Got me a Uberti 1873 Deluxe Sporting Rifle .38WCF!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Got me a Uberti 1873 Deluxe Sporting Rifle .38WCF!

Post by CraigC »

I don't get around here much because well, quite frankly, you guys are a bad influence! I've had the hankering for a 1866, 1873 or 1876 replica for a few years now and finally gave in to the urge. Not quite ready to start casting bullets for the .50/95 I put that off and planned on getting a `66 or `73 in .44Spl to do double duty with my .44Colt Open Top and 1860 cartridge conversion sixguns but I just didn't feel like I'd get what I wanted out of it ballistically. I wanted something that I could get enough velocity out of to make for a viable 100yd deer rifle, if not a tad further, without putting the old toggle design in too much of a strain. I also wanted to be able to use blackpowder without too much blowby crudding up the action. So after much deliberation, I drove up to Dixie Gun Works on Monday to get me a 24" Deluxe Sporting rifle in .38WCF. I already load for this cartridge and have a good supply of components. They let me look at the two they had in stock so I could pick the one with better wood. It must have been a while since I handled one because I remembered them being heavier. Even with the slightly smaller bore it's not bad at all, not that it would've deterred me. So I loaded up 20rds with a commercial 180gr RNFP over 8.5gr Unique in Starline brass and the first shot fired pegged a soup can at 120yds. I'm taking this as a good sign. I plan on loading up some more and benching it this week. Already have a Marble's tang sight en route. Just a little nervous about poking a hole in a brand new $1100 rifle!

Hold yer breath because I'm about to blaspheme. I had originally bought all my .38WCF stuff for a Ruger Buckeye special .38WCF/10mm convertible. Had planned on testing various 10mm jacketed bullets by adding a cannelure with my handy-dandy Corbin cannelure tool and taking advantage of the bigger case's capacity and the Ruger's greater strength. Nice plan, never got around to it. After reading Brian Pearce's report in the August issue of Handloader that the modern 1873 replicas in .45Colt can be run up to nearly 20,000psi, where he was getting 1400fps with a 255gr cast over 18.0gr 2400, I plan on running in that direction. I really don't wanna push my luck with this platform so I'll figure anything over 1400fps with a 180gr cast to be gravy. Might sound like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel but I just thought it would be fun to experiment with. Probably find out that I'll get the most velocity out of blackpowder anyway and I'm most excited about trying a commercial 10mm 170gr SWC if I can roll a cannelure or crimping groove into them. I'll start hunting with it right after muzzleloader season.

Here it is pictured with my Cimarron 1860 Richards Transition model .44Colt.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got me a Uberti 1873 Deluxe Sporting Rifle .38WCF!

Post by COSteve »

Sweet pair of weapons you've got there.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That's fine looking rifle and I'm gonna buy one pretty soon. The open top is cool, too. 8)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

If you want some expansion and using a jacketed bullet doesn't give you a rash, I bet there are Gold Dots available( 40 cal) that would work great at your intended impact velocities. BTW, great looking guns. I've got a Richards and a type II in 44 colt but my deluxe 73 is in 32wcf. Oh well, I won't get them confused anyway :mrgreen:
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Mike D. wrote:That's fine looking rifle and I'm gonna buy one pretty soon. The open top is cool, too. 8)
Convertible levergun and a beauty. 1886.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Thanks for the kind words!

Yep, I've got two or three different weights in the Speer Gold Dot plus 200gr XTP's, a 135gr Sierra that looks like it would be a wonderful varmint splatter and a couple others. The XTP might be heavier than I want to fool with though. Can't wait to get the peep mounted. Looking forward to spending time with this rifle!

Maybe I'll just get a `66 .44Spl to go with my topless Colt replicas??? ;)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

CraigC, your a man after my own heart. I'm just about ready to to do the same thing and I'm looking for the same model and caliber. Your post just makes me drool more.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Drool alert! Drool alert!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I admire those ol' 66, 73's and 76's too! Very nice rifle and handgun you have there.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Thanks! Got the tang sight today, try to get it mounted this weekend and start doing some serious shooting. Once I do a little shooting I'll determine if I need a taller front sight and probably put a fine brass bead on it. I'm excited about getting this thing ready for deer season.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Just when I thought I could be happy with what I have :mrgreen: What a good looking set up!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Awsome looking combo!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

COSteve ------------- as -------------------- Bubbles??
Stillwater
Levergunner

Post by Stillwater »

I just bought two Cimarron 1873 Deluxe sporting rifles, each one with a 24" barrel. One in .44-40 and one like yours, in .38-40. When I laid down the long green for those two beauties, I felt like I had accomplished a long sought goal...

This purchase had been planned for quiet sometime. I have had 1500 rounds of brass in each caliber, for over two years.

Now, I need one in .32-20...

Bill
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

Very nice looking firearms, been thinking about going down to Taylor in Winchester, VA. and get me Winchester '73 and get a 38-40. Congrats, have fun.

SINGLESHOT
Death Before Dishonor