OT--Best spotting scope and sharpener

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Best spotting scope and sharpener

Post by getitdone1 »

I've been wasting a lot of time on the internet trying to decide which is best for the money.

1. Spotting scope 20-60x under 500 (star gazing too)
2. Diamond sharpener--quick sharpen and durable
3. Trigger pull gauge--think I've figured this one out:
Lyman Digital at about 47 bucks. Better price somewhere??

Appreciate some help with these items.

Don McCullough
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

CRS purchased a Leupold 15-45X for around $300 to use on our recent New Mexico hunt. I have used a number of spotting scopes extensively. This one was good. It was easy to aquire focus and adjust the magnification while looking at an animal. We glassed elk out to over a mile away. The scope loses some contrast around the lens edges in bright light. My Leica binos at 7X were much clearer and brighter. In some instances I could tell cows from bulls with the Leica 7X but not with the Leupold even at 45X. If you are glassing up to 1000 yards, and you will use it casually this Leupold will make anyone happy. The condition were right for fogging, and it did fog up a low-end back-up bino from Bushnell that I had. The Leupold spotting scope did not fog at all. If you will use it extensively, at very long ranges or if a high-dollar trip may depend on it you will need to spend more or find that one diamond out there that I don't know about yet. If you have any questions about specific scopes, I'll let you know whatever I can if I've used one.
flhroy
Levergunner

Post by flhroy »

Take Care
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

For a sharpener I use a diamond stone that I picked up a wal-mart years ago puts an edge on my knives like no ones buisiness and it fits in my back pocket. I cant seem to get those fancy ones to work for me.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

In my opinion you'd be hard pressed to find a better spotting scope than the Kowa! They are very expensive, but they also make some affordable models that are head and shoulders above anything else in the price range.
The Kowa TS-501 in 20x-40x can be found under $300, and it's better than many others that are twice that much! I wouldn't trade my Kowa for any other spotting scope.
Here's one on Ebay with a cheap "buyit now" price. I don't know anything about the seller, just saw this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kowa-TS-501-Zoom-Of ... p1638.m118
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My new Leupold scope is the Wind River Sequoia, not the Gold Ring. Mine cost just over $200 from Natchez with no tripod (I already had a tripod and monopod). The Gold Ring costs several hundred dollars more, as does their compact scope. Other than this minor qualification on the scope, 86ers evaluation is right on.

PS The angled eyepiece does make game spoting easier from a truck or tripod. You should try both styles before buying.

PPS My always-in-the -pack knife sharpener is the Gerber steel with leather cover and thong. It is always there for a quick touch up if needed.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I notice some of you chose 15 or 20-40,45X rather than 60X. Is 60X a joke unless you buy the super expensive brands?

Don McCullough
g5m
Levergunner

Post by g5m »

"Is 60X a joke unless you buy the super expensive brands?"

Pretty much 'yes'. Too small an exit pupil and generally poor quality viewing at that power. 20-30 power much more user friendly.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Diamond stones are great as are Japanese water stones.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If you really need to see something you will appreicate 45X. More requires a larger objective and a very high quality glass. Also, past 45X you must have it on a solid tripod. The slight movement from a car engine running or trying to hold it still on a monopod will show every little movement. I need 45X and would like 50X too if the scope/brand could make it worth looking through at that power.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I see on www.opticsplanet.net they rate the best Kowa spotting scopes as the best of all brands. But, really expensive. Over 2000 with eyepiece. Pretty outstanding for them to beat the Leicas, etc.

I am leaning toward a Kowa spotting scope under 500. May be interested in their binoculars too.

Wondering how far away you could read a license plate or recognize a person with a 45X spotting scope? No, I don't have any "people problems."

I have a lightweight tripod and might have to buy a much more expensive one for best performance from scope.

Don McCullough
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Just spent a couple of hours at optics sites. Recommend www.binoculars.com Some great reviews there.

I'm thinking more and more about buying Canon Image Stablizing binoculars in the 375-595 price range. Reviewers say African guides asking to use their Canons ! Guess they are great for astronomy too eliminating need for tripod.
Last edited by getitdone1 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Another thing about high magnification scopes - Heat distortion can make high magnification useless. My Bausch and Lomb Discoverer goes up to 60 power, but for field use, the large size and weight make it clumsy to transport and use. With my Velbon heavy duty camera tripod for a steady mount and a 35 mm camera adapter, I have used this scope for photography at long ranges, but during warm Texas weather the heat distortion at high power makes long range use impractical. Viewing the night sky is not so bad, but without an automatic tracking mechanism, it is a lot of work - I recommend the Celestron compact telescopes for such star viewing.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
chuckles
Levergunner

Post by chuckles »

Look at the Konus brand also at optics planet. Jim Owens, (www.jarheadtop.com) rates them almost as good as the Kowas. The 80MM sells for about $225 now. I am going to order one. All the ratings i have seen say it is a great buy.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

For a knife sharpener to take hunting with you the Gerber steel is hard to beat. I looked at their website and see they have already stopped making them after bringing them back out. Here is one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Older-Gerber-5-Spor ... dZViewItem
cworetired
Levergunner

Post by cworetired »

marlinman93, with the Kowa scope you talk do you find it usefull at the range to see bullet holes at 100/200/300yards?
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

I have a friend who has a Kowa with the 80 mm lens and a 27 X long eye relief eyepiece. You can see 22 caliber bullet holes @ 200 yds with that scope. I am completely sold on Kowa optics, even the 50 mm scopes blow the competition away!

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

cworetired wrote:marlinman93, with the Kowa scope you talk do you find it usefull at the range to see bullet holes at 100/200/300yards?
I've got an older used Kowa that has the interchangeable eyepiece, so magnification is changed by changing the eyepieces. I have about 8 of them from 10x to 60x, and I rarely use anything over 40x. I can see even .22 caliber holes at 100 yds from my .22-250 just fine.
Higher magnification is often used to make up for poor optics. If the scope is good quality a 40x will do better than a 60x with poor lense quality.
I've also got an old 20x Kowa that is very compact, which I use for hunting. The quality is way better than my friend's inexpensive Bushnell 20x-60x spotting scope, and smaller too! I found it used at a gun show for $20 about 15 yrs ago.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/