OT - I Wonder If Some People Can Talk To Angels....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT - I Wonder If Some People Can Talk To Angels....

Post by Blaine »

I swear to God this is exactly as it was related to me by my very reliable sister:

My Sister talked to someone, (in person..not a 900 number :lol:), who purported to talk to angles and "know" stuff. She sez that this fella, without prior knowledge of her at all, nailed her life, every detail of what happened and what would happen. Before the end of the talk he volunteered that Your Uncle Mac still had a couple hundred years to work off against his suicide, then he would be ok....... A trick? My completely sane and reliable Sister is lying? There's no way a stranger could have known about our Uncle shooting himself like that....... This guy does business out of Florida somewhere.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Good. I've got a few questions for him.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: I Wonder If Some People Can Talk To Angels....

Post by AmBraCol »

BlaineG wrote:I swear to God this is exactly as it was related to me by my very reliable sister:

My Sister talked to someone, (in person..not a 900 number :lol:), who purported to talk to angles and "know" stuff. She sez that this fella, without prior knowledge of her at all, nailed her life, every detail of what happened and what would happen. Before the end of the talk he volunteered that Your Uncle Mac still had a couple hundred years to work off against his suicide, then he would be ok....... A trick? My completely sane and reliable Sister is lying? There's no way a stranger could have known about our Uncle shooting himself like that....... This guy does business out of Florida somewhere.......
First, remember - not all angels are from above.

Second, angels are GOD's servants - not ours.

Third, 900 number = pay per call/minute = that which is from God is NOT for sale.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AmBraCol wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I swear to God this is exactly as it was related to me by my very reliable sister:

Third, 900 number = pay per call/minute = that which is from God is NOT for sale.
First: So true

Second: Ummmm....too much evidence that the earth-bound have had help or at least intervention...

Third: This was not a 900 number :wink:

I'm skeptical, too........But, this didn't have the flavor of a stage act or parlor trick...

Should one turn down comfort because it might be from below, and how could one make that determination? When we pray, does the Dark One answer sometimes? I don't think anyone down here can know any of this....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I agree...yes, some do have the spiritual gift to see these things. This mans statement is in error though. If God has a "work it off" program, why would He send his Son, whom He Loves, to die a most horrible death on the Cross in order to save us from those very sins? No way Jose'. This fellow may have gotten some of his facts right but it does not agree with scripture at all. As Ambracol said...not all angels are from above and you have to watch for darkness maquerading as light. Not saying this fella is that for sure, but be careful. We are told to stay away from mediums and spritists also.
Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

C. Cash wrote:I agree...yes, some do have spiritual eyes to see that others don't. This mans statement is in error though. If God has a "work it off" program, why would He send his Son, whom He Loves, to die a most horrible death at the hand of a bunch of animals on the Cross? No way Jose'. This fellow may have gotten some of his facts right but it does not agree with scripture at all. As Ambracol said...not all angels are from above and you have to watch for darkness maquerading as light. Not saying this fella is that for sure, but be careful. We are told to stay away from mediums and spritists also.
Wouldn't the "work it off program" be the purgatory some speak of?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes, this "work it off program" would correspond to purgatory. At least the Catholic interpretation of it.

Now as for how this guy got all his info? He's got sources right here on earth. Every detail of most of our lives is in a data base somewhere. I'd bet that is where he's getting his from.

I believe in angles, but this smells a bit to me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

This is where you get into the debate between Denominations and I don't want to burn bridges between Brothers. But since I don't think it is a point of salvation, I will state my opinion. The idea of Purgatory in this context is not found in the Bible from what I've read/studied, but is a later Church teaching. We're told that He paid it all for us throughout the NT, if we accept it. They don't talk about His paying some and then us owing some too. In fact, the utter impossibility of us earning it is more the theme. Now boys, go easy on me and I'm not questioning anyones faith here. I'm just going from the what I've read in the Bible. Thats how I see it, but you may see it differently.
Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

BlaineG wrote:
AmBraCol wrote:

First: So true

Second: Ummmm....too much evidence that the earth-bound have had help or at least intervention...

Third: This was not a 900 number :wink:

I'm skeptical, too........But, this didn't have the flavor of a stage act or parlor trick...

Should one turn down comfort because it might be from below, and how could one make that determination? When we pray, does the Dark One answer sometimes? I don't think anyone down here can know any of this....
OK. My bad. I saw "900 number" and didn't catch the "NOT".

Do angels serve us? Yes - but not because WE ask them too. We've no authority over them, only God does - over those who are loyal to Him. Then there's the rest of them.

People forget that there's another world around us, the spiritual world, and that nothing we do is unobserved by the spirit world. That is why they know things about us that "only so and so could know", and that is why folks fall for sceances and such. There's some good material out there on the subject. Too many people have started "chasing angels" - forgetting that there's only ONE mediator between God and man - Jesus the Christ.

I'd suggest you take a look at the book "The Beautiful Side Of Evil". It gives you a glimpse of the other side - and the power they have. However, the power a Christian has is MUCH greater - but we too often do not know how to use that power, and too often would use it incorrectly. Anyway, does satan answer prayer? No doubt. Jesus Himself said "Not all who say Lord, Lord will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven" - and He also says in the same passage, "Many will say to me in that day, did we not do miracles in your name and in your name we cast out many demons? and I will say to them, away from me you workers of evil, for I NEVER knew you." So yes, satan and his hosts can also do miracles and such.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Blaine, dont have an answer for you, wish I did. I do think some people out there can see and hear stuff we cant. Let me tell you an honest to GOD true story and someone here explain how this person knew.

About 13 years ago my wife had a longtime friend come visit us. We went to San Francisco for the day. As we were walking thru the fisherman's wharf area a gypsy asked if any of us wanted our fortune told. Our friend decided to go for it. The gypsy was looking at her palm and said she couldnt read part of it because her father wasnt really her father. The gypsy made a couple other predictions that so far have turned out true. Our friend didnt understand the "father' comment and called her mom about it. When she got home her mom and "father" confessed to her that this man was not her real father. She had never known this and was 20 something years old at the time. Now how did this perfect stranger on another coast know this???? We have wondered about it for years. Too lucky to be any kind of guess.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

This is a topic that is often dicussed among Christians, how to explain the unexplained. I'm paraphrasing but the Bible says becareful you entertain angels unaware. IMHO, I think we interact with angels but at the time of interaction the angel is not known as such. Which brings up my next point of when Saul went to the witch of Endor(sp?) and when the figure of Samuel showed up it scared her, and again I'm paraphrasing. Which details that she wasn't expecting anything like that. I think the passage can be found in 1st Samuel. Also something said said the other day about Paul saying that to be absent from this body is to be present with Christ. Which brings up the another point. Then are all Ghost bad? I don't know, but I'd be awful careful of trying to interact with such. IMHO I don't think Ghost are sent from GOD to complete something because like Chris pointed out. There's nothing in the Bible to explain such.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Kinda off topic.

Anyone read any books by Frank Peretti? May not be the exact truth but I think it can give an outline of how things are.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Leviticus 19:31, 20:6, 20:27 and Deuteronomy 18:9-14 refer to “mediums and familiar spiritsâ€
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Blaine,
The apostle Paul told us that this life we live is a warfare between good and evil. Hell was created for the devil and is angels and those that follow after him. One day they will be cast there for the rest of eternity. Until that time they are free to walk this world deceiving all that they can. Jesus himself said I am the truth the way and the life, no man cometh unto the father but by me.
The best explanation I've ever heard to explain a lot of things that go on in this world was given by Hal Linsdey who wrote "The Late Great Planet Earth" back in the 70's. He said that the job of Satan and his angles is to trick as many people as they can into NOT believing what the Bible has to say and they will use any method they can to do it. The very first thing that the Devil did on this earth when dealing with mankind was to trick them by twisting something God said. Nothing has changed today.
The Bible says, "There's nothing new under the sun."

I'm in Florida, if there's anything I can do to help let me know.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
SMP
Levergunner

Post by SMP »

Not to hijack the thread but the comments on purgatory got me thinking,didn't the Catholic Church abolish the belief of purgatory some time ago.I'm a Catholic,not active in the Church,but I thought purgatory wasn't acknowledged anymore.Am I correct?
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

These guys have said it well Blaine, "mediums" and such should be avoided IMHO. I personally believe in the spiritual warfare around us and I don't trust anything that resembles stuff like you described. Satan uses anything he can to get to us, especially deception.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

The Bible also tells us to test the spirits. The one Blaine is asking about failed the test. How? By claiming that someone can work off or pay for or atone for his sins. That's a lie.

This is heresy. This is blasphemy. This is an old idea but it IS NOT POSSIBLE for a sinful being to atone for his sins. NOT EVER. This is in fact the fundamental core belief of every false religion, that men can appease God. Not going to happen, OR, God is a liar. Let God be true and every man a liar the Bible says.

It's not by works of righteousness which we have done, but by His Mercy that he has saved us, the Bible says.

It's the job of the lying spirits to deceive, and the fact that the deception is 100% opposed to the Gospel proves that it's a lier. Simple. The Bible says that in the last days the devil will go around like a roaring lion seeking to devour people.

The Bible is Truth. Men are liars. And whoever spoke to Blaine's daughter is a corrupt lying snake, to put it nicely..,

Grizz
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Laudetur Iesus Christus!

SMP,
The Catholic Church still teaches and has always taught the existence of a state we call purgatory.
The Catechism explains it this way.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/1031.htm

This Bible passage is probably the most obvious regarding purgatory.

"In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the dead to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin" (2 Macc. 12:43–45).

The Jews have always prayed for the dead. The Catholic Church didn't start it.

Saint Augustine said this in some of his writings.

"There is an ecclesiastical discipline, as the faithful know, when the names of the martyrs are read aloud in that place at the altar of God, where prayer is not offered for them. Prayer, however, is offered for other dead who are remembered. It is wrong to pray for a martyr, to whose prayers we ought ourselves be commended" (Sermons 159:1 [A.D. 411]).

"But by the prayers of the holy Church, and by the salvific sacrifice, and by the alms which are given for their spirits, there is no doubt that the dead are aided, that the Lord might deal more mercifully with them than their sins would deserve. The whole Church observes this practice which was handed down by the Fathers: that it prays for those who have died in the communion of the Body and Blood of Christ, when they are commemorated in their own place in the sacrifice itself; and the sacrifice is offered also in memory of them, on their behalf. If, then, works of mercy are celebrated for the sake of those who are being remembered, who would hesitate to recommend them, on whose behalf prayers to God are not offered in vain? It is not at all to be doubted that such prayers are of profit to the dead; but for such of them as lived before their death in a way that makes it possible for these things to be useful to them after death" (ibid., 172:2).

"Temporal punishments are suffered by some in this life only, by some after death, by some both here and hereafter, but all of them before that last and strictest judgment. But not all who suffer temporal punishments after death will come to eternal punishments, which are to follow after that judgment" (The City of God 21:13 [A.D. 419]).

If you want to know what the Church teaches get a copy of the Catechism.

Take care.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It would have been nice to have a Biblical reference for purgatory. Since one doesn't exist, I guess we will have to speculate.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

C. Cash wrote:This is where you get into the debate between Denominations and I don't want to burn bridges between Brothers. But since I don't think it is a point of salvation, I will state my opinion. The idea of Purgatory in this context is not found in the Bible from what I've read/studied, but is a later Church teaching. We're told that He paid it all for us throughout the NT, if we accept it. They don't talk about His paying some and then us owing some too. In fact, the utter impossibility of us earning it is more the theme. Now boys, go easy on me and I'm not questioning anyones faith here. I'm just going from the what I've read in the Bible. Thats how I see it, but you may see it differently.
+1 and +1 for Grizz, too.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

When I begin to analyze the Bible, I'm usually looking for loop holes that support my opinions. It's human nature. It's usually best for me to focus on the "big picture" (Salvation) and not sweat the details (legalism). The Bible tells me all I need to know. It contains God's words. However, I don't believe that those are the only words He has ever spoken. There are some things that are just not necessary for me to know in this life. Jesus said that if I believe He is the Christ and died for my sins, I will have eternal life in Heaven. He didn't give me any real details about "how" that process would unfold, so I apparently don't need to know anything else about it. Mankind has introduced all kinds of ideas trying to explain God's methodology. Over the centuries, they have been repeated so much that people begin to believe that they are Biblical when, in fact, they're not. But people will twist scripture to support those ideas. They will take obscure passages and try to turn them into an 11th Commandment. If God wants us to know something really important, He won't hide it "between the lines" in some obscure verse.

I need to focus on the "result" of God's forgiveness, rather than His "methodology".

Humbly,
bogie
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

And war broke out in heaven: Mi′cha·el and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled but it did not prevail, neither was a place found for them any longer in heaven.  So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him.  And I heard a loud voice in heaven say:
“Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ, because the accuser of our brothers has been hurled down, who accuses them day and night before our God!  And they conquered him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their witnessing, and they did not love their souls even in the face of death.  On this account be glad, YOU heavens and YOU who reside in them! Woe for the earth and for the sea, because the Devil has come down to YOU, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.â€
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"29 For whom He(God) did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He(Jesus) might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He(God) did predestinate, them He also called: and whom He called, them He also justified: and whom He justified, them He also glorified."

I'm just glad I'm a predestinated son of God.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bogie - Jesus used a number of "methods" of healing and didn't particularly repeat them - I think so we don't get hung up on method.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Old Savage wrote:Bogie - Jesus used a number of "methods" of healing and didn't particularly repeat them - I think so we don't get hung up on method.
Exactly.

Thanks,
bogie
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Swampman wrote:It would have been nice to have a Biblical reference for purgatory. Since one doesn't exist, I guess we will have to speculate.
"...who [the Son] being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high...." )Hebrews 1:2; emphasis added).

It's been rightly stated that this is the only "purgatory" in the Bible. None other is needed. The believer's sin was accounted to Christ; His righteousness is accounted to the believer so that he will not die eternally (see Romans Chapter 5, especially verses 5-10;19-21). That is saving grace: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God...." (Ephesians 2, verse eight)
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Your verse has nothing at all to do with purgatory.

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Blaine, these gentlemen have been right on the money, IMO, except for the purgatory part, which I don't think is supported by scripture, else Jesus died for nothing. Just my opinion, no offense meant. Here's my 2 cents, on top of what the others said.....regarding "taking comfort" from below. It is DEFINATELY NOT advised, because it'll be a grain of truth wrapped in a bunch of lies, intended to lead you down the wrong path.....away from, not to, God. Why would a christian NOT seek comfort from his Heavenly Father, instead of from someone he knows is his enemy? That's where we're supposed to be going for it........& as we develop our relationship with The Lord, we'll know his voice & can rely on the solidness of His advice, & we'll know the enemy's voice, too & be able to disregard it. jd45
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

There is nothing new under the sun.

-Pretty much says it all.

Also, those "mediums" who one phones in to speak to can pull up all sorts of records on a person while they do the first part of their "cold read".

It is likely that this person your sister spoke to is just really good or really lucky at cold reads, and dug up some public records to cinch things. The fact that this guy makes a living doing it sets off all of my BS alarms.

I have no need for anything but my God and the life He gives me.

I never have a want, never have a need that isn't met by God.

Of course, to think about these things is a nice schlastic exercise, but putting any crredance into something which smacks of BS can be detrimental to your spiritual wellbeing, if not damning, to coin a phrase.

Morning-star, Prince of Light, Satan, Lucifer, Belial or whatever we call hi is here in this world and waiting around every corner to interrut our connection to his former boss, and we have to maintain vigliance.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

"The fact that this guy makes a living doing it sets off all of my BS alarms. "
If someone had talent as say... a singer, would it set of your BS alarm if they made their living singing?
There's an old saying... "not everything is a sin." :wink:

My closest friend has a number of "abilities" that if I were to mention them, you wouldn't believe me. It's easy to doubt such things and did I not know her as well as I do, I would never believe it either.

Of course certain people automatically go "it's evil" or "from the devil" because they didn't learn about it in Sunday school. That's their dogmatic knee jerk reaction to anything that doesn't fit within their narrow view of the universe.

