Who needs the .44's anyway?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Why isn't the .44 caliber obsolete already? Don't people know you can get the same weight bullet as fast or faster, and with less pressure in the 45 Colt? The 44 Magnum is a big boomer with little to show for all that noise and the 44 Special is just too slow to get any of the mainstream bullets to expand reliably. The 45 Colt is a sister cartridge to the 45 Cowboy, 454 Cassull and 460 S&W. All of these will out-perform any of the 44's including the 460 rubbing elbows with the 444 Marlin. The difference being the 444 usually has to shoot those pistol bullets that don't work too good at fast speed. Oh and the 45 Colt can be had in vintage and modern single actions, concealed carry guns like the Taurus 450, and Rossi (2" bbl-5 Shots) all the way up to the S&W X-Frame 6 shot. The only concealable 44 is the hard-to-get-to-work-properly Charter Arms Bulldog. In a lever rifle the 45 Colt really shines by pushing a heavy bullet, even 335 grain and if the rifle can handle a little length, up to a 400 gr bullet. The 44 only wishes it could exceed 330 grains without issues and then only with a pile of pressure. The 45 Colt can be used with such obscurities as wax bullets that are primer powered for indoor range shooting, lead cowboy loads and on up to premium bullets, even the Punch solid for the largest game. There are conversion sleeves available to shoot .22 rimfire in your 45 Colt family pistol but I haven't seen such a useful item for the .44's. So who needs the .44 calibers anyway.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
348WCF
Levergunner

Re: Who needs the .44's anyway?

Post by 348WCF »

Oh boy, this should be interesting!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Well I diagree. The .45 colt has been around along time, and if it was the end all cartridge there would not have been a need for anything else. I will agree the that .45 colt has great potential, but you must reload to get there. Elmer Keith was a fan of the .45 colt but he pushed for the "improved" :twisted: .44 mag.

Personnaly I like the .44 mag. High powered ammo is available off the shelf and and great to reload. Bottom line it gets the job done! The .44 mag is about all the recoil I want in a handgun, and I can get back on target fast for the second shot. When the .45 colt is redesigned like the .45 Cassull ,and the .460, recoil is unmanageable in my view.

The .300 Remington Mag. is a great round so why would anyone want anything else. But....
the .30-06 is still around and I'll stick with it.

Just my $.02
Last edited by Pathfinder09 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

44 Special is the perfect round for it's power level. Might want to read Skeeter. 44 Mag, yes power off the shelf and you don't have to be concerned about blowing anything up if you get the loads mixed up. 45 Colt - moderate power in factory which can be good and power if you reload. I have all three and think they have their place. And why aren't the 44s gone - cause lots of people buy them. Not many people in that crowd are needing the 44 mag+ level of power in a handgun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Hmm. Who needs the .44? Well, my elk count is at 19 bull elk taken with .44's in both rifle and pistol versions, but mostly pistols, with jacketed and cast bullet from 240grs to 330grs. I've taken a boxcar (or more) full of bucks with .44's. That doesn't include all the small game I've taken with a .44. I've fed myself on the trail for weeks at a time with the .44.

Who needs the .44's? ME! You know what 2x22 equals, don't you? :lol:

A better question would be, with the introduction of all the .50's out there, who needs the .45? :twisted:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Like PAthfinder said, for people who dont reload, high power .44 Mag loads are commonly available and high power .45 loads are not. (except for Buffalo Bore at 80$ a box :shock: )

This is the only advantage i can visualize, but .44's will never go the way of the super short magnums. They will be with us forever.

I reload for more cartridges than i can keep up with already. I have an 1894 Marlin, but i dont re-load .44's and dont really plan to if i can help it --- i dont shoot it much and i can get great ammo for it off the shelf :)
Last edited by Streetstar on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like the .44s (actually .429-.430s) AND the .45s. I think the story of how each came about is fascinating. Short (perhaps oversimplified) story is that both were developed from the cap-n-ball revolvers with their .45 bores but the .44s (like the American/Russian/Special/Magnum) developed from the conversion cases as ammunition developed and the .45s were the result of working with the barrels/bores. Now we have something to kvetch about...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hey Joe, first you slam the 30WCF, now the .44s ..... things must be slow in Texas, huh? How about this, instead of stirring up old conflicts go to Hawaii, look up Ganjiro and go spear fishing with him.
Then write us a good report. That would be a lot more interesting than these kinds of threads.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

[ NEVER MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YORE BIG MOUTH SHUT, MURBOSKE..]
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

If ya reload, ya don't need a .44 I sold my .44 special revolver and haven't shot my .44 Marlin in several years.

If stuck with big name factory fodder, .44 rules. It was then and is now a concession to the stupidity of folks who might blow their old guns up if they put hot .45s in em. Instead of making new strong guns for hotrodded .45s, which was certainly possible, as Ruger showed em, they made a whole new class of guns.....

We don't seem to have that trouble with .45-70, three levels of guns and loads......
Certified gun nut
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Terry Murbach wrote:[ NEVER MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YORE BIG MOUTH SHUT, MURBOSKE..]
Should I learn something from your self-control? :lol: Yeah, I had to comment. :roll: :lol: I think I've pretty much got it right, what we see today is the result to this point of two different evolutions of the same guns...

BTW, Joe, I like your recent posts. They've certainly stirred the pot! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:?: Tonque in cheek :?: Or trollin :?: :roll:
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Stirring up the troops again ? :wink:
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

NEED? not me. LIKE? very definately. My colt in .44 special is ..... well ...... SPECIAL. Like has been said, perfect for its use. The .45 colt certainly has its merits. I don't own one anymore, but it certainly has its merits. Off the shelf ammo for the .44 has the .45colt beat all the way to tomorrow. For me, I skip both for serious work and go from .357 to 45-70. that way, i can avoid all the internal conflict this question begs. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

oh really?

my redhawk load is a 405g hard cast bullet at 947 fps that recoils about like a 44 spcl and penetrates like a 45/70/405...

where's the .45 colt that duplicates that load, mmmmm mm mm

;) Grizz
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

We have a lot of people in influential places that are convinced we don't need any firearm, no matter what is.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dusty old 45s, like dusty old Professional Hunters, should just stick to mendin' fence and let the young, whippersnapper .44s do the hard work :P :P :lol:

(Pay no attention to that .45 on my page 8) )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

You are techinaly right, yet you didnt point out the timeline and guns available. You could not safely hop up the colt single action army in 45 colt to the level of a handloaded .44 special. The thinnest of the clyinder walls were the problem. Then Ruger came out with the blackhawk that was built heavier than the colt. Of course in .44 mag first and much later made it available in .45 colt. Yes, that gun, had it come out 1st in .45 colt instead of .44 mag, would have made your argument more valid. Remember the story why and how ruger came out with the mag beating S&W to the punch was someone found fired .44 mag cases at the dump that smith had been experimenting with and they got to Bill Ruger. Linbaugh likes the .45 colt in the S&W 25-5 for your same reasons, and I bet you got your argument from him. Yet, I also belive I read him also somewhere saying something about the combo not really being better than .44 mag, just that with his non factory available loads he had as good sucess and enjoyed shooting and hunting with the gun probley more as a feat of showing it could be done. Remember, you cant buy his load made as factory, however I concede the same is true with hot .44 special.
I love the lighter weight .44 specials in S&W and colt SAAs. In smith it is due to the "pencil" barrel. Yes, later they did come out with the pencil barrel mountain guns, but that was after I got my 4 S&W .44 specials and my two colt single actions also in .44 special. I do also own a 25-5 (due to lingaugh articles), and a colt SAA in .45 colt. I am NOT going to load up that colt in .45 as hot as my .44 special loads.
You are right in much of what you say, however, it does take in account my "sweetheart" lighter weight guns. Its not just about the caliber or power of it, but as much as the guns that we like packing for the calibers available.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I need the 44's. I dont own any 45's.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

ANYONE THAT DOES NOT LIKE THEIR 44....
PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME! :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Hey Rickey,
Sounds like someone's gotten into the Linebaugh papers. Kinda like when you're 11 or 12 and its the first time you ever saw a playboy. Whoo boy!

Next thing you know he'll sneakin' a whiff or two of 296 when he thinks no-ones lookin', hangin' up his levers, and ordering a 5-shot Bisley.

