comes down...the mess inside the store was terrible....other guy gets past the night watchman and hits the hiway a running....local rancher and his wife are coming back into town and actually clip him with their Buick.....Highway Patrolman is coming to assist and sees the Buick versus badguy and stops....well in those days somebody running at night was not jogging....

THP friend that is retired told me they loaded their 870's with Slug, 00 Buck, Slug then 00 Buck...empty chamber so sequence would be Buckshot, slug, Buckshot, slug.....

jumbeaux
Nixterdemus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nixterdemus »

I always liked #4 buck as the great compromise. I bought some 3" steel BB, 1 1/4 oz @ 1400'ps that I'm considering starting out of the chute followed by the 4 & 00 or 000.

Store didn't have any lead BB so I figure the steel outa be good for 30 or 40 yards before it starts slowing down. If that pair of pit bulls come back through the woods I'm gonna send them to the happy hunting grounds.

Of course I like the idea of buck n ball loads and the double & tri-ball.

I always keep ear muffs and plugs handy. Anyone use those plastic plugs that have a small hole in the middle? I think you're supposed to be able to hear while keeping out the worst. I was curious if they worked well enough.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

#4 shot pheasant load... yes judge this is my perfectly legal hunting load in my hunting shotgun....i did not plan this to happen... i am the victem here!
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

a big man with drugs on board can take a lot of pain. put them down.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Neither! I don't care what anyone sez, a SG is not a good home defense weapon. Inside it is too noisy, the widely touted "spread" isn't, and it can be cumbersome to maneuver in tight spaces, such as hallways, around corners and entering rooms. You either leave yourself vulnerable, or you're leading with the long gun and subject to having it wrested from your grasp! :arrow:

Master a handgun, load it with Glazer safety slugs and keep it in tight! :P

If the threat is still outside, and you're inside... dial 911 and hope the cavalry arrives before you need to engage an armed intruder. If you're being fired on from outside, use a true long gun (rifle of appropriate caliber and accuracy to deal with threat) and the consequences be... well, you know what I mean! :mrgreen:

Dead men don't testify very well. And they can't sue. IF, and I say a big IF, you're actually being fired on... there well be plenty of evidence to support your meeting a deadly threat with equal or greater force. Frankly, I'll take my chances on a court of my peers rather than the erroneous, but extremely popular, liberal, expectation of good intent on the part of those attacking my homestead. :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Oh, Griff;
Thank you,
Thought I was a lone voice in the wilderness,
Shotgun is totally unsuited for this scenario.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Griff wrote:Neither! I don't care what anyone sez, a SG is not a good home defense weapon. Inside it is too noisy, the widely touted "spread" isn't, and it can be cumbersome to maneuver in tight spaces, such as hallways, around corners and entering rooms. You either leave yourself vulnerable, or you're leading with the long gun and subject to having it wrested from your grasp! :arrow:

Master a handgun, load it with Glazer safety slugs and keep it in tight! :P

If the threat is still outside, and you're inside... dial 911 and hope the cavalry arrives before you need to engage an armed intruder. If you're being fired on from outside, use a true long gun (rifle of appropriate caliber and accuracy to deal with threat) and the consequences be... well, you know what I mean! :mrgreen:

Dead men don't testify very well. And they can't sue. IF, and I say a big IF, you're actually being fired on... there well be plenty of evidence to support your meeting a deadly threat with equal or greater force. Frankly, I'll take my chances on a court of my peers rather than the erroneous, but extremely popular, liberal, expectation of good intent on the part of those attacking my homestead. :twisted:
A man after my own heart!

i;ve been warning folks of the danger of relying on a long gun for home defense for years!

I often suggest they use a broom handle as a shotgun substitute and have a friend hide in their home and attempt to disarm them as the try to clear the house with their yard of 'shotgun" sticking out in front.

If that little experiment doesn't make you a believer in handguns for home defense, nothing will.

Image Image
UNITE!