OT - Your Fav "Saturday Nite Special"/Throwaway...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Your Fav "Saturday Nite Special"/Throwaway...

Post by OI phones in... »

Packing up My toys and deciding what not to take with me to WY got me thinking...

Since my "good stuff" is packed, I have to tote "alternate" gear, which leaves my SNS/Throwaway - a gun that, for all its' cheapness is supprisingly good.

Until I fly out, I'm carrying a Pheonix HP22 - a neat little 10 shot 22lr that came with a 2" bbl and a 4" bbl for less than $150 new.

Mostly accurate, but dead reliable, even with 60gr SSST ammo. Carries well in an Uncle Mikes IWB #36 neoprene retention holster.

What do you have / like that came for less than $150 (1998 dollars) NIB ?
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
Hobie

Re: OT - Your Fav "Saturday Nite Special"/Throwaway...

Post by Hobie »

Norinco M213 9mm. Paid $125... I'd rather have the Norinco than a Hi-Point.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Makarov 9x18.Purchased 4 of them in the early-mid 90's for under $130 each.( two E. German, one Russian & one Bulgarian). Quite accurate and completely reliable.
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

Little I frame Smith snubby that apparently was in somebodys glove box so long that it wore a flat spot in one wooden grip.>32 cal,shoots like a dream and I gave $75 for it .bj
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I bought a used Heritage Manufcturing "Stealth" for $150. 9mm, 20 ounces empty and 9+1 capacity. Very similar to the KelTec 9mm. When I shot it the magazine would drop out of the gun! I called Heritage and they had me send it to them. They returned the gun with an all new upper and charged exactly no money! That same basic gun is now sold by Wilson Combat (called the ADP). Their version looks better, but I bet it cost more than $150!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Both 32 s&w long . Iver johnson snub nose cadet and H&R model 732 . Paid $125 for both guns and they look new . Spent most of there time in a night stand drawer. The H& R shoots great but the Iver is a little technique sensitive. ( make sure the trigger resets all the way)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

klhill wrote:Makarov 9x18.Purchased 4 of them in the early-mid 90's for under $130 each.( two E. German, one Russian & one Bulgarian). Quite accurate and completely reliable.
I like my Bulgarian made Makarov pistolet. The quality is way better than the Chinese pistol. Of course, I paid big money for it, about $159... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

1989 4" blued Taurus 66---.357mag Bought New for $185 :)
Thats a heck of a gun for that cost! Shoots very well!
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Old H&R .38 S&W...5 shot break open double action. Goes bang every time and hits where you point at 5yds.....got it free back in the 80's.
UNITE
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hobie wrote:Norinco M213 9mm. Paid $125... I'd rather have the Norinco than a Hi-Point.

Talk about damning something with faint praise!!

/sheeshe!!!! I'd rather have an ancient Iver Johnson Breaktop .32 S&W Short than a Hi-Point, though I figure Lo-Point is more descriptive.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

My pet SNS?Suicide Specials are a pair of Iver Johnson TP-22 pistols. They have 1.85" barrels and seven-shot magazines. Sights are cast on ans strictly fixed, but well regulated. When my eyes weere still pretty good, I had no problem popping soda cans at 50 yards.

Best thing about them is that they are 100% reliable, as long as I feed them good HV or Hyper-Velocity ammo. Standard Velocity ammo doesn't have the OOMPH to cycle the slide far enough to eject and feed a new round.

I bought the first one for $100.00 back in 1988. They guy I bought it from admitted that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, though he could shoot his brother's TP-22 just fine. I reckon that little pistol just didn't like the man because it has always tried to act like a target pistol for me.

I got the other one from Slow Hand (Doug Kinnaman) in about 1996 ot '97. He bought it as a UN Gun Ban Day gesture. i swapped him the Bauer .25 ACP Baby Browning copy that I'd bought for the same purpose.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Rossie .32 S&W Long, gun shoots well.
44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44/40 »

Hi Standard deringer in 22 magnum. Bought new ('76) for $50. Only 2 shots, but if you miss, you set them on fire with the muzzle flash...
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Well now that I have a "Saturday Nite Special"/Throwaway...
Guess this would be it. :wink: ($109.00)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

NAA Mini with the 22lr and 22Mag cylinders. I have one, and it is reliable as you could ask, but the accuracy is anybody's guess. If I have to carry something that could be lost without too much sadness, that one would be it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have an Old .25 Raven so I'd guess that that qualifies. Was given to me by a guy that didn't want it laying around the house because of his kids. Had it about 10 or 12 years. Fired 1/2 box of shells thru it when I got it and it was 100% reliable. Put it and it's loaded clip in the safe and there it sat, untouched, till a couple months ago. For the heck of it I pulled it out to see if it still worked. Low and behold it ran 100% again. Dust and all. Put it back in the safe to be checked again in another 10 or 12 years.

Kinda a pointless gun for me. I don't/can't CC due to the "may issue" status in Iowa and a liberal county sheriff. To tell the truth don't know if I would even if I could.

LK
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Colt Lawman purchased in 1998 for about $185 (had some finish issues) --- don't know if this a colt 6 shooter at any price really fits the spirit of the thread though -- i just got a good deal. For those not familiar - the Lawman is the same as a Trooper, except with fixed rather than adjustable sights and was only available in 357 mag

Finish issues were rectified by having the gun parkerized :shock: -- this was still a few years before the price of anything with a Colt logo hit the stratosphere, and i liked the no nonsense look.

edit: pic added --- does this count as a BBQ gun since there is a grill in the background? :?: :roll:

Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I'd pick my Rossi Model 68 38 spec snubby, but after seeing other choices, I guess I only have high end expensive firearms.
Well done is better than well said.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nothing personal here, but I have never "purchased" any cheap guns. By "cheap", I mean pot metal junk or some foreign junk I have had lots of cheapies that were given to me or came with other guns that I wanted. These cheapies are thrown in a pile and taken to the gun buyback programs in Philadelphia, where I "trade" them for $100 each.
OI, I would consider your Phoenix a thrifty, but reliable gun, which is what we all want to defend ourselves with. (reliable :D )---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD