FRESH LIVER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

FRESH LIVER

Post by gimdandy »

Cooked dinner for the wife and I tonight, last half of elk liver. First half didn't make it down the mountain.
My third most fav. meal is beef liver, #2; venison liver #1 is and will always be elk liver.I'm stuffed and very happy about it :D
And just so's its officially on topic my elk gun is and has been for quite a few years my model 375 Marlin in of course .375
Really not sure why I own any other rifle other than my 375 and my 219 Zipper (what a logical , rational sentence!!!!! But I had to put something in my safes ...............and the trac hoe just wouldn't fit
anyway I just slice , roll in ww flour and fry in cast frypan w/ oil , in the bbq . Tried it many ways , and liked them all but this is very simple and the best
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: FRESH LIVER

Post by KirkD »

I like lots of fried onions to go with it. Last year, at the end of the day when I had bagged two bucks, my friend who is a culinary wonder worker, friend up the fresh liver. Wooeeee! Was that good. I ate like a hog gone berserk.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Congradulations on the fresh liver! I love it myself, fried with onioins.

And I feel the same way about my .44's and 38-55 as you do about your 375 and 219 :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Coincidentally, I had elk liver and onions for lunch today!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Nothing better than a big mess of liver and onions where ever it comes from, deer, beef, hog whatever.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

You know, this really tells the background of the people who post here. Most city folks turn up their noses at Liver. Not us...we eat liver with mushrooms, onions, smothered in gravy, or cold leftover. My kids kick their heels together when I announce a skillet of liver (or livers as in chicken). I eat it for breakfast even. Not much liver goes to waste around here...but I'm sorry to say...the heart usually goes to waste unless I'm making scrapple.

Years ago, I plied my trade as a short order cook for a savvy old woman in her family diner (college days). She once told me the key to great liver was slicing it thin. Freeze it, then let it get half thawed and slice it thin. It makes it more tender, but is easy to over cook also. So be cautious with the heat. I slice my own because of that. And yes...Elk liver is by far the best IMO.

Ed
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Maybe I'm the only redneck who don't like liver, but liver is only fit for catfish bait, and I can't for the life of me understand why a catfish would eat that nasty trash.......Now, hearts, or gizzards almost anything else is ok.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Fresh, still warm liver. I do it about once a month. Fry up a half pound of milk fed ranch raised bacon. Fry up a few extra large sweet onions in the grease and remove. Flour the liver and toss in the bacon grease, cook rare. Serve liver, bacon, onions all piled up on mashed taters,.......hmmmmmm hmmmmmmm good!!!! 8)
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Using good, hot cast iron skillet, fry liver in bacon grease with large quantity of onions. When onions are cooked, fish out liver, throw it away, and eat the onions! :lol:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good shooting on the elk. Cattle liver fried well done with onions I can eat but I stop there. danny
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I don't eat ofal!
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I had elk liver night before last and I must say it was very good!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

A real treat is a young antelope's liver, wow, fresh with thick sliced maple cured bacon and onions, yummy!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Uh oooo I agree with Blaine G. Liver is nasty stuff now Mommas fried chicken hearts and gizzards now thats eatin. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

gimdandy,
I love calf liver fried with onions, but my only attempt with deer liver was a disaster, so I gave it up.
Can you tell me how you handle the liver from the time you field dress the deer until you cook it? Maybe I just did not process it correctly.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Lots of onions!!!!

The hot black skillet is key.

On another note, I had a batch of buffalo ribs on sunday, done in the slow cooker. I was a might disappointed actually. Had a taste of vinegar? and I'm not a huge fan of vinegar. Not sure what happened. I'm thinking the little bit of fat had gone bad while in the freezer this past year (It takes a while to eat a whole buffalo and a nilgai, and a hog, and a yak) though the yak and hog are gone and most of the buff is too). Anyway, all this talk of vittles has my mouth watering so early in the day.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Hey, I was born/raised in NYC - but keep a Coleman 2-burner stove, a frying pan, some onions & lard, so's any downed deer can be celebrated with a liver 'n onions lunch, right off the tailgate !

