magic powder ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

magic powder ammo

Post by a357lever »

As to the question of loads to improve performance, i asked, is there manufacturer that made loads to optimize in short barrels? to wich i was informed there is no magic in loads well i talked to a rep a hornady they have a new line that will add average 150fps to any barrel length some well over 200+fps for use in any type action including autoloader its called "Superformance" they say its very accurate in most guns unlike the old light mag for bolt guns, see the video at hornady.com new products. most 150gr stuff has been about 2600fps + - now 2750+fps from my 16" yes indeed now my 3x9 scope comes into play and my 20" BLR 308 will act like an 06' moose hunt next year :mrgreen:
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: magic powder ammo

Post by Terry Murbach »

MY ENGLISH TEACHER MOMMA HAD AN ANSWER FOR STUFF LIKE THIS DREAM ON SWEET DREAMER AND THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES AT ALL IN THE BALLISTICS WORLD EVEN FROM HORNADY IN WHICH THEIR SALES DIVISION ADVERTISING UNIT SAYS LOTS MORE THAN THE AMMO DIVISION AND THE GUMMY TIPPED LEVEREVOLUTION WAS BY'N' LARGE A PILE OF STEAMING DOGDEW NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRIED TO EMBELISH THE TRUTH IN WHICH THE 220grRN 30CAL SIERRA SHOOTS AS FLAT AS THEIR 220gr MATCHKING AND DROPS THE SAME AT 300 YARDS OH BOY AND YESSIRREE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I tested a lot of their previous pipe dreams. But everybody go out and buy some. I want Hornady to stay a viable concern. They make a lot of brass I want/need. As far as the dogdew, it can stay under the dog.
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

i like hornady i will try this new load, the light mag did increase velocity but accuracy dropped off, then federal tried and still offer HE loads, i never used them but this age of new propelents is very interesting they have moved the ball so i will reserve praise for after tests, but i hope they are onto something this could give old cartridges new life or it could be just another shinny lure. worth checking for me anyway :wink:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Terry Murbach wrote:MY ENGLISH TEACHER MOMMA HAD AN ANSWER FOR STUFF LIKE THIS DREAM ON SWEET DREAMER AND THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES AT ALL IN THE BALLISTICS WORLD EVEN FROM HORNADY IN WHICH THEIR SALES DIVISION ADVERTISING UNIT SAYS LOTS MORE THAN THE AMMO DIVISION AND THE GUMMY TIPPED LEVEREVOLUTION WAS BY'N' LARGE A PILE OF STEAMING DOGDEW NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRIED TO EMBELISH THE TRUTH IN WHICH THE 220grRN 30CAL SIERRA SHOOTS AS FLAT AS THEIR 220gr MATCHKING AND DROPS THE SAME AT 300 YARDS OH BOY AND YESSIRREE.
Like Terry Said: "YESSIRREE...!"
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

ok no need too use CAPS on me :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

a357lever wrote:ok no need too use CAPS on me :lol:
Terry always uses caps. Just the way he is.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, that's our Terry :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yep, that's how Terry does it and I've gotten used to it.
Old Law Dawg
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Hope Hornady doesn't go under, I like their .308 86gr JRN for light loads in my W94 30WCF!
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

hornady is a smaller american company and they deserve my business, they got me into shooting the
45-70 i don't like the bullets in leverevo ammo but it got me into shooting levers again . they make some excelent pistol ammo. i don't reload so hornady, double tap, buffalo bore, and others use newer powders and let the average shooter have better choices, ie bullet wieghts and better performance in custom ammo its a joy, especialy in older chamberings, so more power to em i mean they in large part they are the reason for the renewed interest in 45-70, i shot a buffalo bore 430 and 500 hardcast in my 24" marlin it developed one load the 430gr and it had over 3840fpe its africa hunter now. my .02
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

They might want to watch for a trademark infringment. Superformance is a trademark name of a South African Shelby AC Cobra reproduction auto manufacturer. Wonder if they checked?
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Gun Smith wrote:They might want to watch for a trademark infringment. Superformance is a trademark name of a South African Shelby AC Cobra reproduction auto manufacturer. Wonder if they checked?
And because Superformance sells their cars in the U.S. I'll bet they have an iron clad copyright on that name.

Then again, Chevrolet sold the Beretta for several years :wink:
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If the head guys at Hornady will listen to the right people, they'll be in business for quite a while yet. Always seems to be a mistake to listen to the marketing gurus for new product development. Marketers have a place -- AFTER the design & engineering boys (the shooters in the outfit...) get something going...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

J Miller wrote:
a357lever wrote:ok no need too use CAPS on me :lol:
Terry always uses caps. Just the way he is.

Joe
Yeah - he's a true "capitalist" :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

More snake oil from Hornady eh.

Dennis.
JohnM
Levergunner

Re: magic powder ammo -- can be reality based, I've heard.

Post by JohnM »

Well, I'm still pixxed because Marlin went for the .338 Lever-etc when they COULD have gone for a light recoiling, flat shooting .25/257/ [or the kiss of death 6.5, which is about as good as the .338 so far as saleability, IMNSO humble market opinion].

There was a large majoritarian opinion on the old Marlin board for such a .25. There had been done basic ground work on the parent case selection & shape, powders and charges, projected CUP for different bullets [flextips on request ;~`)], expected ballistics, rifle design, and all the rest of a truly new "old style leveraction' -- with likely good average shooter appeal.

Unfortunately, this info was all lost in a puter smnash, my ballastician super-mind buddy is nose deep in other projects, and Regan Nonneman prolly has forgotten our couple of hours+ of feasibility discussion. But do ask Mr Nonneman about the 'modern' .38-56 in a Marlin. You'll see where this all could happen, based on that case and the late 336 action.

Marlin marketing & design seems to be following the Colonial British Enfield model of 'suitable for bashing down doors in forced entry' school of thought. Heavy and stout is good, allright, especially when chunking up heavy and somewhat fast projectiles. BUT -- Haven't they ever handled and shot Model 64's, Model 55's, Model 93's and Model 97's? Apparently, not enough of them, anyway. Nor in .25-35/6. Or even normal thutty.

Americans were not always wide-spread enamored of grizzly-slaying self defense levers. A heckuva lot of .32-20's were sold, in comparison to even .38-40 or .44-40s. I just read that recently in an article about Win '73s. While not an exact mirrored comparison, a slender and lithe levergun in a faster .25 with 120gr zippedo's would kill an awful lot of smaller and mid-sized American game. Extra bonus: 60- 70 gr .25's for vermin, and cast bullets for economical target and plinking.

Since it is unlikely that I can ever fund such a custom design and pay for the prototype ammo testing, I snagged a 336 relined by Bienke to .25-35. The former owner campaigned it in a cast bullet association group over in Georgia, until they banned it in the second season of winning. Could have been the old school, full length Unertal scope on it, or the tire truck tracks on the patched stock wrist, or that the sorta straightened-out bent lever affronted all those pricey guns. But in any event, the leedle carbine shoots. As the mighty Mich whitetail is likely the largest beast I shall yet confront and provoke into a charge...err..stalk and kill....OK, ok: shoot from a tree stand -- it suits me. And, if it delivered a 120gr spitzer flat out to 300 yards with minimum fuss and bother, I bet that .257 Marlin woulda sold a fair share of handy levers, too.

Um......just sayin', ya know? LOL & ;~`)