What's The Least You'd Walk Around The Woods With?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

What's The Least You'd Walk Around The Woods With?

Post by Blaine »

Packing up for a day camp/BBQ in the Capital Forest. Lot's of bears and cat and some ornery folk. I'm taking my .357 Centennial with 158gr JHP and a full speed loader for my pocket and the Dirty Thirty to have handy close by...... I always have the .22 AirLite in the rig...... That's about as light as I would care to go around here.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: What's The Least You'd Walk Around The Woods With?

Post by Old Savage »

A pocket knife.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

22 mag
"That'll Be The Day"
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

45ACP and one extra magazine.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Although I don't stroll around the woods much, I'd have at least my 4" .357 loaded with 160 gr. FNRP over a bunch of WC820. Or if I was to pack on my hip, my Ruger SBH .44 Mag. stuffed with 265 gr. Ranchdog slugs on top of a medium load of WC820.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.45 Colt revolver of some version usually loaded with 9.0 Unique under a Keith SWC. A sheath knife and usually a folder as well. When I'm just hiking I don't like to carry a rifle if I don't have to.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

Leatherman tool, 4" S&W model 29 in Simply Rugged Pancake holster. Loaded with 250gr Keith SWC, 19grs 2400. No reason to lug a rifle around if I don't have to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

A .357 Mag snubby with 180 grian hard cast or XTP loads. Since I gave my SP101 to my daughter, it'd be a Dan Wesson snubby. I have a "man purse" - one of those OD Green military looking over the shoulder packs that I'd carry - has room for water bottle, camera, small flashlight, and this revolver with loose extra rounds.

I might also choose my S&W 696 44Spcl with 250 grian Keith boolits.

Regardless, it'd be a revolver so there would be no casings thrown about...

Nothing wrong with having a good carbine in the truck too.... a .357 mag or 44 Mag Marlin 94 is ideal - to share the same ammo as the revolver.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Around here I'd be fine with a 22 rimfire and a good blade of some sort.
NRA Life Member
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

been out with a 90lb pack, and with just what's in my pockets.

got along both ways.

ted nugent has a list, on line, of what he has in his pockets all
the time, interesting.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdoors ... 149&type=A

about half way down the page.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Almost every day I am in the woods. The least that goes with me is my 4 3/4" Ruger Flattop .44 on a 3" El Paso Saddlery that holds 12 rounds, a large folding hunting knive and an 1880 crossdraw holster.

Super comfortable.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

nude is out of the question, but maybe a camouflage thong :oops:

got to have a place to hook the clip on my Emerson folding knife :lol:
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The least I carry: When hiking the Appalacian Trail or woods around me is the Bond Derringer in .357. Snake shot and 180gr HP. I also have my leatherman and another knife with me. Carry the same when I am in the woods hunting with shotgun or rifle.

I could also carry my j-frame 3" in .357. If I was around bear, I would up the caliber to my colt saa in .44special in my simply rugged holster or my FA .475 in a cross draw. I have extra rounds on two speed strips.

I always have a pistol on me, and my leatherman and usually another knife.

If bears are a real problem, I guess I would keep out of the area as shooting one just cause would be hard to defend. When I'm hunting, I have a rifle or shotgun with me.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Around here bear encounters are rare enough, so the critters to be concerned with would be the fairly likely rabid coon or other smaller stuff. If the primary reason was a simple hike, or fly fishing some back country stream, then the funky, junky .22 taurus "tackle box gun" works.
Certified gun nut
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I never feel comfortable walking around with anything less than a 357 Mag, and it is usually the Super Blackhawk with either 44 Special factory loads or my 250 Keith load. My main concern almost anywhere in the US is feral Dogs or an aggressive Rott/Pitt that has decided that I am lower on the food chain. That or some bad dude that I happen to suprise coming around a corner. If I was in true survival mode than the Single Six would be welcome. I usually just carry a small knife and some water.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The least I'd go with would be my old Hi-standard .22 mag derringer. Of everything you mentioned the two legged snakes are the most dangerous IMHO.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

These day's

But for many years,

Older, smarter, and there are lots of areas where the yotes, lions and bears aren't hunted and have lost their fear of man. Not to mention that today, there seems to be more problem children about. :(
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

kel-tec .32, or .22 colt new frontier.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I don't cally my S&W M-640, .357 Mag an Always Gun without reason. it is always in a pocket.

In this area bear and big cats are almost as rare as an honest politician, so I don't feel to unarmed with nothing but my Always Gun in a pocket and a Ruger Single-Six on my belt. if it is warm enough for snakes to be out, the Single-Six might be supplemented with my old Charte Arms .44 Bulldog loaded with #* shot (dandy snake medecine) and often I'll take my old Marlin M-39 along if plinking is on the agenda.

If I even half suspect a possibility ot encountering pot farmers or meth cookers, I'll have either my S&W M-686 or the Uberti SAA in .44 S&W Spl on my belt rather than a .22.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I occasionally get a couple miles off the paved road to do some photography or just take a solitary walk.
I used to be comfortable with nothing more than a Ruger Single-Six, loaded with .22 RF magnums.
An encounter with feral dogs, several reports of bears in the area, and a significant increase in violent crime have changed my habits.
When I'm in a public park the .357 S&W M640 is easy to conceal and accurate enough at powder burn range.
Where open carry is not a significant issue, a .44 or .45 Ruger single action is more comforting.
I still carry it under a shirt or jacket and pack 10 extra rounds in my pocket.

Jack
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

Does anyone really have to ask?

SP101. 2 Federal 180sjhp up, followed by 3 BB eq 180 solids.

Add 2 speed strips of 158gr HP pure lead subsonics, another of 180s, plus 36 more rounds in speed strips in the pack, and I'm relatively confident even with Lower48 bears out to resonable distances...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Depends on the woods, and whether I expected two-legged or four-legged problems, and whether it needed to be concealed or not.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

my SW 429 classic 44mag is always with me in the woods....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Savage wrote:A pocket knife.
+1
and maybe a walking stick to go with it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

My best outdoor activity is rideing the trails with my quad. We are retired in southern utah, probley the best place in the united states to ride a ATV. We are always going on new trails far in the boonies. Our two seat quad is a 650 bombardier that is big enough to carry anything. I also have a ccw, or can open carry here, so I am not limited. Although I can open carry, anytime I am around people I am more apt to carry concealed. I just dont like to advertise. I carried 35 years on the job, and am long beyound trying to impress the kids. Handguns are a passion of mine and I have a huge collection with all imangeable bases covered. Still, many times I carry a lowly old S&W M&P .38 special probley the most. Many years ago I worked for the national park service in the grand tetons, yosemite, and also the conservation dept in wisconsin. We worked far from roads and never packed in those days, never thought or worried about it. Now it seems on these gun sites people are always asking what to carry for bear etc. I have ran across many weird types far out in the boonies, and really I pack more from that standpoint than worrying about any critters. Maybe I dont like packing my rare exspendsive hardware to get super dusty on the trails.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I pack 90% of the time that I'm in the woods, even cutting firewood. Mainly for yotes and skunks. I pack a Ruger single six in 32 H&R mag or my Marlin 39 has been replaced with the 94 in 32-20 lately. It was cold and windy today , looking at the tree damage of the last snow storm. I did bust a couple of deer out of the brush. Two bald eagles were eating a coon at the edge of the woods.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I have both a Ruger Birds Head Vaquero in 45 Colt with a 3.75" barrel loaded with 260 gr Northfork cup point all copper solids and a Springfield Armory Milspec in 45 ACP loaded with 230 gr truncated cone lead bullets. They are about the same size but the Ruger is more bulky due to the cylinder. It is obviously more powerful. It depends on what I expect along the trail. Where 2 legged vermin is more of a concern the 1911 gets the nod. In more remote locations the Ruger gets the nod. I live in CA and with so many people being spooked at the sight of a gun I usually keep it covered up with a vest or oversized shirt not tucked in. Occassionally I will forget I have the gun on my belt and will let the vest or shirt flop open because I am hot. If spotted by non gun people the single action raises less eyebrows than the 1911. I have found that for some reason a "cowboy gun" is less threatening to non gun people. Some are actually intrigued and want a closer look at the "cowboy gun". I have even unloaded it and let people handle it. Anything to make firearms more acceptable by the general public is a good thing. I try to be a good ambassador of the shooting fraternity when I come into contact with people in camping/hiking situations.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It totally depends on what "woods" you're talking about...!