Rain/snow or shine - there's not a much finer meal, taken with friends and/or family, IMHO. ('cept, maybe, Thanksgiving dinner. ;) )

deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

BlaineG wrote:Maybe I'm the only redneck who don't like liver, but liver is only fit for catfish bait.
+1

I think it's great that you guys can eat that stuff, but I spent too many summers in my youth putting that stuff on a hook that just the smell of it turns me off.

You guys should start a club or something and make some t-shirts, "We eat the gut-pile"!

:wink: :wink:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Liver and onions friend in bacon grease! My mouth is watering just to read this stuff!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I haven't had liver and onions since I left home 48 years ago. My Mom, who was an Okie, made liver and onions with fried potatos and pan gravy. I haven't dared try any restaurant cooked liver!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

For those of you that think game (deer, elk, moose) liver is too strong, soak the liver in milk overnight. It does away with the strong taste.

Fried liver (medium) in bacon grease with onions, collard greens, blackeyed peas, and corn bread or garlic bread washed down with butter milk -- hard to beat.
ED
Yer never too old
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Well I sure am glad all the wimps in the world stay in the cities. And I sure am glad all my fellow gunnies carry on the tradition of using what the good Lord provided us, in the most respectful manner we can. Liver is a treat to eat and as simple to prepare as can be had!

Head Cheese, made from brains, eyeballs and tongue and other extras was a delicacy when I was a kid. Tongue alone,... the original cold cut sliced sandwich meat went on many a jaunt to the back country with me. Stomach lining aka tripe soup warmed me on more than one cold afternoon coming in from a teenage hunt in snow. Kidney stew in a white gravy with leaks, onions and potatoes was a whole lot of work for my mom to prepare,... but we used what was given us and enjoyed it with proper thanks to he who gave it to us.

Some people have no clue what it means to live off the Lords bounty in a proper and respectful manner. And although their mind make crippled wimps of them, I'm afraid the day when using everything an animal provides when we harvest it may return sooner than some think,.... right down to the hide, and hoof
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

CRS,
Years ago a hunting pard had told me that if you leave the liver 24 hours in the creek it tastes better and not believing that it could taste ANY better we did an experiment , first elk that year we had a little bit of it (and something else ) first night and threw it in the creek. Next night we fried it up same way w/ onions , same cast iron skillit.................................and you know what HE WAS RIGHT!!! So that was that and from that day to this I've never et any w/o letting it sit over night in the creek.
Now depending on the creek flow , but you have to have a good rock pool built and brush it up good , this is in the high country of Idaho and camp critters aren't much of a problem as far back in and up that we pack in but we did loose one liver a few years back but felt like it was our fault as it was in the so. fork of the Payette river and snowed real hard that night and next day. Yup river rose a lot and cost us liver that next night and believe me when I say that that will never happen again
Another thing in your answer CRS I really think is important , and it goes with everything I cook , I use well seasoned cast iron , at home and on every pack trip. Most everyone here will agree on this that have used dutch ovens I'm sure. Cept Deerwhacker and BlaineG , in reading them I'm perty sure someone slipped them some shinola and they didn't know the difference :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: really deerwhacker "we eat gut pile " and Blaine "only fit for catfish bait "that was uncalled for :lol: :lol: :lol:Shasta your snide remarks didn't go unnoticed either
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

rjohns, for bovine ribs season add some onion and boil them first that will carry off the rank flavor you experienced then when done remove and throw on the BBQ with your favorite sauce give them 15 mins give or take to crisp. danny
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Well, Blaine took a good shot at the subject, butt I'll cut to the chase, and get right to the heart of the matter. At the risk of jumping out of the pan and into the fire....EWWW, LIVER---YUCK!!!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

gimdandy - thanks for the creek story. I may not have got enough blood out of the liver because I just let it soak over night in a pan of salt water, not in a flowing creek. If I try it again, I will have to locate a flowing creek without any coons, coyotes, buzzards, skunks, otter, snakes, gators or such around. That does not sound much like Texas, does it? :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

LIVER AIN'T "GUTS..."

Like as has been said -- slice thin; HOT skillet; (bread or not) SEAR on both sides; EAT...

Bacon grease & a pile of sweet fried onions round out the recipe.

I'll bet those blue-noses eat pigs' feet., and worse...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gimdandy wrote:Really not sure why I own any other rifle other than my 375 and my 219 Zipper (what a logical , rational sentence!!!!! But I had to put something in my safes ...............and the trac hoe just wouldn't fit.
I like that philosophy...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Buck Elliott wrote:LIVER AIN'T "GUTS..."

Like as has been said -- slice thin; HOT skillet; (bread or not) SEAR on both sides; EAT...

I wonder how many liver haters eat "worse" like a,... hotdog,.... with everything scrapped off the slaughter house floor in it that didn't stick to the gutter's rubber boots!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

76/444 wrote:

I wonder how many liver haters eat "worse" like a,... hotdog,.... with everything scrapped off the slaughter house floor in it that didn't stick to the gutter's rubber boots!
Clearly, the liver worms have invaded your brain and affected your common sense.......Prolly have strange ideas about reloading .444 shells, too :P :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:
76/444 wrote:

Clearly, the liver worms have invaded your brain and affected your common sense.......Prolly have strange ideas about reloading .444 shells, too :P :P

Are you trying to attack me, personally?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

76/444 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
76/444 wrote:

Are you trying to attack me, personally?
Ummm....this whole thread is tongue in cheek :roll: Grow some thicker hide, Nancy :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

[/quote]

Clearly, the liver worms have invaded your brain and affected your common sense.......Prolly have strange ideas about reloading .444 shells, too :P :P[/quote]

Are you trying to attack me, personally?[/quote]

Ummm....this whole thread is tongue in cheek :roll: Grow some thicker hide, Nancy :P[/quote]

You may be use to guys putting up with your snot nosed remarks over the internet,... but I would rather you left me out of your little club. It's not tongue and cheek to me, if you don't mind, and I don't like personal attacks and especially your tone. This isn't the first time. But I am sure you will get away with it, again. :P :P
Last edited by 76/444 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Well,..Maybe if you put enough Ketchup on it to kill the taste..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

76/444 wrote:
Clearly, the liver worms have invaded your brain and affected your common sense.......Prolly have strange ideas about reloading .444 shells, too :P :P[/quote]

Ummm....this whole thread is tongue in cheek :roll: Grow some thicker hide, Nancy :P[/quote]

You may be use to guys putting up with your snot nosed remarks over the internet,... but I would rather you left me out of your little club. It's not tongue and cheek to me, if you don't mind, and I don't like personal attacks and especially your tone. This isn't the first time. But I am sure you will get away with it, again. :P :P[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Better go smack your MaMa for dropping you on your head, Boy :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

He may feel like you're a meathead, and have a blackened sole, but I understand you were just ribbing him! :shock: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

slimster wrote:He may feel like you're a meathead, and have a blackened sole, but I understand you were just ribbing him! :shock: :lol:
I'm pretty sure it's time to liver alone.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Well, tripe or not, you had to stomach quite a tongue lashing. I thought the fur wold fly. I would have had to run and hide!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:
76/444 wrote:

You may be use to guys putting up with your snot nosed remarks over the internet,... but I would rather you left me out of your little club. It's not tongue and cheek to me, if you don't mind, and I don't like personal attacks and especially your tone. This isn't the first time. But I am sure you will get away with it, again. :P :P[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Better go smack your MaMa for dropping you on your head, Boy :wink:[/quote]

First off my mother is dead. Second my daddy knew better than to call me boy, after I turned 13 yrs old. You may think you have a large pair sitting up in Washington state, but your just a snot nose punk for such remarks. :lol: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:Maybe I'm the only redneck who don't like liver, but liver is only fit for catfish bait, and I can't for the life of me understand why a catfish would eat that nasty trash.......Now, hearts, or gizzards almost anything else is ok.

Catfish eat it because they can't get in the corral to eat the Rocky Mountain Oysters :!:

Funny, I never used to like liver the way mama cooked it - like leather - the way her mama did. I like it cooked with veggies and simmered slow. But, I can't eat calf fries, just for the sake of empathy for my fellow male creatures....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

like Charles and BlaineG , I cant stand even the smell of it cooking.
That said, I have many friends who just love
it. Kinda like Joe and modern guns!!
If you like it, more power to you! Enjoy!! :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:like Charles and BlaineG , I cant stand even the smell of it cooking.
That said, I have many friends who just love
it. Kinda like Joe and modern guns!!
If you like it, more power to you! Enjoy!! :D
Ah, a voice of reason. Wrong :P but reasoned...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Shasta wrote:Using good, hot cast iron skillet, fry liver in bacon grease with large quantity of onions. When onions are cooked, fish out liver, throw it away, and eat the onions! :lol:

SHASTA
+1!!
:lol: :lol:
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Liver: (li-vər)
1. Where toxins are filtered and urea is manufactured.

Bon ape tit! :D

Actually, I don't mind the taste. It's the thought that bothers me. I would much rather have fried chitlin's with slices of raw onion, and do from time to time. :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Toxins?

Yes,....Toxins in store bought liver. From animals fed and inoculated with all kinds of stuff to meet FDA standards for locked up creatures sold to the meat buying public,... are a HUGE problem. Ask any beef rancher how many shots are given every steer going to sale, to meet legal requirements.

But, those ,... Toxins,.... are in the entire body of those animals. If anyone thinks they are avoiding ,...Toxins,... by buying fillet mignon, or a nice big porter house to throw on the bar-b,.... you better think again!!! And not just beef either !!! You don't even want to know how chickens are processed !!!

Unless the Creator supplied natural food for us carnivores, lives in a man adulterated noxious environment,.... toxins are my last worry. But, then again,.... I have not fed myself meat out of a food store for decades and never think much about them anyway! 8)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

76/444 wrote:Toxins?

Yes,....Toxins in store bought liver. From animals fed and inoculated with all kinds of stuff to meet FDA standards for locked up creatures sold to the meat buying public,... are a HUGE problem. Ask any beef rancher how many shots are given every steer going to sale, to meet legal requirements.

But, those ,... Toxins,.... are in the entire body of those animals. If anyone thinks they are avoiding ,...Toxins,... by buying fillet mignon, or a nice big porter house to throw on the bar-b,.... you better think again!!! And not just beef either !!! You don't even want to know how chickens are processed !!!

Unless the Creator supplied natural food for us carnivores, lives in a man adulterated noxious environment,.... toxins are my last worry. But, then again,.... I have not fed myself meat out of a food store for decades and never think much about them anyway! 8)
Doesn't it occur to you that some people just don't like that stuff? :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I have debated posting on this topic but here goes: February 22, 1995 I went to my mom and dad's for lunch. Moma had cooked fried liver and onions in a thick gravy that only she could make. A big ole hot skillet of cornbread and some ice tea completed our lunch....my favorite meal.....only moma could cook it like this and it was always great....add to the fact that she and I were the only family members that would eat it....daddy had brisket and...? Well I spent about an hour eating and visiting and then headed to DFW for work. Moma cleaned up and headed to the beauty shop to get her hair done and daddy fired up the Troy built tiller and worked over his 1/2 acre garden. I got 90 miles down the road and the shop called to let me know that moma had been in an auto accident.....I turned around and headed home....couldn't get my dad or wife or brother on the phone. In alittle bit a co-worker called and I knew moma was gone from his voice....to his credit he and another co-worked meet me and one drove me back while the other followed in my truck....moma never knew what hit her so she didn't suffer.......lost daddy 13 months later to the day....cancer and a broken heart got him...I did not eat fried liver and onions for ten years....moma's baby sister finally cooked some and it was just like moma's.....guys my eyes are cloudy now so.....

jumbeaux
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

BlaineG wrote:Doesn't it occur to you that some people just don't like that stuff? :roll:
I know what ya mean Blaine. I LOVE liver but can't stand Tomato Aspic (jelled soup) or Waldorf Salad (combo of nuts, lettuce, mayonaise -- YUK --.
ED
Yer never too old
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Kansas Ed,
since I (and Charles too but wouldn't admit it :lol: ) love heart , tell me what scrapple is.I asked around but nobody I asked has heard of it.