How many Nebraska folks here ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

How many Nebraska folks here ???

Post by DarryH »

I am in the Omaha area.
Who else, and where do you hail from??

I belong the the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club.
It is a great place with room to shoot
leverguns out a long way!

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How many Nebraska folks here ???

Post by OJ »

This is the second thread about Nebraska in as many days - I grew up in the Sandhills in the 1930s but haven't lived there since - though I have plenty of family still there - ranchers.

If you aren't aware of it, there's the NEBRASKAland magazine published by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/nebland/

It has great articles and pictures for those interested in hunting and fishing.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

DarryH,

I'm a Cornhusker, also in the Omaha area. I'm a member out at Weeping Water GC, when I joined WWGC years ago Eastern Nebraska had a waiting list or I may have ended up there.

I've run across a half dozen Nebraska folks on here, some post only occasionally.
regards

3T
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I am proud to say born and raised Cornhusker. Still here too. Wear my NU class ring with pride.
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I am actually a transplant.
I was born and raised on a farm in northwest Iowa.
I don't find Nebraska that much different,
except for the too high taxes !!

I read every issue of the Nebraskaland magazine.

Eastern Nebraska removed the membership cap well over a year ago.
You just have to be a member of the NRA, and you have to have either a permit to purchase a handgun, or a concealed weapons permit to show you are not a felon.
I was a member of Weeping Water for two years. I got fed up and mad at not being able to use the range when I had the time, due to the fact that they close the entire range when a match is being run.
I was there for a match that used 4 firing lanes, but I could not even go down to the far end and shoot a 22 rimfire.
ENGC has added more ranges, and is adding more. Right now you have covered firing points with berms at 100,200,300,400, and 600 yards, another range has 50 and 100 meter berms, plus there are at least 6 separate pistol or plinking ranges, and a trap house.
If you want more info, stop in at Canfield's in Omaha and I'll give you more info.

I have cousins in Nebraska's sandhills. I love hunting out there.

Nice to hear from some Nebraska folk, past and present.
Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

I'm here in Friend, NE population 1100.
Not much goes on around here.
But what you hear at the coffee shop makes up for it. :!:
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OH NO !!! I AM SORRY TO READ ALL YOU GUYS ARE FROM AROUND OMAHA. I WON'T TELL ANYONE. IT WOULD HAVE LOOKED BETTER IF YOU JUST LIED AND SAID YOU LIVED IN CHADRON OR SCOTTSBLUFF.
IS OMAHA AS LIBERAL AS SIOUX FALLS, SD ??? OVER THERE IN SIOUX FALLS [ 340 MILES EAST OF WHERE I AM SITTING AS WE SPEAK...] THEY THINK THEY'RE ALL ABOUT 60 MILES WEST OF NEW YORK CITY AND VOTE ACCORDINGLY. THEY ARE HOW AND WHY WE KEPT A YAHOO BLOWHARD JERK LIKE TOM DASHOLE AS A SENATOR FOR SO LONG.
I TOO LOVE THE SANDHILLS OF NORTHERN NEBRASKA.
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO LIVES IN STEELE CITY IN FAR SOUTHEASTERN NEBRASKA. YOU CAN STAND AT HER PLACE AND JUST ABOUT SPIT INTO IOWA OR KANSAS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Now Terry, Sometimes you just have to own up to your short-comings in life and take the beatin... :lol:

Don't live in Omaha proper. I would not live in Omaha if you gave me the house. Family and I are on the edge of town, across the county line and more importantly in a separate town. Hopefully never to be annexed.

Omaha has some pretty bad gun rules so from that stand point a few liberals have gotten their way and I don't see it changing. There are lots of right thinking folks there and so in the day to day it is not as bad as it is could be.

As for Steele City, now we're talkin Big City. Been there a couple of time, nice part of the state. Grew up an hour or two west of there but have some relation in that area.

Glad to hear they let you out of the "north country" for visitations.
regards

3T
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I am actually a transplant.
I confess that technically, I was a "transplant" also in that I was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and lived there for some five days. :roll:

The reason for that was the doctor who delivered me in 1926 was my great aunt (grandfather's sister) and she practiced in Council Bluffs. My mother had eclampsia (complication of pregnancy) and we didn't have medical facilities to deal with that in the Sandhills.

She was the same doctor who delivered my mother in 1902. She practiced through two World Wars when civilian physicians were overworked because so many other physicians were in military services. She was my idol and a large part of my inspiration to become a doctor. She practiced over 50 years total and was named something like "The Most Outstanding Professional of the Year" during her life in medicine. She was Aunt Dolly to me and she and her husband - Uncle Chad (who passed on in 1939) were part of the first medical group organized there. Their original building has their names on the cornerstone.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bosco »

Born in Sarpy county and have now returned here. Very near Omaha. Sure beats the heck out of the Minnesota winters I am used to!
Terry,
Many of the residents of Douglas county (Omaha) are just as bad (liberal) as you suspect.
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I moved from my Iowa home to Grand Island for a job.
I ended up getting transferred to a store in Omaha.
Now, when I was scouting for places to live, I asked a LOT of questions. I quit looking at places to live in Douglas County (includeds Omaha), and I found a place in Sarpy County, just south of Omaha, but close enough that the towns of Omaha,
LaVista, Ralston, and Papillion are all butted up one against the other. I have no regrets choosing Sarpy county.
My only complaint is that there are not enough Sarpy county gun dealers close by. I will NOT purchase a handgun in Douglas county, as you have to register them before you can take it home.
I refuse to do so. I know many others who are the same way.
Douglas county misses out on a lot of potential tax money due to rules like this.
At least long guns are currently exempt from registration.
Scheels is in Douglas county, and that is my favorite place to buy guns in the area.
Joining Eastern Nebraska Gun Club has been the best thing I
have done. It is a great club with a lot of great people.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH