Texas Deer Hunting Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Texas Deer Hunting Rifles

Post by thornblom »

Being born and raised in Texas, and having done a lot of deer hunting there, I have seen all manner of rifles used to hunt deer. From the very old to the newest rifle available. But when you get to the hunters that are in the age group of between 50 to 70 years old, 3 rifles come to mind as being seen very often on Texas hunting property. (1) Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 WCF (2) Winchester Model 70 in .270 WCF and (3) Savage Model 99 in .300 SAV.

I know that there are a lot more rifles and calibers used in Texas than this, but on the ranches that I have hunted these 3 examples were most prevelant.

What 3 rifles and calibers have ya'll seen the most on your forrays into the Texas hunting grounds?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

PS: Most of my deer hunting in Texas has been in 3 areas: (1) 100 mile radius of Bay City, (2) 100 mile radius of Lufkin, (3) 100 mile radius of Marble Falls

Dang near everyone I knew in Texas owned a 94 Winchester and most likely carried it in their truck, so from that I figured they hunted with them. Seen a lot of them in deer camp.
Last edited by thornblom on Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Texas Deer Hunting Rifles

Post by TomF »

Other than myself, I have never witnessed another hunting with a Winchester 94, 30-30. The Savage 99 is just about that rare as is the Model 70. Most of what I have seen are Remington bolt and automatics and Marlin leverguns. .30-'06 and 30-30 were the most common, .308 and 6mm were second.

TomF
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I would have to say from what I've seen the 270 is the most popular single round, and the bolt action the most used type of rifle. Unless your in hunt camp with Joe and me. I normally use my BLR in 358 for just about everything.
Ricky

DWWC
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Let's see...I grew up (debatable :lol: ) with a Win 94 carbine in .30-30 my Grandfather bought for me when I was 3, my Grandfather used a Rem 742 in -06 IIRC and The Old Man (aka Dad) used a Marlin 336 in .30-30.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

In Wisconsin 30-30 Winchester and Marlin are very prevelant. But the Rem 760 and 742 in 30-06 I would say are the next most common. My father sold his marlin and bought a 742 because when in Korea he liked his automatics. I see a used Savage 99 in almost every gunshop , yet I've never seen anyone hunt with one.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

thornblom wrote:Being born and raised in Texas, and having done a lot of deer hunting there, I have seen all manner of rifles used to hunt deer. From the very old to the newest rifle available. But when you get to the hunters that are in the age group of between 50 to 70 years old, 3 rifles come to mind as being seen very often on Texas hunting property. (1) Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 WCF (2) Winchester Model 70 in .270 WCF and (3) Savage Model 99 in .300 SAV.

I know that there are a lot more rifles and calibers used in Texas than this, but on the ranches that I have hunted these 3 examples were most prevelant.

What 3 rifles and calibers have ya'll seen the most on your forrays into the Texas hunting grounds?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

PS: Most of my deer hunting in Texas has been in 3 areas: (1) 100 mile radius of Bay City, (2) 100 mile radius of Lufkin, (3) 100 mile radius of Marble Falls

Dang near everyone I knew in Texas owned a 94 Winchester and most likely carried it in their truck, so from that I figured they hunted with them. Seen a lot of them in deer camp.
A battered old .30-30 was the only centerfire rifle my grandfather ever owned, to my knowledge. I usually reached for the .30-'06 or the .270 only because the .30-30 didn't have a scope. You see so many esoteric calibers nowadays that I can't even keep up with all of them.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

Well Gentlemen, I have to admitt that I have shared some deer camps with some hunters that were much older than I was back then. The 94 .30-30's were all pre 64 (and more than likely pre 1940's for the most part), the model 70's in .270 were also all pre 64, and the Savage 99's in .300 SAV all had the sliding safety on the lever, not on the tang. Older gentlemen using older weapons. Man, I wouldn't take anything for the experiences gained by hunting with those old timers. I can say old timer because at 63 years of age, now I am an old timer.

Sadly, all those gentlemen are gone now, but they live on in my memories.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Where I grew up,... monotonously as above, 30/30 and 30/06. I had one hunting buddy in Maine that introduced me to the 32 spl. he preferred. But I never met anyone else who did. I liked 12ga. and 30/30 in my youth.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

for me it was the 375 winchester BB94,marlin 45/70 and now a marlin 444.
most of the hunters around here use those new fangled bolt action rifles.
at one deer lease I got asked if I had any "real" rifles to hunt with :lol:

pete
DAV life member.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

txpete wrote: at one deer lease I got asked if I had any "real" rifles to hunt with :lol:
Not exactly the same quote, but i had a buddy ask me "Don't you have anything modern? All i ever see you with lately are leverguns and old 1911's ! "

I actually took it as a compliment on the inside, but i simply reminded him that actions speak louder than words
----- Doug
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The 6mm is popular in Texas?

I guess that explains a lot. I don't think I've ever even seen one that I could remember.

