9422 saves lives!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

9422 saves lives!

Post by Nath »

That may be an over statement!
It is not very often I can get Jayne in the woods with me but today I did.
As we walked in the cold frosty air and sun me toting my 9422 we were interupted by the presence of two trail moterbikes riding around the wood.

I knew they should not be there and so approached them. I asked if they had permission to ride in this wood and nothing but bad attitude and abuse flowed back.

With Jayne at my side I stood my ground and told him that they can not ride in here with out the owners permission. He tried to buy me off with lame reasons but my replies demonstrated that I did know what I was talking about and he smeemed to be getting more and more abusive. I refused to give him my name but would gladly do so infront of the land owner!

At this point he turned his attention to my gun and threatened to shove it up my @$$.
It was this point that things changed in me, I think it's called the thousand yard stare!
Jayne says she saw my face change and thought "oh stuff".

This guy got off his bike and towered over me abusing me in my face. This was far to close for me and the thought of losing my licence was what stopped me from flipping!
Gritting my teeth I got ready for the first blow but my hand was on the wrist of my slung 94.
No way was I going to give him my gun so he could potentionally use it on us. All I was thinking was reach for it and it's a go! Jayne says by now my eyes were black and full of hurt!

Thankfully, he backed of which to us was significant and we wonder what may of happened if I was not carrying! We feel he was holding back such was his obvious violent character hence the title.

We stood our ground and prevailed, jayne was by my side all the time and helped me to walk away as I was so angry.

I am still shaking now two hours later!

I reported this to the police and the landowner may know who it is! Here's hoping!

He was a big bloke, next time I am in there I will fill the mag up full!

Oh, and I forgot I had my camera on me :roll:

Britain is a very violent place, covered up with a thin crust of BS.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 9422 saves lives!

Post by Old Savage »

Good for you Nath - shows fortitude.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

You were steadier then I would have been. Because if he had threatened me, he would have been looking down the barrel of that cocked and loaded 94/22 before he ever got in range of grabbing it.

I would say what you experienced was what we call here, in the U.S., "a mexican standoff", which is probably not a P.C. approved term, anymore, although I have heard it called that all of my life.
NRA Life Member, Patron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sometimes NOT shooting takes more courage than grabbing for iron. You did good.

When I was a kid, I noted that when I had a 'hunting' gun and merely acted like a landowner who didn't like trespassers, some guys would act belligerent and provoke a fight, but if I had an 'assault rifle', or if I acted a bit crazy, they'd not push for a fight. I think the difference was that en route home, the latter circumstance gave them the 'out' to explain to their buddy or girlfriend why they backed down, because they could say "man, that guy was crazy - did you see the clip on that gun he had....?"

Fortunately, the county sheriff's office is happy to come deal with poachers and trespassers these days, so we usually don't have to be confrontational.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

im glad it worked out for you Nath. Well done. Hope they get the guy.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good for you, Nath. I understand your concern for keeping your certificate and not confronting the thing. I think under the circumstances you did the right thing. What did the landowner and the constables say. Hope they were backing you up all the way. Pond scum can be found anywhere at anytime. No one has a monopoly on human fecal.
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

kimwcook wrote:Good for you, Nath. I understand your concern for keeping your certificate and not confronting the thing. I think under the circumstances you did the right thing. What did the landowner and the constables say. Hope they were backing you up all the way. Pond scum can be found anywhere at anytime. No one has a monopoly on human fecal.
It is only hear say at the moment but it looks like this guy may of had dealings with the landowner and may be trying to provoke him. The police just gave me an incident number of my conversation with them.

I don't think I will face this guy again, I will take photos from a distance if possible or find where his vehicle is parked used to transport the bikes. Then I could take the number of the vehicle or puncture tyres or cook sausage on the hood, it all depends on my ying&yang on the day that does.

It's Jayne I worry for, she was crying when we got in going through the what if's but I think she will be ok.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Nath wrote:
It's Jayne I worry for, she was crying when we got in going through the what if's but I think she will be ok.
I hope this doesn't spook your wife off from accompanying you on your hunting trips. Its a good thing she was there to help with the situation if only to help with your description of the situation to the police.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

The fact there was two people there may have kept him from doing anything.