Some of the inner-city so-called "parks" I've been in, I'd want a folding stock AK in my hands, and my Guide Gun slung as backup for heavy targets, with maybe a couple 1911's in shoulder rigs on top of a Kevlar body suit.

Now if you're talking the kind of "woods" where the predators have four legs or slither or fly, my little 2" taurus .22LR revolver is fine. Of course we don't have bears or cougars, so the nastiest thing we get is feral dogs or maybe coyotes, and 9 shots of .22 LR would get the survivors running.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

MY woods.....624-3 or FA 97, both heavy loaded 44 Sp.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

South-central Arizona "woods" (desert lowlands through chapparal highlands); If literally trailing, 3" Smith 65 loaded first chamber or two with snake shot 1/2 the year; the rest with "warmish" 158 grs. If sedentary camp, I might bring along the NV or Montado loaded with same, "just because" and to let it get out 'n about. If trailing in high country/real woods, USFA 4-3/4 .44 Special with some nice 240s, or if just camped, the Vaquero in .44 Mag, especially around where bears are known to be sniffing around for food at night. Also, 92 levers in either of these calibers, respectively, in camp/truck as companeros. To the poster who shied from autos on the trail for pc reasons, I hear you (witness our 10mm/courtcase fiasco from said high country that made national news) and perhaps why--at least semi unconsciously--the .40 doesn't get carried more often, despite its slimmer profile.
Last edited by gak on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

$20
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Depends what woods and what time of day.Still sometimes even knowing there are large black bear around I dont carry a gun.(I have this,its my land pride thing and I think because I am a big guy with a big stick the bear will just run.I know that is kind of stupid! Anyway,when I dont have a gun,I do try to a least stick my Buck general on my belt.(or grab a oak branch)but usually if I plan to go back say a mile or more I like to take a 12ga.I play it by ear.So if I am going to take the effort to carry a gun,the least would be a 12ga.(Winchester 37)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have worked up the courage to go with the Benjamin Sheridan .22 airgun and K-Bar on my belt. I think I have all the K-Bars now, it's kind of fun to pick one.

I like to have at least a .30-30 if I go two miles in or more. Seeing big piles of bear scat will do that to you. I hear that mountain lions are more likely to attack than bears, but for some reason they don't worry me as much.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

K-bar sheath knife and a stout walking stick. The knife is bigger than needed really, but it's stong and can be used hard with no concern about damaging it. The stick is mostly for my bum knees. This place just isn't wild enough to be concerned about what lives here and I refuse to worry about what other people might do. Since coyotes are open game year round it is a good excuse to carry my Marlin 22mag rifle though.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

Boots and Boxers
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

El Chivo, Given where you live guy.Honestly thats a totally diffrent deal.I would have a firearm absolutely hiking in the woods.Heck just while we were there hiking Mt.Baldy we say a Big Lion,also hiking in the San Bernidino Hills not far from houses either(I saw these awesome hills)asked these very nice group of mexican people if we could hike those hills and they said sure use our driveway.(nice people)Went about 1.5 miles and saw the rear end (and long tail)scooting out of sight.There were tracks everywhere at both places.The Fireman working at Mt.Baldy told us to be very careful and especially have myself stay close to both of my wife/daughter because they are pretty small(I am six four/235lbs)If I could not have at least somthing like a .357 mag I would have a shortened 12ga to minimum legal limits even a Single shot with 00buck.I am MUCH more fearful of a big cat than the normal black bear.With a big cat chances are its on you like right now!

Also look at what has come back to Ca. :) Any 40lb critter that can drag a deer 20 miles(I want a gun)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... QzdtzUQe7s
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

As has been stated many times in this thread, it depends on what woods I'm entering. I'm always armed and I'am very comfortable packing a sidearm, whether it's the concrete jungle or the woods. 1911 concrete jungle, in the woods nothing less than my Colt SAA in 45 Colt. If needed my FA 83 in 454 Casull and one of my rifles. If backpacking it's my S&W 638 in 357 w/Federal Hydrashoks.
Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

El Chivo wrote:I have worked up the courage to go with the Benjamin Sheridan .22 airgun and K-Bar on my belt. I think I have all the K-Bars now, it's kind of fun to pick one.

