the sorrows of being broke

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

the sorrows of being broke

Post by AkRay »

I got broke by buying guns though so the story has a happy ending. I found a Marlin Guide Gun in the classified ads of the local paper. It was the standard version with the ported barrel, but the owner had added a WIld West Guns bear proof ejector and had had the gun plated with hard chrome or electroless nickel. He said a place in Florida did the work for him. His asking price was $450.00, so I headed straight over to his house and paid it. It is a nice rifle and I'll enjoy carrying it in the woods. The gun I had to pass on came a couple days later, and it was one of the Puma 454s. This one was blue and was in standard factory guise. The asking price was $300.00 which I would have paid if I hadn't spent available funds on the first gun. I scrambled to find a way, but just couldn't see one with it being this close to Christmas. Of the two I bought the better one, but I wanted to try out a 454 levergun.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: the sorrows of being broke

Post by Dave »

You can't buy them all but you sure can try!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Which is why "plastic" was invented. ;) :mrgreen:

(Let no gun go unbought)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's even more fun when you've borrowed a couple hundred thousand dollars to spend a dozen years in 'higher education', with the promise that afterwards, if you work 60 to 80 hours a week at one of the highest stress jobs there is, you'll eventually reap the rewards and 'catch up' with the dudes who took the union jobs right out of high school. Then when you're 40 and just paying off the last of the loans, and finally moving into a house instead of an apartment, you're accused by Uncle Sam of being 'wealthy' based on your current income, so it is all taxed away, and your business you've worked so hard to build up is destroyed by regulations that favor the welfare parasites.
[/rant off - :? :evil: ]

But yes, it is really frustrating when you hook on to a good deal, only to find it leaves your funds depleted enough you can't do the even better deal that happens by a day later.

If it's any consolation, think about how the first deal WAS really a good deal, and you got a heck of a gun for a reasonable price.

The "man with but one gun" is one to respect, so you did well; a Guide Gun is one heck of a piece of machinery!

Besides, the .454 Casulls are NOT really better than a .45-70 except in terms of magazine capacity.

Think about it - similar energy, but in a platform that is 'stressed to the max' vs reasonable, and both throw lead with similar impact. The .45-70 can use darn near any powder out there, since you have extra case capacity to fool with, but the .454 is fairly picky. If the 'magazine capacity' is that big a deal, you should just get a .50 Beowulf for an AR, and go from there.

So - don't be sad - be HAPPY...! :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

AJMD429 wrote:It's even more fun when you've borrowed a couple hundred thousand dollars to spend a dozen years in 'higher education', with the promise that afterwards, if you work 60 to 80 hours a week at one of the highest stress jobs there is, you'll eventually reap the rewards and 'catch up' with the dudes who took the union jobs right out of high school. Then when you're 40 and just paying off the last of the loans, and finally moving into a house instead of an apartment, you're accused by Uncle Sam of being 'wealthy' based on your current income, so it is all taxed away, and your business you've worked so hard to build up is destroyed by regulations that favor the welfare parasites.
[/rant off - :? :evil: ]

But yes, it is really frustrating when you hook on to a good deal, only to find it leaves your funds depleted enough you can't do the even better deal that happens by a day later.

If it's any consolation, think about how the first deal WAS really a good deal, and you got a heck of a gun for a reasonable price.

The "man with but one gun" is one to respect, so you did well; a Guide Gun is one heck of a piece of machinery!

Besides, the .454 Casulls are NOT really better than a .45-70 except in terms of magazine capacity.

Think about it - similar energy, but in a platform that is 'stressed to the max' vs reasonable, and both throw lead with similar impact. The .45-70 can use darn near any powder out there, since you have extra case capacity to fool with, but the .454 is fairly picky. If the 'magazine capacity' is that big a deal, you should just get a .50 Beowulf for an AR, and go from there.

So - don't be sad - be HAPPY...! :mrgreen:
And it looks like it might be getting even worse brother.

I can't wait for November 2010..... I just hope all of the damage can be reversed and that we'll get the right people to do it. :?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

O.S.O.K. - Amen brother. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.