Walkin' around with soot on his face, only its not soot, its the un-burned 296 granules that blew back cuz' he's not running 'nuff pressure.

Fireballs big 'nuff to make the devil hizzelf stand up and take notice.

Recoil pain like catchin' a line drive without a glove.

OH YEAH!

-Brian

P.S. Sweat dries, Blood clots, Chics dig scars.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

RIHMFIRE wrote:ANYONE THAT DOES NOT LIKE THEIR 44....
I'm with Rihmfire...

Except I'll just take the reloading components. Got plenty of the guns to shoot them in.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3 thoughts come immediately to mind, 2 of which are well expressed in pictures!
1 - It ain't heresy till it's your ox to be sacrificed!

2 -

3 -
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Never mind what I said before, this one's turning out to be a hoot!

:) :P :D :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Heck, I don't need a .44. I don't even want one. I go straight from a .357M Ruger to rifles and shotguns! Why even mess with anything in between? :twisted: LOL

LK
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

BrianSH wrote:Hey Rickey,
Sounds like someone's gotten into the Linebaugh papers. Kinda like when you're 11 or 12 and its the first time you ever saw a playboy. Whoo boy!

Next thing you know he'll sneakin' a whiff or two of 296 when he thinks no-ones lookin', hangin' up his levers, and ordering a 5-shot Bisley.

Walkin' around with soot on his face, only its not soot, its the un-burned 296 granules that blew back cuz' he's not running 'nuff pressure.

Fireballs big 'nuff to make the devil hizzelf stand up and take notice.

Recoil pain like catchin' a line drive without a glove.

OH YEAH!

-Brian

P.S. Sweat dries, Blood clots, Chics dig scars.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I saying out of this, I've never owned a 44 anything. But you know........ I have a few hundred rounds of 44 mag brass laying around that need a gun to be shot out of.
Ricky

DWWC
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Perhaps you should use the old French and Dutch proverb for your "Signature" -
"The more you stir it, the more it stinks."

However, I agree with you. I've had a .44 Magnum Taurus for 6 years, and it hasn't bagged any game at all!
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I've got a couple 44 Magnums and 45 Colts just to avoid these types of arguments. When I'm pushing poop with the gray stubble guys I tout the 45 Colt and all its virtues and superiority's. When hanging with the not as gray bunch I hang my hat on the 44 Magnums proven record. And when I go hunting I grab whatever I've got ammo for, because the dirty little secret is this; if you hit it right with the right bullet it's going to die just as dead with either load. Eeny meany miney mo...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Idiot wrote:I've got a couple 44 Magnums and 45 Colts just to avoid these types of arguments. When I'm pushing poop with the gray stubble guys I tout the 45 Colt and all its virtues and superiority's. When hanging with the not as gray bunch I hang my hat on the 44 Magnums proven record. And when I go hunting I grab whatever I've got ammo for, because the dirty little secret is this; if you hit it right with the right bullet it's going to die just as dead with either load. Eeny meany miney mo...
Shhhh... you'll quelch the argument with common sense - not allowed here!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Gosh I love this place.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Idiot wrote:I've got a couple 44 Magnums and 45 Colts just to avoid these types of arguments. When I'm pushing poop with the gray stubble guys I tout the 45 Colt and all its virtues and superiority's. When hanging with the not as gray bunch I hang my hat on the 44 Magnums proven record. And when I go hunting I grab whatever I've got ammo for, because the dirty little secret is this; if you hit it right with the right bullet it's going to die just as dead with either load. Eeny meany miney mo...

That's the best summary of the .44/.45 Colt and the .444/.45-70 debates (...and the .308/.30-06, .243 Win/6mm Rem, 7mm RemMag/300 WinMag...) I've heard in along time! 8) :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Joe, you little stinker. Stirring the pot like that. You should be ashamed. :twisted:
Old Law Dawg
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I think the point has been well-proved that the .45 Colt's potential was not limited by the cartridge or its design, but by the older guns in which it was chambered.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

My thoughts exactly, and after the last round on the 30/30 I'm not going to say anymore.

BTW 86'er I LIKE YOUR STYLE!!!!