FWIW.. other than family and a few close friends, my friend keeps her "gift" to herself. (she feels it's more of a burden for the most part)
Slow is just slow.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Swampman wrote:Your verse has nothing at all to do with purgatory.
I think that is the point he was trying to make Swampman. He's saying the same thing really.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

1 Thessalonians chapter 5

(5:20-21 in particular)
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

If we, as children adopted into the family of God by faith in Christ, are communicating with Him as any child should, confessing our sins to Him on a regular basis & being forgiven by Him for them, as the Bible assures us they will be, where is the need for a "purging" of our sins, as the term purgatory implies, huh? Just curious, jd45
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hi jd45,

I think that this issue is best discussed among fellow believers face to face(differences between denominations). The world loves to watch us kill ourselves over these issues in public. Then they say "See! That's why I'm not a Christian!" Took me a long time to learn that but I believe it to be true. Just my .02 and I'm not ragging on anyone here. God Bless fellas. There's magical stuff from the Lord out there for sure and I have experienced much of it myself. I always tell the story of my oldest son who has Autism. He was diagnosed young...he had no words and basically stood in the middle of the floor and spun. He abused himself and others. They said he may never develop usable speech. One day he was bouncing his head off the floor and I was just beside myself. I think I was just laying on the floor sobbing. I thought the Lord had cursed us and I was just waiting for the end, having been at it for years with him. My son, who never looked at you in the eyes came directly over to me, looked me in the eyes and said, word for word, "Wake up Daddy, faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see". Then he walked away. He had said one intelligable word before this: "Star". So, It blew me away. My wife came home and he came over and said those same words, as if a witness was needed. I talked with all of his teachers and no one had taught him Hebrews 11(had to scour the Bible but I knew it must have been a verse). I had never taught it to him. That was the beginning of the ascent out of the pit for us. He is an beautiful, intelligent, spirit filled little boy today who makes announcements for his school over the intercom. Sorry for the off track story, but just my long winded way say I believe the Lord visits us personally at times with His truth. Still got to be vigilant and as cas's last post suggests Test Everything. This one to me fails the test because of the content and how it jives with Biblical Scripture.
Last edited by C. Cash on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

AmBraCol wrote:

You priced bibles lately?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

OK Mr. Cash, I'll take your advice, & thanx for the wisdom. Glad your son is doing well. jd45
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say jd45. I was just re-reading CS Lewis's "Mere Christianity" and he brings up that point. I had one of them there epiphanys and realized I had been doing this for years without thinking about it....here on Leverguns most of all. I shudder to think of people that I've helped drive away from the Faith. As with all of this, you guys may see it differently and we are all learning from each other here. No Terry, I don't want a group hug either :wink: :)
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Travis Morgan wrote:You priced bibles lately?

As a matter of fact I have. We paid fair printing price to the printers and distributed several dozen for free last year.
Paul - in Pereira

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I think you can have the ones in the Hotel rooms..........There's a whole ministry/mission just for those room Bibles, IIFC.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

SMP wrote:Not to hijack the thread but the comments on purgatory got me thinking,didn't the Catholic Church abolish the belief of purgatory some time ago.I'm a Catholic,not active in the Church,but I thought purgatory wasn't acknowledged anymore.Am I correct?
Purgatory is still acknowledged by Catholicism, but Limbo has been quietly dropped from teaching if I recall correctly, although I don't think the Church has taken an official position on it. In other words, it won't be taught at Catechism class but the Pope doesn't care if you believe in it.
Well done is better than well said.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

ImageKreskin is one of those "mentalists" and he's very good. HOWEVER, he claims the psychic stuff is stuff and that isn't what he does. What he does is observing the subject. Those folks are attuned to what you say, how you say it, body language, etc and can be very good at coming up with stuff. They also have picked up on what were the most popular names in a given era and will use them. They are also good on how THEY phrase a statement or question so that they seem to be right on even if they make a mistake. They are interrogators without par. If they spoke Arabic we wouldn't need to waterboard anyone who would talk at all... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Jayhawker,
You are correct, Limbo has never been Church doctrine. What it is, is a theological theory. It was discussed in catechism classes in the past. Probably shouldn't have been since it wasn't doctrine. I guess it was an attempt to balance our beliefs in the necessity of baptism and that God desires all to be saved.
I don't know how quietly it was "dropped". It was in the secular news last spring. The document addressing it is here.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/itclimbo.HTM
If you read the text before the introduction it says that even this statement is not a "teaching document".
Bottom line is, as Catholics we trust in God's mercy and hope that those who do not know Christ, through no fault of their own, may be saved.
Here's the Pope's latest encyclical on hope.
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/bened ... vi_en.html
Take care.