FTX 325 gr .458 Ballistic Improvement Hoopla-Dead Deer Photo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

FTX 325 gr .458 Ballistic Improvement Hoopla-Dead Deer Photo

Post by vancelw »

(Subject title is tongue in check - don't bash me :D )

Well, I bought my 1886 Browning in .45-70 this summer and worked up a hunting load. I ended up using a Hornady 325 gr FTX bullet over 45.8 gr of IMR 4198. That gave me about 2050 fps. I sighted in the rifle by aiming at a 8-inch black bullseye at 200 yards. The impact was on the bottom edge of the black, meaning i did, in fact, have a load that was good for a 4-inch point blank range of 200 yards.
I did notice that, at 200 yards, the front sight completely hid the 8 inch bullseye. So I figured I realistically needed to be 150 yards or so from a mule deer to make a humane shot and ensure I didn't leave one for the coyotes.
On my way up, I stopped at Cabela's in Rapid City to buy a shotgun sling. It worked, but I have to make something better for next year.

On hunting day in SE Montana, the wind was blowing mercilessly from the WNW. I got up on a high rim to glass, hoping to find the deer lying on the lee side of some hills far away. I did see several deer, including bucks, about 2 miles south of me, but they were on their feet and headed into a deep, heavily wooded coulee. I knew that coulee well, but it was hard to get up on a deer in there. Usually you would look over your shoulder to see the bucks going over the ridge a long ways away from you.

I drove the long way around and parked well outside the area I'd seen the deer.I entered the head of that deep coulee and worked my way into the wind. I was taking baby steps and looking around with each one. I was determined to the the deer before they saw me and bounded away. (I also wanted to keep my heart rate down for a steady shot.) About an hour and a half later, I was crossing a bare point when it dawned on me that I was exposed in an area where my eyes weren't good enough to scan everything that could see me. I hurried my snail's pace just a bit to get myself into a crease between two ridges, about 40 vertical feet from the floor of the main coulee.
When I looked up again, there he was! About 350 yards away across the coulee was a 5 x 5 muley looking right at me. I immediately dropped to the ground behind a small salt sage. I glassed his way, trying to see if there was a way I could get within the 150 yards I wanted to be or if I had spooked him away. He had left his spot and was instead headed in my direction at a fast walk. I could see that he was nothing for the trophy books, but he was a symetrical 5 x 5, and would do just fine for my open sighted 1886.
Next thing I know, the buck is in the bottom of the coulee, running my way at a fast gallop. He's now within the 150 yards I wanted him to be, but he's moving so fast I'm not about to shoot. When he gets to within 100 yards or so, he disappears behind a ridge to my left. My first impression was that he was coming to me, but at this point I'm not sure where he's going. So, I take the coyote call that is always around my neck and blow it like a sick doe. (not intentionally, I'm just sure she sound's sick.)
Within seconds, the buck is standing immediately to my left, wild-eyed and snorting. I raise my 1886 rifle and shoot. He expired.
From the time I first saw the buck 350 yards away until I shot was less than 45 seconds. When I shot, I don't even remember using the sights because he was less than 15 yards away at that time. (of course, I also don't remember cocking the hammer, but I did.)

So....so much for the improved ballistics of the FTX bullet. Later, I realized I could have shot the buck with my .44 Mag Super Redhawk, but it all happened so fast that I didn't even think of the revolver, let alone have time to get it out of the holster. I was still hoping I'd get a broadside, standing shot for my rifle at 150 or less.

He's a trophy for me this year.

I don't know if he thought I was a competing buck, a willing doe, or a coyote. The rut was in full session. I've called lots of bucks to me during the rut, but I've never had one come to me on sight and never so fast.

I was happy a few days later when I shot my doe at 140 yards and the rifle did as expected (even though I'm sure I dropped that heavy barrel a tad right as I was pulling the trigger-the impact was in the lower part of the vitals instead of dead-on.)

I can't wait to try this rifle and the FTX on some hogs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vancelw on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: FTX 325 gr .458 Ballistic Improvement Hoopla

Post by iceman »

Nice going. That is usually the way things go. The largest deer I have shot was a 10 point at about 20 yds. I was using my new to me then 270 win that I had bought for shooting across corn fields.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Congratulations on a nice buck. Sounds like a great time hunting. Where is your 90% NE Texas at, I'm near Greenville in Caddo Mills.
Ricky

DWWC
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Congratulations on a successful hunt. And thanks for the detailed and entertaining post. I look forward to reading your future hunting posts.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Great post and great hunt, congratulations! Really makes me want to do some hunting with my 45-70!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

nemhed wrote:Great post and great hunt, congratulations! Really makes me want to do some hunting with my 45-70!
These dang things are addicting. Now I want a 1886 carbine. Better buy the wife some new carpet first, though.

If I had enough skill and money, I'd buy a saddle ring carbine and rebarrel it to a .40-65, just because. my next investment has to be a better sight.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done there, that shot would of been an archers dream too :D
Good work with the call too.

Nath. :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Deer in the coulee bottem

Post by vancelw »

Nath's scenery photos made me decide to include this one.

From where the deer is laying, the closest house is about 3 miles away as the crow flies.
You can't see anything man-made from right there, not even a fence post.
If you get up on the hills, you can see the smokestacks from the power plant about 30 miles away and a single radio tower in the opposite direction. Neither of those were there in the early 70s.

If it weren't for the jet trails in the sky, you'd think you were all by yourself....which stinks when your back is out and you have a deer on the ground. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Looks like fantastic country!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Congrats ! Suicidal venison tastes just as good as unconsious venison IMHO - so I hope you enjoy it.

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nice buck!!

Back when I was into magnums I had just bought a 300 Win for that far away shot. Sighted in at 300 yards I had a commanding view of a dryed up pond, when all of the sudden a doe come down the hill behind me and stops broadside 15 feet away. Oh well I pulled up the rifle and let that 150 grain bullet go. Droped right there.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Congratulations on a fine buck.