^

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I think someone just logged into 86er's computer under his user ID and lobbed a grenade. Just wait until 86er checks the forum and sees what someone posted under his user ID! :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Troublemaker! :wink:

The .44 is one of the most accurate centerfire revolver cartridges around (between the .44 Special and .44 Magnum). Though in measurement it is not quite the same (being .429" nominally) it gives a kind of continum from the venerable .44 cap and ball revolvers (despite their nominal .454" bore). And, they are just a ton of fun to shoot! :D
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

RIHMFIRE wrote:ANYONE THAT DOES NOT LIKE THEIR 44....
Why do you find it necessary to post in all caps these days? Yes, Terry Murbach does it but then he's Terry. You're not. So what's the deal? Just curious.
ED
Yer never too old
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Troublemaker! :wink:

The .44 is one of the most accurate centerfire revolver cartridges around (between the .44 Special and .44 Magnum). Though in measurement it is not quite the same (being .429" nominally) it gives a kind of continum from the venerable .44 cap and ball revolvers (despite their nominal .454" bore). And, they are just a ton of fun to shoot! :D

Sorry, but converted .44 C&B guns are (rimshot please) fohtee fives ;)
Certified gun nut
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Terry Murbach wrote:[ NEVER MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YORE BIG MOUTH SHUT, MURBOSKE..]

+1234

mmhhmhhhmhhmmm
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

.44 and the .45 (I need em both/I love em both) :lol: :mrgreen: With that said, I am getting off this one. :shock: :lol:
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I DO!!!!

The .44 is a GREAT round in both handgun and rifle. I can't think of a more versatile, accurate, and reliable round than that of the ol' fourty-four!! If I was allowed only one gun....that's the caliber I'd chose.

Maybe I read too much Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith when I was a kid..........
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like someone is wanting to know if we can back up our likes/dislikes with reasons. Joe, you have a .44 Special. If you really want to give it away, I'll take it. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KentuckyLevrgunr
Levergunner

Post by KentuckyLevrgunr »

Why do we need the Silverado 1500 and the F-150? So the Chevy guys can talk bad about the F-150 and the Ford guys can talk bad about the Silverado. Sure, there was more of a need for the .44 Mag in the mid 50's than there is now, but since we have both, we can choose sides and have pointless arguments on how and why one of two very similar cartridges is better than the other. That's why we have the .44 Magnum, forget all the "Elmer Keith" stuff. :lol:
There's two kinds of lever action rifles - those designed by J.M. Browning, and those that are inferior.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

adirondakjack wrote:

Not the conversions. Just the "evolutionary path" from the .44 C&B (yes, as noted, really a ".45") to the modern centerfire .44 loadings (yes, as noted, really .43's). Sense of history kind of thing. Part of why many gunners - especially levergunners - love firearms! :D
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I could get by very nicely with my 45LCs and my 41 mag but I am grateful that I don't.

I always thought this conversation/arguement/discussion was silly.......it was like saying who needs blondes when you have redheads and brunettes.

Wm
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

wm wrote:I could get by very nicely with my 45LCs and my 41 mag but I am grateful that I don't.

I always thought this conversation/arguement/discussion was silly.......it was like saying who needs blondes when you have redheads and brunettes.

Wm
Of coarse it's silly. After a day of work, dealing with the wife and dealing with 3 daughters (2 teenagers) I need silly. Bring it on!!

LK
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Should be MANDATORY : ALL 44's BE RE-CHAMBERED TO SOMETHING USEFUL !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

gimdandy wrote:Should be MANDATORY : ALL 44's BE RE-CHAMBERED TO SOMETHING USEFUL !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, then.....Bush down them cylinders and line the barrel....everyone needs a good .22!!!!

:lol:
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Speaking personally, I own 1 45 colt handgun and 10 44 magnum handguns, 1 44 special and 1 marlin 1894 in 44 magnum.
As far as I am concerned, the choice is easily made. Want my 45 colt ---- trade me a nice 44 magnum! :D
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:

Not the conversions. Just the "evolutionary path" from the .44 C&B (yes, as noted, really a ".45") to the modern centerfire .44 loadings (yes, as noted, really .43's). Sense of history kind of thing. Part of why many gunners - especially levergunners - love firearms! :D

OY Vey! And Bourbon is Scotch because they are both Whiskey and the tradition came from Britain? Yikes, the OBVIOUS logic......
Certified gun nut