I am smitten! First Marlin 39A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

I am smitten! First Marlin 39A

Post by C. Cash »

Picked up my boy's Marlin this morning. Everything on this rifle is a cut above what I expected(wood, fit/finish, etc..). I feel like I am a little kid again fooling around with this gun. I just had no idea that these rifles were so nicely made. ALL AMERICAN made too. An 1894 in 44 Mag. is looking even better. Marlin done good! :D :D :D Pics to follow, as soon as the swampy mess outside goes away a little and gives me better light.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Consider it a step back in history too. For all practical purposes that's the same rifle that Annie Oakley used. I think someone once said that the M39 is the oldest continually made rifle in history. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yore gonna find out that it's crazy accurate, too !

I have a 1946 model that shoots tiny groups with standard-speed ammo & issue iron sights.

I'm in the middle of peepin' the 1951 model, I picked up at a NH gunshow last Saturday - and I can't hardly wait to get 'er to the range!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They are SWEET, I got mine about a month ago and love it!!! :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

My wife saw it and got a big grin and said..."Can I shoot that one?" You betcha! :D She has always enjoyed my 10/22 and occassional skeet. Yes, it is a step back into time a bit indeed. It seems everyone has to buy a stainless zingbanger these days when the old classics provide much more enjoyment, at least to me. Just seems people are missing out by always thinking they need to improve something. I don't mind a little change, but why not stick with what works and has a history? Said the Dinosaur..... :wink: :)
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Mine is from 1962 - but I got it in 2006. It has quickly become one of my favorite rifles.
Hanz
Levergunner

Post by Hanz »

Congrats!

They are very nice .22s that you never outgrow.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks fellas. Will post more with pics and accuracy tests in the very near future(I am slow, but sure, most of the time :oops: ). Need to get some 356 Win. loaded up as well as I've been sidetracked a bit, shooting BP with a buddy of mine. I haven't been this excited to get a gun since I unwrapped the plastic off my first Super BlackHawk as a teenager :D .
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The only thing worse than a lever addiction is a rimfire lever addiction. I will readily admit to being a rimfire junkie. :D
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Mine is a 1949. Few nicer rifles of any type or caliber have ever been manufactured.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

39A

Post by LeverBob »

Boy Howdy...count me in too! Mine's a 1950 model & it shoots like a house afire! Like it a little more than my Rem. 121 pump and I like that rifle just fine).
It must be the most fun gun I own. :lol:

LeverBob
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Congratulations.

If I ever run across a Mountie I hope I have some $ in my pocket. They are sweet little rifles.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Edit: I'll try and make the photo bigger...not sure what happened to it!

Here goes: l-r New Marlin 39A, BB 94 in 356 Win., BSA Australian Cadet 32/20

The longer barreled 39A balances right on the forend. Won't be shooting again this weekend but will try for next week :D
Last edited by C. Cash on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

A MAN'S .22, for sure. (but you can let your kid shoot it if you want :wink: )
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I am going to try to find a beater stock that I can cut down for my 7 year old, then add in the original stock when he gets older. Thanks fellas....can't fix the darned picture but I did my best.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I picked up an older 39A about a month ago off of Gunbroker, found out it was made in 1954. Sweet! I got to shoot it for the 1st time today, it is quite a shooter.

I'm going to have to look for another of these.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.