Why do 20" AND 24" have same mag cap

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redbeardinntx
Levergunner

Why do 20" AND 24" have same mag cap

Post by redbeardinntx »

Howdy everyone, I have 2 different win 92 replicas. Both are made by Rossi. One is a 20in LSI import. The other is a 24in EMF Hartford. Both rifles hold a max of 10 .45Colt rounds. One would think that the 24in would hold at least one more shell. Is there a restriction on cap in Brazil? Can the 24 mag spring be shortened with out compremizing reliability? Thanks for any Ideas. Cimarron Sam
"Keep yer p****r hard , and yer powder dry." - Gen U. S. Grant
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Why do 20" AND 24" have same mag cap

Post by Shasta »

If I remember correctly there is a California law restricting magazine capacity on new rifles to 10 rounds, but tube magazine leverguns have since been excepted from that law. Guns imported when it was in effect for leverguns had a metal rod screwed into the magazine end cap that limited them to 10 rounds.

Simply remove the single screw securing the end cap on the magazine (be careful, the cap is under spring pressure and can fly out once the screw is removed). If you cap has a capacity restriction rod, unthread it from the end cap, reinstall the magazine spring and end cap, and you're set.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Shasta said!! +1 :D
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Six states have mag limits as part of "mirror" AWB laws (that stayed with us when the Clinton gun ban went away). NY, CA, MD, and I don't remember the other three. If it's like a Marlin, there is a plastic "knitting needle" inside the mag tube that can be removed, upping the capacity to maybe 13 rounds.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That still doesn't explain why the Marlin .45-70's hold one less round than the .444's... :? :evil: :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there redbeardinntx - As well as checking out all the above, another thing you can do to increase your magazine capacity is to shorten the magazine spring. I try to order in a replacement, save the original, and then nip a few coils off the replacement. Trial and error 'til you like it. Depending on the caliber, it may not substantially increase the capacity, but it may help to ease loading a full tube. Hope this helps. Wind
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AJMD429 wrote:That still doesn't explain why the Marlin .45-70's hold one less round than the .444's... :? :evil: :roll:
I don't know but I heard that it is an inside joke at Marlin. Something about messing with the minds of various professionals... :?: :roll:

:wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
redbeardinntx
Levergunner

Post by redbeardinntx »

Thanks for all the info folks. I havent had a chance to look at them yet. I got called in sat and have been working since. Talk about a huge mess with all this rain. Im gonna pull the mad plugs and check. Yall have a good week and thanks again.
"Keep yer p****r hard , and yer powder dry." - Gen U. S. Grant
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Open up the mag tube and take out the plastic rod, then you have full mag capacity. Takes about as long to do as this did to type.