Lee Factory Crimp Die

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: I reload for the .45 Colt & the 41 Remington Magnum. In my revolvers, I load with Berry copper plated lead bullets, which work quite well. (www.berrysmfg.com/). In my Marlin levers, I prefer a jacketed bullet with a crimp groove to securely hold the bullet in place.

However, none of the Berry plated bullets have a crimp groove. To increase resistance, I apply a roll crimp. A fellow Shooter claims that a Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) would work much better. I never utilized a FCD die and would like some input from those who load using a FCD.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by meanc »

Load a few rounds with your roll crimp, measure OAL of each w/ a micrometer, make a note of each one's length. Make sure you mark each case (ie. ABC/123) so you can keep track.

Load up a mag full and eject them. Do this 3 or 4 times, then check each for setback.

Then load them up again and shoot 3-4 rds, eject the rest and measure again.

If each round retained its OAL then you're good to go with the crimp you're using.

If not, the FCD might be helpful.

I use one when loading the Rainier line of bullets.

A medium/heavy crimp (~3/4 turn after initial contact with the top of the bullet) works very well for magnum level loads out of the 45colt/44mag. Haven't experienced any setback. doing the above process.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I too use a roll crimp on my 45 Colt loads with the Berry's bullets. I have yet to have a problem. I don't know that the Lee FCD would work any "better" for you.

The Lee FCD squeezes the case mouth in rather than rolling it in.

The only negative thing I ever recall hearing about roll crimping plated bullets is that if the crimp is too deep it can cut through the copper plating and leave the rear portion of the "jacket" behind in the bore with light loads. Quote from Berry's Mfg. FAQ page: "Separation is very rare. Two things can cause a jacket to separate from the lead core: excessive speeds (magnum velocities) and a real tight roll crimp (cuts through the plating). If you'll keep these two items in check you shouldn't have a problem with bullet separation."
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

The pistol FC dies are a roll crimp unlike the rifle dies. Just crimp them lightly, theyre soft & it'll hold them fine. Ranier I believe recomends a taper crimp to prevent cutting the plating.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I've pulled my plated bullets after they've been crimped and while there was a "ring" around the bullet, the case did not penetrate the plating. The issue is the AMOUNT of crimp used.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The Lee FCD for straight walled cases is just a fancy roll crimp die. Nothing to get all exited about. I get just as good with the built in roll crimp in my RCBS - Lyman- Redding seating dies.
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts ... W=J+Miller
Then only benefit to the Lee FCD is it makes a good fourth step crimping die.

I use a tight neck tension and a taper crimp when I load Ranier or any plated bullets. I have had the copper peal off and jam up my revolver when it got stuck to the end of the barrel and inside the forcing cone. I had a piece stuck there for so long there was a copper colored stain in the forcing cone up to the day I recut it.
For the plated bullets:
>Size your cases with a carbide die, they are usually tighter.
>Expand the cases with a .450" or less expander die. A .45 ACP works fine.
>Seat the bullets to what ever depth you want.
>Crimp with a .45 ACP taper crimp die.

Works good and they don't push back in or jump crimp.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: thanks for the info.

I think I'll still w/ the roll crimp which works well in my revolvers. I was just wondering if the Lee factory Crimp Die would do a better job. May also try the taper crimp dies that I have. For some reason, I never really gave them much use.

Again, thanks.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

For $29.00 shipped, Lee will make you a rifle/collet type FCD. A far superior design. 1886.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I use the Lee FCD in my rifles, and have never had a single problem. I like Lee products, and they have good service.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I have used the Lee FCD in 44/40 in both rifle (1873 clone) and SAA clone and swear by them. Cannot fault the accuracy
from both arms. Will probably buy more for the other calibers I shoot 45 colt and 38/40. I dont shoot soft loads, prefer to go with the original power ratings for the cartridges involved. Just because a little is good, does not mean more is better, a little experimentation is required. Which is all part of the fun of shooting/reloading.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET