Post your review of the tang sights you owned.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post your review of the tang sights you owned.

Post by Tycer »

My Taurus tang needed some snugging up - a little woobly. I used blue loctite and broke it loose. I still have to drill and tap it to use the same apertures as the Marbles, Lyman, Williams.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HAVE USED ALL THREE.
SET UP RIGHT THEY ALL WORK FINE. MARBLE'S W/E ADJUSTMENTS ARE AN ADVANTAGE.
I STILL PREFER RECEIVER APERTURE SIGHTS TO ANY AND ALL TANG SIGHTS PERIOD. IT IS NO SURPRISE THAT THE ADVENT OF RECEIVER APERTURE SIGHTS NEAR THE END OF THE NINETEENTH CENTURY INSTANTLY DESTROYED THE SALES OF TANG SIGHTS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

The best one I have ever owned is the Ghost Ring. Tried a Williams and didn't care for it at all. to low down for me. I always felt like I had to lay my head down sideways to see through it. Mike
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I agree with Terry.

I bought a Browning 92 that had a Lyman tang sight. First thing I did when I got it home and handled it some was remove the tang sight. I used the barrel sight until I could get it drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. Never looked back.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have 4 rifles with Marbles tang sights and would not trade them for any other, they are a quality item. If these were hunting rifles, I would probably not want a tang sight, but rather a receiver sight. For silhouette, they are just the ticket.

I have a Taurus Model 63 with the Taurus tang sight, which is a real disappointment to me. The stem wiggles, the clicks are almost indecernable and the windage changes every time you fold down the sight and fold it up again.

Iron sights are no different that scopes, you get what you pay for.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So far, my Taurus tang sights on my Rossi's have all (4) worked well enough to keep me in 4" at 100 yards. Maybe 50 .454 Casull rounds and 200 .44 Mag & .357 rounds per the various guns.

They are all relatively new, purchased from Cheaper Than Dirt website if I recall. Seem tight and reasonably well made. They adjust windage same as the Marble (Lyman's don't I think).

Got one extra in case, and for the FIVE sights, I spent less than I'd have spent on ONE Marble. The Marble may be a better sight, but there's something to be said for affordability; I figure BOTH will bend if I drop the gun on them. (I own Timex rather than Rolex for the same reason.) I guess if I wanted extreme precision, I'd be using a fancy target-model receiver sight, or scope, and if I wanted extreme durability, I'd be using receiver or barrel mounted peeps.

Still, on Marlins I use either a Williams FP receiver sight, or if the gun is scoped (with see through rings), as backup I use a cheap ($14) little flip-up aperture one installed where the original rear sight was. Believe it or not, an aperture "way up there" actually isn't a bad sight; I'd have never thought so until I tried one and had no problem hitting soda cans at 75 yards with it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a Taurus tang sight on my Taurus lever action .22. The "clicks" are rather soft and it has a sticky spot about half-way up on the elevation adjustment, but for the most part it works OK.

My 1907 vintage '92 Winchester wears an original Lyman tang sight. There are no "clicks" or windage adjustment. The elevation knob turns so smooth and easy that it comes out of adjustment at the slightest bump. I really don't like it much.

My hands-down favorite is the Marble's tang sight. I have eleven rifles with the Marble's sight. They have positive windage and elevation "clicks" and come with three different eyepieces, although I think a Merit adjustable eyepiece is better.
I sometimes have to install a taller sight stem for longer range shooting, and I also like to scribe a reference mark on the elevation stem so I don't have to count each click when making adjustments.

Shasta[/img]
Last edited by Shasta on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

One of the most underrated sights is the old reliable Williams 5D, have one on my 1894 Marlin 44 mag, and on my 36D Marlin 30/30, it's a great hunting sight, the FP might be better for paper punchers but i'm happy with the 5D.

I recently purchased a Williams WGRS for my Rossi Single Shot rifle, and for $35.00 i'm very happy with what I got, the range in elevation is limited compared to the 5D but it was what fit my Rossi and I'll be using one load 99% of the time so should work out fine.

I have a AO/XS Ghost Ring on my 94AE Trapper 357 mag, and this gun being mostly used in tight cover on hogs the Ghost Ring is perfect for fast shooting in close quarters, and the all steel construction should take allot of abuse.

I have a Taurus Tang Peep on my model 62LAR lever 22RF and i'm totally satisfied with it especially for the price. Works fine as it should so I'm happy.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm just the opposite of Terry and Malamute. But, that doesn't make any of us "wrong". Just a market for a different product.

I have a couple of Lyman's on Winchester 94s. They are stable, and once adjusted, reliable and handy. As Jnyork sez, excellent for silhouette and target work. Less handy for still/stalk hunting where a snap shot may be necessary. However, I know several CAS competitors that swear by them. They say they work great for fast shooting. That's not my experience, but... :?:

I have one Marbles that is simply the cat's meow. However, it has the same limitations, inconvienences and advantages as all other tang sights. Its one advantage over the Lyman is that it's windage adjustable.

I have an early reproduction tang sight on my custom Winchester I use most often in long range lever events. It is also fully adjustable for windage and elevation. I use a 1" round disk with a .093 aperature along with a globe and thin post for a front sight. For silhouette, target or even for stand hunting it is a very good sight. Wish I could remember who made it. :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

=shasta]

My 1907 vintage '92 Winchester wears an original Lyman tang sight. There are no "clicks" or windage adjustment. The elevation knob turns so smooth and easy that it comes out of adjustment at the slightest bump. I really don't like it much.

Its an easy fix which I have done countless times. Unscrew the stem and degrease it. Find something "gooey" and smear it on the threads. I use this glue that when heated up, it turns liquid and at room temperature, its "gooey". Teflon tape also works but tends to "ride" out of the threads.

As for a reference mark, I dab on a spot of white paint and count the turns. -----------Sixgun

Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with Griff. I have used tang sights since 1974? when I acquired my first '92. They are mounted on all of my leverguns, some original, some repos. Mounted properly, I have never had any problems but..........they are much more easily knocked out of commission so..............When I hunt with a tang sight, (which is 95% of the time) that particular rifle also has a fold down barrel sight as a backup-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Terry Murbach wrote:HAVE USED ALL THREE.
SET UP RIGHT THEY ALL WORK FINE. MARBLE'S W/E ADJUSTMENTS ARE AN ADVANTAGE.
I STILL PREFER RECEIVER APERTURE SIGHTS TO ANY AND ALL TANG SIGHTS PERIOD. IT IS NO SURPRISE THAT THE ADVENT OF RECEIVER APERTURE SIGHTS NEAR THE END OF THE NINETEENTH CENTURY INSTANTLY DESTROYED THE SALES OF TANG SIGHTS.
That says it all for my experience.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I have tried the Marble's Tang Sight, and although it worked well, I could not get used to the placement of my right hand. I have given up on tang sights and now go to the Williams, XS, or Skinner sights!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have vintage Marbles and Lyman tang sights on most of my old leverguns. They're good, and most the time I find I don't need windage adjustments. I do have a couple of windage adjustable Lymans on two singleshot rifls, and the old 103 is a super nice tang sight!
I also have various vernier tang sights on som singleshot rifles, and they vary from oriinal Ballard, Win. or Stevens sights. All are much better quality than the Lymans and Marbles I have on the levers, but they are also a lot more expensive.
I've got a couple MVA, and Riflesmith windage adjustable vernier tang sights, and they are beyond excellent. The clicks are very fine, and adjustemnts are positive with no slop in elevation or windage.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/