Point of personal safety and defense. DO NOT let anyone get closer than 21 feet unless you're one hundred percent sure of their intentions. Note that it's easy enough to carry your rifle in the crook of your arm, muzzle pointing down. But easy enough from that position to bring it up into their face, if need be.

From someone who's been on the other side of the badge, there is a lot of training on when NOT to shoot.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

hard being the adult, ain't it.

you did the right thing.

would have felt better to do the wrong thing, no doubt.

but, you did good.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sounds as though you handled business the proper way Nath given the circumstances. Good for you. If it were me, I'm afraid the thing would have had a nose job with that Winchester butt plate.
NRA Life Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

You did well Nath. Escalating the issue would mean police attendance and probably confiscation of your Winchester till after it was sorted out in court. :evil:

My ex had a similar problem on a footpath, when I found the guy he was very polite after he noticed the size of the Bowie in my belt. Whoops shouldn't have said that. :roll: I'll have the thought police on my tail.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I dunno what goes through the minds of bad guys in places where there are few guns, but I do know that here, a threatening tresspasser would not have got within 25 feet before hearing "that's close enough" and seeing the rifle pointed just below his feet in a "low ready" position. About another step and he'd be looking down the business end of it.
Certified gun nut
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

adirondakjack wrote:I dunno what goes through the minds of bad guys in places where there are few guns, but I do know that here, a threatening tresspasser would not have got within 25 feet before hearing "that's close enough" and seeing the rifle pointed just below his feet in a "low ready" position. About another step and he'd be looking down the business end of it.
I agree, that is very sensible, however in the UK pointing a gun at someone is considered by the police to be using the gun for purposes not listed on the Firearm certificate.

Likewise if your certificate stated that your rifle was for target shooting and you shot rabbits etc with it, you could lose your certificate and rifle.

Brother, you would have to live here to know how Cuckoo it is.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I know, Gamekeeper, and I feel for those who live under them, especially when the BGs know all that too. Such laws are foolish, and we're in the midst of losing some of our silliest here. AAMOF here in NY, unless in my home, I have a duty to retreat from a threat if possible. The reality is, however, that a man with a gun is given a little more deference here, and LEOs who would be called do not automatically assume the guy with the gun is the "problem".....

We have a rich tradition of self reliance, and as long ago as when Teddy Roosvelt was a NYC plice commissioner he said something to the effect of "there is nothing so civilizing as the notion that a man out for a stroll MIGHT have two pounds of steel in his hand inside his overcoat pocket. Miscreants knew of that potential and factor it in....
Certified gun nut
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Glad you guys came through alright Nath. Good going brother, and thanks to the Almighty for pulling you through without a scratch.
Last edited by C. Cash on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Well Done cousin Nath! Restraint when facing a blowhard can be trying. However, I am impressed with the strength & resolve you showed. It takes courage to face down threats without throttling them. Animals like that are usually cowards. Blowing gas!

Just a suggestion from an old sailor & martial artist: If it happens again, start to circle your adversary increasing your distance a little at a time, looking him up & down. (Yer 'lookin fer targets, sizing him up). "Distance is your best friend-Ed Parker." It will completely unsettle the animal (he's not a person at that point). The thought that HE is the prey will instantly enter his mind-being outflanked. Has worked every time for me. He will turn, believe me he will turn & his aggravated state will shift to fear. If you try it, keep your resolve and your distance.

Berry Berry proud of you...

LB
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

even pointing a gun is a form of assault in some places, I believe that is so in CA, or at least LA County. Also 'brandishing' is a crime here, not sure what that is exactly, sounds like showing your gun in a threatening manner without pointing it.

So it would be pretty easy to lose your firearm privileges here in any sort of standoff, if somebody reports pointing or brandishing, even if they exaggerate it you could have a hard time and lose your gun.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

El Chivo wrote:even pointing a gun is a form of assault in some places, I believe that is so in CA, or at least LA County. Also 'brandishing' is a crime here, not sure what that is exactly, sounds like showing your gun in a threatening manner without pointing it.

So it would be pretty easy to lose your firearm privileges here in any sort of standoff, if somebody reports pointing or brandishing, even if they exaggerate it you could have a hard time and lose your gun.

That's true enough, and one might also loose their CCW License, if they show or flash a gun, without just cause. I had a standoff one night, several years ago, in a motel parking lot. The would be perp, finally left, when he figured out that that I had to be carrying, even though I didnot pull it. In that siduation, at one point, my wife screamed, and it spooked me, I wiped my longtailed shirt back, to draw, in a reflex moment, and he took off. Unfortunately, being a dumb country boy, I always end up in the wrong part of a strange city.

That was a little lesson for me, and I have since tried to stop, before dark, and find a place to stay unless I am driving straight through.
NRA Life Member, Patron
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

You folks over there in the UK have it rough. Heck I don't know if California is as bad. If y'all ever get tried of it over there I bet we could scrunch up a bit to make room over here for a couple more levergunners. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You are all good folks and your support and advice is good to read.

I have with help from others made ID on this guy. Turns out he does have previous and done time two or three times. The worry is he did time for kidnap and assult!

Due to the fact he threatened to find out who we are and because of my wife I am in contact with the police.

We stood our ground and I will again because I and J ain't mice but the police will have some record should things get worse.

It will most probably be that nothing ever happens again but I am making a good ready so to speak. Grandpa allways said better tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Wish I could shake your hands, thanks.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Nath, I think you did alright. Prayers have been said that this will all work out for the best in the end!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Nath wrote:It will most probably be that nothing ever happens again but I am making a good ready so to speak. Grandpa allways said better tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Amen on that. Stay sharp and be safe, Nath.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Nath wrote:That may be an over statement!
It is not very often I can get Jayne in the woods with me but today I did.
As we walked in the cold frosty air and sun me toting my 9422 we were interupted by the presence of two trail moterbikes riding around the wood.

I knew they should not be there and so approached them. I asked if they had permission to ride in this wood and nothing but bad attitude and abuse flowed back.

With Jayne at my side I stood my ground and told him that they can not ride in here with out the owners permission. He tried to buy me off with lame reasons but my replies demonstrated that I did know what I was talking about and he smeemed to be getting more and more abusive. I refused to give him my name but would gladly do so infront of the land owner!

At this point he turned his attention to my gun and threatened to shove it up my @$$.
It was this point that things changed in me, I think it's called the thousand yard stare!
Jayne says she saw my face change and thought "oh stuff".

This guy got off his bike and towered over me abusing me in my face. This was far to close for me and the thought of losing my licence was what stopped me from flipping!
Gritting my teeth I got ready for the first blow but my hand was on the wrist of my slung 94.
No way was I going to give him my gun so he could potentionally use it on us. All I was thinking was reach for it and it's a go! Jayne says by now my eyes were black and full of hurt!

Thankfully, he backed of which to us was significant and we wonder what may of happened if I was not carrying! We feel he was holding back such was his obvious violent character hence the title.

We stood our ground and prevailed, jayne was by my side all the time and helped me to walk away as I was so angry.

I am still shaking now two hours later!

I reported this to the police and the landowner may know who it is! Here's hoping!

He was a big bloke, next time I am in there I will fill the mag up full!

Oh, and I forgot I had my camera on me :roll:

Britain is a very violent place, covered up with a thin crust of BS.

Nath.
your big mistake was approaching them in the 1st place. take down information, take pictures, liscenses plates and then report them to the land owner/law enforcement. i carry ,but only gonna use to save my life or somebody else. otherwise, your looking for a heap of trouble. even over here, the code of the west don't cut it in a court of law. unless, you got the time AND THE BIG BUCKS to buy a judge and jury, in the situation you described, its gonna get turned against you. :cry: yeah, i know, but's that the sad state of affairs we live in.