I like to have at least a .30-30 if I go two miles in or more. Seeing big piles of bear scat will do that to you. I hear that mountain lions are more likely to attack than bears, but for some reason they don't worry me as much.
Just where are you seeing all these big piles of bear scat in SOCAL???

You should worry about the mountain lions much more than any bear. You'll hear a bear but more than likely will not hear the mountain lion before it swats you a good one. Mountain lions are a dime a dozen all over CA these days. Bears -- not so much.
ED
Yer never too old
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

depends on the time of year... but a 357 Cimmeron Colt clone travels out back on the ranch property much of the time.

22 (SW 18) is a close second. When thats on the belt a Marlin carbine( 357) or a 30-30 is on the horse or in the truck anyway
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Lightest walking around would be a 29 3 inch smith and wesson in 44 mag. If there are 'bear problems' there is probably going to be a 45/70 or 338wm rifle in the vehicle with chamber empty and magazine loaded when it was parked. The rifle would go to the tent at night.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Minimum?

.45 Colt SAA and a Cold Steel Master Hunter.

Some times of the year, 2-legged varmints are more of a problem than the other big, hairy, smelly varieties...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I am MUCH more fearful of a big cat than the normal black bear.With a big cat chances are its on you like right now!
that's why I want a knife, there's a good chance I'd never get a shot off, but if one leaps on me and I'm wearing a pack I might get a my knife out. Who knows.

I've heard about two incidents of them running down bicyclists, probably thinking they were deer as they glide along.

By saying I don't fear them as much, that's a visceral thing, not a common sense decision. I realize they are more common and likely to attack.

Ed, bear scat I found twice, one pile about 1/2 mile from Lake Hughes road near Warm Springs, Castaic Lake, and another pile on higher ground another half mile in. Yipes!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

In my humble opinion, carry the largest gun you have and are comfortable with. My choice is a SMith and Wesson 1911 4 inch (commander size) with 4 hardball staggered with 4 200 gr XTP's. If I can't fix the problem with that combo, I'll just whimper quietly while I get eaten.............
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Around Northern California, I usually pack my .22 Single Six. Nothing more is really needed. Bears and cats will run away long before you can see them. It's more for fun plinking than for SD.

In Alaska though, I pack the .44 Blackhawk with Cor-Bon loads when on foot. No messing around up there. Or if we're on the ATVs, the 30-06 is in the scabbard.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
fred45
Levergunner

Post by fred45 »

lived in Nother CA and now in SW MO, I have few handguns to choose from and have carried most but the one that keeps going to the top of the pile is an old Colt Police Positive .38 4". lend lease or something from the Colombian police. it is light smooth and it always goes bang. with the fixed sights I hit what I point at. I got laughed at a lot at the CA required handgun saftey class I took about 20 years ago, until I put 18 in the X and 10 ring. :D
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I've walked about in the Michigan woods with nothing more than a good walking stick and felt secure enough. But generally I carry a stout knife (a Puukko).

When I carry a sidearm (which is often) I prefer my S&W model 36 that I put a 3" barrel on or my USFA Sheriff's model in 45LC. Both are a great carry size for me.

When I go to the Upper Pennisula of Michigan in the late summer to fish and pick blueberrys the bears are getting active and I will often carry a long gun (Russian made 12 gauge SXS coach gun or one of my lever action carbines) and maybe a Single Six or BearCat for some pine cone plinking.

Wm
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Dave B wrote:45ACP and one extra magazine.
+1

a day in the woods without Mr. Browning?

what were you thinking?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

:lol: Pharmseller - Tell me where you going to spend that $20 walking around in the woods?? :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

The least I would take is my .357 mag S&W 28.

or the usuall woods gun my S&W 629. .44 mag. especially if we are taking bears.

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

My S&W 637 (Airweight, 38+, 1-7/8") is my answer. 158 gr. hps. Back pocket, front pocket...doesn't matter. It's light, compact, and there.

I've been all over Nevada and California for 25 years, and I've seen one bear (running away) and zero lions. I had a horse spook out from under me once and thought I heard a low growl right before it happened. That's about as close to a lion as I guess I've been, and that could have been a bobcat, woverine, badger, who knows?

It used to be a 22 was fine, but now that I spend a lot of time within a few miles of the Mexico border, the upgrade to 38, as a minimum, was warranted. About half the time I have a 329PD 44 mag or a USP40 on my hip.
Chad