25-20 or 32-20??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

25-20 or 32-20??

Post by HEAD0001 »

I am going to buy a new lever and I am considering either a 25-20 or a 32-20. I do not have any experience with either cartridge. But I just want to buy one(like we need an excuse). I am thinking about a Marlin 1894 as the platform.

I started calling raccoons last year. And it is a blast. I am looking for a fast handling rifle that will not do a lot of pelt damage. We actually made a few dollars on raccoon pelts(not much).

I am leaning toward the 32-20. The only reason I am leaning that way is because I think the 32 caliber bullets will be a little easier to cast than the 25 caliber bullets-but I do not know that for a fact. I will also use the rifle for short range ground hoggin(out to 100 yards or so).

I am interested in the opinions you guys may have on the two cartridges.

I already have a few pistol cartridge levers. I already have the 44 magnum and 45 Colt covered. And I agree that they would probably make a good choice also. However my little buddy(8 years old) has take a "hankerin" to my 9422, and I would like to get a less recoiling lever for him to shoot also(as if I need another reason or excuse).

I have seen a few of the 32-20's around in the Marlin 1894. But I have not seen any 25-20's anywhere. However I would be open to an older rifle, if it was in good shape and a decent price. Thanks, Tom.
KirbyAUS
Levergunner

Re: 25-20 or 32-20??

Post by KirbyAUS »

Hi Tom,
this subject comes up every now and then - you'll find the "search" function handy.
I'd go for the .32/20. Either calibre is easy to cast. I have Winchester '92's in each calibre - both deliver similar accuracy. Never damaged a case during loading the .25/20, but do crush a .32/20 from time to time due to the thin neck.

I really like Raccoons. Not that we have any downunder...
But they seem a funny creature. I've read that some people manage to domesticate them - that right?
On my recent holiday to the USA, the only raccoons I saw were roadkill... :(

Regards,
Kirby
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

KirbyAUS wrote:Hi Tom,

But they seem a funny creature. I've read that some people manage to domesticate them - that right?

Regards,
Kirby

I have a lot of corn stealing raccoons around these parts of Kansas, I trap them in a tough and rugged wire cage using corn for bait. They just about rip the cage apart during the night, digging up the ground under the cage. Hate to think of the bites one might get trying to domesticate one of these here. Ouch.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I've casted both. My own experience in owning these calibers is with the 25-20. When I was a kid, Dad won a Savage 23 in that caliber and it's still in the family. One of my brothers has a nice Model 92 carbine in that caliber as well. I had a Marlin classic in this caliber once. You can pile up a lot of bullets out of one lead pot using the Lyman 65 grain gascheck mold. In spite of what some gunwriters and other gunfreaks would have you believe, this caliber will kill deer with one shot at reasonable ranges. All of that aside, though, if I were to pick one, I'd probably pick 32-20 if shopping for a new rifle in one of the two calibers. My reasoning (besides never having owned one) is that there are more bullet molds out there that work in this caliber. The current Lyman mold, and the previous gascheck version in 115 grain will also cast a very accurate bullet that can be sized and used in 30-30 as well. These factors, as well as the favorable opinions of owners 32-20's posted on these websites would cause me to look at 32-20 first if I were in the market. Of course, if I found a really great deal, I'd take either one.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I got a .32-20 Marlin. Still trying to find the time to wring it out... BUT, I do like it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have a Marlin CL 32-20 and have shot it with Lazercast 115gr and Hornady XTP's. what a great fun combination. easy to load, accurate and handy. the XTP's are nasty on groundhogs.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there HEAD0001 - You can't go too far wrong with either!! Might depend on which rifle shows up first and is available. You could complicate the decision even further by throwing the .218 BEE in the pot!! Just a note - my 25-20 won't shoot a lead bullet for squat, but loves the Speer 75 grain Hot-Cor's. Best regards. Wind
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Had both. Use them on Woodchucks. 32-20 works better.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.32-20 only because you can more easily get a handgun in the same cartridge.

Raccoons reach through our chicken cages and while holding the bird with one hand/paw, pull pieces of the living, but sleeping, birds off and eat them until eventually the bird dies, then they keep eating all but the heat and feet. They aren't on our 'favorites' list because of that...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

KirbyAUS wrote:Hi Tom,
this subject comes up every now and then - you'll find the "search" function handy.
I'd go for the .32/20. Either calibre is easy to cast. I have Winchester '92's in each calibre - both deliver similar accuracy. Never damaged a case during loading the .25/20, but do crush a .32/20 from time to time due to the thin neck.

Regards,
Kirby
Kirby,

They are neat creatures and very smart but can also be a problem if too many of them are about.

My Dad had one years ago that he had taught to use a litter box and go back to a cage every night. Had him for a couple years and then began to bite people so he turned him loose on my cousisn's farm.

The .32-20 by the way is my all time favorite cartridge for small game and plinking fun
with the '92s and my '73.

Just started playing with the .25-20 but have been impressed with it's accuracy so far.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

I have Marlin 1894 cls in .32-20,25-20, and ,218 Bee. I also have acouple of handguns that shoot the .32-20.Therefore I like the .32-20 best to reload.The .25-20 is just a .32-20 necked down. I live in a fairly heavily wooded area so the .32-20 I use more for hunting.However,if I lived out West in the wide open spaces and had to really reach out for varmits,a hot loaded .218 Bee with a good scope would be my personal weapon of choice.It is deadly accurate.bj
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

another choice is the .357 magnum, you can load it to the levels of either cartridge. loaded with a 125 jhp. it gives you longer range. load it with a 180gr. hardcast at full throttle, it will be a close range big game getter.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

1894CL chambered in 32-20 works just fine. :wink: I consider it the "30 caliber 22mag" cartridge.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.