I do remember once though sometime around 1976 or '77 reading an officer killed summery in our squad room. They came from the teletype and were always short and to the point. It seems that a Texas Public Safety officer had stopped a vehicle in which there was an escaped convict. The convict overpowered the officer taking his gun and shot him six times. The convict was stopped by a passerby with a 6mm rifle.
Something about that always stood out in my mind. I could always just picture in my mind some fellow seeing the scene unfold and taking his deer rifle and putting an end to the situation. The 6mm part for some reason always seemed to stand out.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Rusty the DPS Officers Association (Now the Texas State Troopers Association) presented the fine gentleman a very nice pistol for his action to stop the attack. It was on display at the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame in Waco. BTW this gentleman was returning home with his son when he took the action that stopped the bad guy.....forever....

jumbeaux
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Hosting lot of deer hunters in TX each year gives me insight into what folks are using. It seems 60 yr old and up crowd folks most often show up with 243, 270 and 30-06. The 40-50 yr olds most commonly have 280 Rem, 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag. The 20-40 yr old group has 7mm-08, 270 and 300 WSM's, and 257 Weatherby. This is stand hunting out of box blinds with the cross-trails or feeders situated at 100 yards, and the hunters know this before arriving. As far as leverguns, I actually see just about the same representation among the age groups. 30-30, 300 Savage and once in a while 45-70. What is interesting is that most of the folks that show up with these are in two categories: using their childhood rifle or using a rifle that belonged to an uncle, father or grandfather. There is a notable increase in lady hunters on these deer hunts and it is interesting to me that they are predominantly using 45 and 50 caliber muzzleloaders (even though it is not required) and a lot of single shot rifles (T/C and CVA, Ruger #1 and Browning 1885) in 308, 280 Rem and 270, and bolt guns in 7mm-08, and 308 more often than anything else. I think outdoor TV has a lot to do with the women's choices (or the mens choices for them). I don't do a lot of the guiding myself for the deer hunters, but my friends have been out there 23 days with out clients and the clients # into the low one hundreds. There have been few surprises or oddities, but the one's that stick out are 338-06, 243WSSM, 25WSSM, 318 Westley Richards, 416 Rem Mag and 25 Remington Automatic. I'd not seen these cartridges used anywhere before or I didn't think someone would bring one for TX whitetails. Well, look who's talking, I used a 375 H&H for two of mine this year. And one with a 221 Fireball.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

The Pineywoods of East Texas sees aliitle bit of everything....shots can be 15 yards to whatever someone thinks they can try.....my hunting friends mostly use .243, .308, 7mm-08 and 30-06. My son shoots my dad's .280, a group of friends all shoot Browning Levers in .243, .308 and 7mm-08, I use a '06 or a 30 WCF or a .357 mag......most common in this area.....243, 30-30 and '06...

jumbeaux
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I am an import but I have to say that I've seen more .243 Wins here being used for deer hunting than any other caliber. Sure, the 30-30's are still out there and .270 Win is also pretty big too but I've never seen .243 Win being used as much.

But this may be because I'm in the Hill Country and northern southern Texas area - which tends to hold smallish deer.

Oh and this is usually in some kind of bolt gun.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
texshooter
Levergunner

Post by texshooter »

Growing up in Alpine/Fort Davis (Mule deer) the popular guns with locals were 30-30 and 30-06. My current favorite is my 7-08. AJ
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My Dad has been switch hitting with a .30-30 or a .30-06 since he came back from Korea.

I've been hunting with a .356Win for the last 26 years, and just recently started carting around my .45-70 "just in case". :lol:

I usually carry either a .357 or a .30-30 in the truck.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My old Dad gave me a Winchester Canadian 30-30 when I was 12. I have hunted Texas deer, turkey, and pigs for almost 35 years with it and shot a real fat doe last week in the neck at 47 yards with 150 Corelockt. While I have other rifles I need no other. One day my boy (7) will get this gun, if he is over 6'1 and 260 lbs with a big knife.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

When I wain the Army, every guy I met from Texas thought the 7mm Mag was the greatest round ever invented! :roll: Never did understand the infatuation for a .284 size bullet...
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I grew up hunting on Fort Jackson in Columbia, SC. I remember seeing various military surplus rifles. And there were several 30-30's (both Marlins and Winchesters), but lots and lots of Remington bolt-actions in 30-06. My dad and I both carried 8mm Mausers that he restored, while my brother loved (and still has) an old 30 cal. M-1 carbine that was made by Singer Sewing Machine Company. On the dove fields, Remington 870's, Browning A-5's, and Remington 1100's.

I can still taste the chicken necks and rice that Pee Wee cooked up for us in a huge cast-iron cauldron. He called it "Vertebrae Stew". :D A little hot sauce and some sliced bread. mmm mmm mmm!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

octagon wrote:One day my boy (7) will get this gun, if he is over 6'1 and 260 lbs with a big knife.
:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

From what I see on this subject Texas is similar to up here. The only difference is the older hunters when I was younger used
Lee Enfield 303 British, either in military form or sporterized (bubbaed). Levers in 30-30 both Winchester or Marlins and once in a while a Mod 99. Now we see a lot of pumps and semis (Remington ) and bolts in a 30-06 or 7mm. I still carry levers either my 356 or 300 savage. Lots of the guys hunting in Quebec usually hunt moose in early fall and deer later in the fall so larger calibers (larger than 30-30) are seen.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.