OT: Quoting others in threads, a request

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Quoting others in threads, a request

Post by J Miller »

There is a quote button in each response box that makes quoting very easy. However when the poster you want to quote has posted numerous pictures as I did in the thread "Looking to Scratch the Itch for a SAA." quoting them verbatim causes those of us on dial up to sit and twiddle our thumbs while the same multiple pics download over and over.
So, please look over what you are quoting. When you hit the quote button, go through the quote and delete the pics. That way all you are quoting is the text of the message.
If there is one of the pics that wish to ask about then delete the others.

It will be greatly appreciated by all of us dial up.

Thanks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Quoting others in threads, a request

Post by Borregos »

J Miller wrote:There is a quote button in each response box that makes quoting very easy. However when the poster you want to quote has posted numerous pictures as I did in the thread "Looking to Scratch the Itch for a SAA." quoting them verbatim causes those of us on dial up to sit and twiddle our thumbs while the same multiple pics download over and over.
So, please look over what you are quoting. When you hit the quote button, go through the quote and delete the pics. That way all you are quoting is the text of the message.

Thanks.

Joe
Hey Joe all this time I'd been wondering how to "quote" thanks for sorting that out for me :D

You make a good point about those on dial up though, I remember it well :(
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

+1
Ricky

DWWC
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Copy the desired text. Open the reply window. Hit the "quote' button at the top. Paste the text.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Hobie -

Sounds like a good sticky.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jnyork wrote:Copy the desired text. Open the reply window. Hit the "quote' button at the top. Paste the text.
Or just hit the "Quote" button first, then delete the undesired text once it all appears in the posting window.

If there are separated sections of text you want to quote separately, you can copy the
#### wrote: part from in front of their text and insert it in other places. Follow each section with a

If there are several pictures, COUNT them and select the one you want to post (i.e. the '4th') & delete the other [img]...[/img] thingies.

Use "Preview" to be sure you got it right.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

or, buy DSL or some other type of high-speed internet.

Regardless Joe, I agree it can be a little much sometimes. I remember my days of dial-up. I probably would have used at least 20-miles of rope had I hung myself every time I wanted to hang myself.
ED
Yer never too old
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Dial up???? Image
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

jnyork wrote:Copy the desired text. Open the reply window. Hit the "quote' button at the top. Paste the text.
So thats how you do it! :oops:
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

DBW wrote:Dial up???? Image
+1
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yea, you remember Dwayne, those tied up with an umbilical cord! Unlike us, who are unfettered by such constrictions!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Modoc - if you use 20 miles of rope you are safe. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Old Savage wrote:Modoc - if you use 20 miles of rope you are safe. :D
Of course he might break his neck in the fall. ;-{p>~~~~
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Doc Hudson wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Modoc - if you use 20 miles of rope you are safe. :D
Of course he might break his neck in the fall. ;-{p>~~~~
More'n likely Ed was alluding to the fact he'd only be hung with a new rope!!! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Griff wrote:
Yea, you remember Dwayne, those tied up with an umbilical cord! Unlike us, who are unfettered by such constrictions!
All I can say is that I love my iPhone. :)
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Slice of cheese with that whine? :mrgreen:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

But Joe, if we do that you wont have any reason to get DSL! :o Just go ahead and wait, so when you get DSL you'll really apreciate it! :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I give up. I ask a reasonable favor not only for myself, but for others and all I get is a load of manure.

I'll quit wasting my time.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

J Miller wrote:I give up. I ask a reasonable favor not only for myself, but for others and all I get is a load of manure.

Joe
I hear you loud and clear and from those of us with dial up, thank you. Courtesy is definitely thin.
It would do you city folk some good to remember that some of us live where there are no or few services and a phone line and electric might be all you can get. Fair trade for high speed, I say but the fact exists.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Gobblerforge wrote:
J Miller wrote:I give up. I ask a reasonable favor not only for myself, but for others and all I get is a load of manure.

Joe
I hear you loud and clear and from those of us with dial up, thank you. Courtesy is definitely thin.
It would do you city folk some good to remember that some of us live where there are no or few services and a phone line and electric might be all you can get. Fair trade for high speed, I say but the fact exists.
Gobbler
City folk? Not me. I do believe that most of who have faster connection hear you guys concerns and will make an effort to accommodate y'all. Part of the appeal of this forum is the levity here. :)
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Joe, I dont see any load of manure here, just some jovial guys pulling your chain a little in a friendly fashion. Go for a hike in the woods or something to air out your attitude, no offense intended. :D
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

J Miller wrote:There is a quote button in each response box that makes quoting very easy. However when the poster you want to quote has posted numerous pictures as I did in the thread "Looking to Scratch the Itch for a SAA." quoting them verbatim causes those of us on dial up to sit and twiddle our thumbs while the same multiple pics download over and over.

Thanks.

Joe
Hey now I can do it too."SWEET"
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Thanks.

Joe

Those pictures load up once and get put into your local machine. It doesn't matter how many times they get posted later in the same thread, because they are being fetched not off the internet, but off your system's tmp folder. If they are loading slow, it is because you have a very slow system.

Also, I pointed out to you not that long ago that for something like an extra 30 cents a day, you can upgrade to a DSL line. Not many things you can buy for 30 cents that give you so much in return.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kirkwood wrote:Those pictures load up once and get put into your local machine. It doesn't matter how many times they get posted later in the same thread, because they are being fetched not off the internet, but off your system's tmp folder. If they are loading slow, it is because you have a very slow system.
I've had to use systems which don't have much of an internet cache or whatever it's called, either due to lack of hardware or memory or system administrator restrictions; those don't save much in the tmp folder and are slow.
kirkwood wrote:Also, I pointed out to you not that long ago that for something like an extra 30 cents a day, you can upgrade to a DSL line. Not many things you can buy for 30 cents that give you so much in return.
Maybe Joe can, I don't know - but for me, that "extra" speed "couldn't be done" according to several techie-geek types due to the lack of cable, terrible phone lines, and a rather abrupt terrain, other than by putting some sort of 'repeater' station a few hundred yards from the house. NOT a "30 cents a day" proposition. After a two or three years of false starts, we finally got it, but it costs nearly $100 a month because we don't have DSL available (it's 1/2 mile down the road and 'coming' - for the past 10 years!), and there is NO cable option. So for us it had to be satellite, and for whatever reason the 'residential' system we tried was unable to work reliably, so we had to go to a 'commercial' installation with the more expensive hardware and fees. Even then, a rainy day will have us back on dialup.

So - it isn't always as easy as you'd think. (That's why some days I'd like to take the computer out to the 100 yard line and turn the kids loose on it... :evil: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm on a Sprint pcs (whatever that is) card on my laptop. It ain't fast like a cable system, but with a good 100% signal it rivals DSL, at lesser % signals, it slows... sometimes so much so that dialup would be an improvement... as it bumps me off; and I get that "check your connection" msg, instead of the next page. It's more than 30¢ per day, more like $60/month.

I surely didn't mean any disrespect toward Joe nor any other forum members... just sometimes forget about those that still use a landline; love the pictures... but, like Joe, I tend to remove parts of prior posts that don't need repeating... such as pictures or such... Joe has a very valid point.

Joe, my apologies.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Geeeez! Lighten up Joe, I was just kiddin you a little! You did see the wink and smily face didn't you?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Even with high speed connection, I've never understood re-posting all the pictures from a post if you don't have a question about them; I don't think anybody needs to see them again in the same thread just because folks were too lazy to cut and paste, or edit.

:D :) :shock: :P :roll: :wink: :mrgreen: