Internal Gun Locks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Internal Gun Locks

Post by Bridger »

Anybody else who just flat don't wanna buy a gun with some sort of internal gun lock that requires a key? As far as I'm concerned, no thanks. I'll just have to stick to used guns.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Internal Gun Locks

Post by Modoc ED »

I just bought myself a S&W Model 64 .38 Special +P K-frame revolver for Christmas. It has what S&W calls an "Internal Key Lock". No biggie. You want to use it -- use it. You don't want to use it -- don't use it.

You'll just deny yourself some really nice guns in the future if you cast a jaundiced eye on the new fangled internal revolver locks.
ED
Yer never too old
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I'm with you. To me, they are a needless complication that only increases the chance of malfunction and accident.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've bought a couple like that and it doesn't bother me in the least, I just don't use them. My S&W 629 has a lock that is placed neatly out of the way in such a manner that I forget it's even there.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don't get me started about the internal function prevention devices.
We just had a dust up here a couple weeks ago about safeties and internal locks.

Here we go, a 4 pager started by Old Savage. My response is on Pg 3.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23053&hilit=internal+locks
I'm surprised I didn't get run out town on a lame horse for my opinions.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:I'm surprised I didn't get run out town on a lame horse for my opinions. Joe
We're still looking for a horse, but it's not to run you out of town, but rather to help you get the heck out of Illinois...!

I can 'accept' (but not necessarily like) an 'internal gun lock' IF it is designed to be utterly reliable, and I can count on it being on, off, or (if I choose) removed. For instance, the Taurus one is simply a set-screw that backs up and out and impinges on the frame so the hammer can't draw back. Although I dislike some of the 'lawyerness' of it, it is a simple design, can be reliably engaged or not engaged, and could if you chose, be removed and the gun function as if it were not there.

Obviously, the REAL 'child-proofing' is with the child, and not the gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've turned down Remington 700s, S&Ws, Tauruses, etc, with internal locks. I do have a couple of Rugers with their internal lock. Why? Because it is positive off, can't be messed with and is hidden. I did get a Marlin with the CB safety. Why? Because there isn't one without in this version, 1894CL, and I put a Ludwig CB replacement in it before I got the FP-94/36 installed!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

El Chivo "isn't there anything we can do to get J Miller to post again on this thread?" from the old safety thread JMiller cited. Well no El but the new year is here and so is Joe in all his glory. :D

But thanks Joe for that, I went back and reread it - I forgot that I didn't like these dang key locks. :shock:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:El Chivo "isn't there anything we can do to get J Miller to post again on this thread?" from the old safety thread JMiller cited. Well no El but the new year is here and so is Joe in all his glory. :D

But thanks Joe for that, I went back and reread it - I forgot that I didn't like these dang key locks. :shock:
OS,
You're welcome.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

dont like the idear of locking devices at all . yes you can remove it but im geting sick & tired of buying brand new products & then haveing to repair/mod them so thay work properly
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Internal locks on revolvers have failed with heavy max loads it would be aggravating if it happened when hunting but down right lethal if it happened coming up against a predator 4 or 2 legged. I'll pass on the makers that have them and buy used or just stick with rugers. danny
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

BigSky56 wrote:Internal locks on revolvers have failed with heavy max loads it would be aggravating if it happened when hunting but down right lethal if it happened coming up against a predator 4 or 2 legged. I'll pass on the makers that have them and buy used or just stick with rugers. danny
Rugers have em too.
ED
Yer never too old
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I recently bought a new (store demo model) revolver. After owning it and shooting it for over a month I realized it had an internal lock. I never knew it and it didn't come with the key. It still has never been activated and I still don't have the key. I thought about when I would ever use it. I think it's a good idea if you have the gun packed for travel, like in a box in your car (moving for instance) or in you luggage for air travel. Not a bad idea for shipping either. Send the key separately ahead. This way if it is stolen from one of these circumstances it is inert until the thief makes a substantial effort to get a key. Now, most manufacturers won't sell or send you a key without you providing the serial #. A lot of thieves won't do it because there would be a record of who/where the key was sent for that "stolen" gun. I don't require it on a gun but it doesn't bother me and could actually be useful in limited circumstances. I don't know all the styles of locks out there but this one is ON or OFF with no chance of coming off either position "accidentally".
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

86er - What brand is that gun you got?

For that new S&W 64 I bought for X-Mas, I wanted two extra keys so I called S&W asked for two spare keys, offered to pay but the S&W Rep said no cost, compliments of S&W. Didn't have to provide a serial number -- only name and mailing address. Had the two spare keys within 7-days.

If it's safety related, more than likely an OEM will send you whatever item you need at no cost with no questions asked -- Owners Manual, safety key, etc..
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It is said that Rugers revolver locks can use a standard handcuff key. I do not know this from experience, but the pictures I've seen of their looks sure look like it could be true.

A thing about locks. All of them can be defeated by a creative thief. Rugers and Springfields would be the easiest, but S&Ws is a piece of cake as well.
I personally despise these things, but I take it upon myself to learn about them. S&Ws locks have failed, this is not internet legend, but fact.
Springfields 1911 locks I don't know about, never heard anything about them other than they are soooooo very easy to dispose of. Just replace the main spring housing. That's it.
Rugers locks have failed too. Not by engaging or disengaging, but by coming apart. The early ones had defective rivets and the lock body separated in the grip. I can defeat a locked one in about 5 minutes if I wanted to. No big deal.

I won't ever own a S&W because although their locks are removable doing so leaves a big ugly hole in the frame.
However Springfield does make a really great 1911 series and someday I want another one. Finding a used one like the one I bought in 96 might not be doable. So disposing of the key lock is an absolute must.
All of Rugers little locks are easily removed and substituted by other means.

In my opinion thinking of uses for the internal key locks is like having an answer and looking for a problem to fit it.

Joe
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Oops, the revolver I referred to is a Taurus.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

86er wrote:Oops, the revolver I referred to is a Taurus.
86er, Does that Taurus have just the screw lock in the hammer, or that and some other lock? I'm not as up on them as I should be.

Joe
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ed , didnt know ruger had gone to internal locks in 2005 have to by pre 2005 rugers now. Learn something new every day thanks. danny
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BigSky56 wrote:Ed , didnt know ruger had gone to internal locks in 2005 have to by pre 2005 rugers now. Learn something new every day thanks. danny
Danny,

So far only the blued Blackhawks, Super Single Sixes, New Vaqueros, 50th Anniversary flattops, .44 Spcl Flattop, 41 Flattop, ( everything built with the new version of the XR3 grip frame), the Mk III autos, the P345 have the internal locks.
The stainless Blackhawks and the other models are so far uncorrupted by locks.
This is of course subject to correction. All my Rugers are over 35 years old.

Joe