#$%^ing Arthritis!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

#$%^ing Arthritis!

Post by Travis Morgan »

Well, after years of using my body as a hammer, the Doc told me I have arthritis some time back; I finally got back to going to the gym and working out, and now my middle knuckle on my right hand feels like I smashed it on someone's forehead; been that way for a couple weeks, now. Tried shooting last night, and finally gave up in disgust. (and pain) Anyone know of anything that helps?

Whining mode back on......
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: #$%^ing Arthritis!

Post by mescalero1 »

Yeah,
But I am pretty sure you will laugh at me and not do it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Had you been at the Indiana shoot you'd have seen me cripping around. About the only thing that keeps me going is Ibuprofen ... lots of it.

Don't like it either, but so far the stuff the MDs given me don't work too good.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
timkelley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by timkelley »

Get some kind of anti-inflamitory such as Aleve or aspirin and take the max dose allowed on the package for a week or so. If that hasn't helped, then it's Dr. time, he will put you on Celebrex or other industrial strength medicine. I use some stuff called Diclofenac Sodium and it keeps the yelling down. :D
Thanx, Tim Kelley
NRA Life
SFC US Army Ret.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

J Miller wrote:About the only thing that keeps me going is Ibuprofen ... lots of it.
Joe
+1 - (2) 800Mg Ibuprofen (Motrin) horse pills will usually takes care of my finger and neck Arthur-itis. (and 20 grains of Unique will usually take care of any gun problems you may have too... :D )
Tom
Last edited by don Tomás on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

DMSO...Great for inflamination. Get it at Tack Shops. They use it on horses and in sports medicine all the time. It stinks, tho.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Travis,
Wht type of arthritis do you have?
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Travis Morgan wrote:Well, after years....the Doc told me I have arthritis some time back; I finally got back to going to the gym and working out, and now my middle knuckle on my right hand feels like I smashed it on someone's forehead; been that way for a couple weeks, now....Anyone know of anything that helps?
I can relate. This spring I've been so painfully stiff in my joints I finally consulted with my doctor on Monday this week about the large amount of Advil and Aleve I've been taking without getting much relief. He prescribed an anti-inflamatory called Diclofenac Sod Ec (75mg) which he said does not cause stomach upset and/or bleeding long term like Advil (Ibuprofren) and Aleve (Naproxen) often do. This prescription was like a miracle drug for me. I'm back to feeling my old 62 year old self again and functioning without crippling stiffness and pain. It doesn't make you feel 22 again, but I couldn't be more pleased with the effect this medication has had. I recommend you inquire with your doctor, and hope you're feeling like your old self again soon, too. Victor
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

A compression glove ?????.
Use ice and an occasional Advil(unless there is a reason not to take it such as any other drug interactions/allergic to/etc.)
Refrane from using that hand(working out???for a while to see if it clears up some)I know that would be hard.
If at all possible stay the heck away from prescription arthitis medicines unless no other alternative.(from what I have seen these create more side effects,some quite serious and you can end up worse than just a sore arthritic knuckle.
Where is the Doc when we need em???? AJMD429 ??????????????
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

Well as soon as my personal rain prediction device goes off in my lower back (Lord, how I hate that.) I start to take Naproxin. 1 every 12 hours till the atmospheric pressure goes back up.

That and a vibrator chair the wife bought me works for me.

I used to think I had a bad back until I really got one. How I love those days now when I don't even think about it, but they are getting fewer and further away.
JP_TX
444 Marlin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I find that laying flat on my back doing the knee to chest exercises and exercising the back muscles so that they rather than the spine carry the weight helps. Moving helps too. Stopping for any length of time is a sure lead in to stiffness and pain.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Last time I was back home, while setting up a batch plant, I stepped on a rock wrong, pulled my ankle pretty good.
That night I put some DMSO on it, and it loossend up right away, stunk though.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

flatnose wrote:Travis,
Osteoarthritis, I think.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Travis Morgan wrote:
Osteoarthritis, I think.
Watch out on big doses of the ibuprofens if you have borderline blood pressure or any kidney problems, though.

There's a good (but pricey) product called Voltaren that comes in a gel; you'd not need much for a couple finger or wrist joints, though; Dr. can Rx it but you may have to pay out of pocket for it (insurance only covers the stuff that's so cheap you wouldn't need insurance for it :evil: ). The reason I like it is it's topical so much less gets in your liver, eyeballs, and places it's not needed. The Icy Hot type ones over the counter aren't nearly as potent over the long haul, but give some comfort by a sort of 'white noise' effect that drowns out pain, as well as increasing local circulation just as heat would. There probably isn't a whole lot of actual anti-inflammatory effect, even though they're salicylate (aspirin) derivetaves. Of course the "latest" news seems to be that osteoarthritis ISN'T an "inflammation" process, despite that being accepted as Medical Gospel on board exams for the past fifty years.

Go figure - we don't know that much more than the witch doctors, and we don't even get to wear the pretty masks and feathers and stuff...!

There are some way more intense (costly and more side effects, but ALSO much more effective) alternatives available if you have rheumatoid arthritis (i.e. a positive 'citrulline cyclic peptide' test); if lots of your symptoms are in the knuckles rather than finger joints may be worth getting tested.

On days off, I elbow my wife so she wakes up, then (not knowing I woke her up out of laziness) she'll make a cup of coffee for herself and bring me one. I hold the mug because my hands so appreciate the HEAT. Once they limber up, about half the time I'll START the day with a warm bath to limber up the back and knees. And I'm barely over 50! :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

AJMD429 wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:
Osteoarthritis, I think.
Watch out on big doses of the ibuprofens if you have borderline blood pressure or any kidney problems, though.

There's a good (but pricey) product called Voltaren that comes in a gel; you'd not need much for a couple finger or wrist joints, though; Dr. can Rx it but you may have to pay out of pocket for it (insurance only covers the stuff that's so cheap you wouldn't need insurance for it :evil: ). The reason I like it is it's topical so much less gets in your liver, eyeballs, and places it's not needed. The Icy Hot type ones over the counter aren't nearly as potent over the long haul, but give some comfort by a sort of 'white noise' effect that drowns out pain, as well as increasing local circulation just as heat would. There probably isn't a whole lot of actual anti-inflammatory effect, even though they're salicylate (aspirin) derivetaves. Of course the "latest" news seems to be that osteoarthritis ISN'T an "inflammation" process, despite that being accepted as Medical Gospel on board exams for the past fifty years.

Go figure - we don't know that much more than the witch doctors, and we don't even get to wear the pretty masks and feathers and stuff...!

There are some way more intense (costly and more side effects, but ALSO much more effective) alternatives available if you have rheumatoid arthritis (i.e. a positive 'citrulline cyclic peptide' test); if lots of your symptoms are in the knuckles rather than finger joints may be worth getting tested.

On days off, I elbow my wife so she wakes up, then (not knowing I woke her up out of laziness) she'll make a cup of coffee for herself and bring me one. I hold the mug because my hands so appreciate the HEAT. Once they limber up, about half the time I'll START the day with a warm bath to limber up the back and knees. And I'm barely over 50! :(
I'm 32.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Diclofenac Sodium is the generic name for Voltaren. It does cause stomach problems, according to the FDA it is worse on your stomach and kidneys than ibuprofen or naproxen. That is why it is still prescription. Another topical which can help with the "white noise" effect is Zostrix or Capzasin. They both use hot pepper extract. Have you ever eaten jalapeno poppers until the burning in your mouth went away, and there was no pain in your mouth for hours? That effect is from capsaicin, the active ingredient. Celebrex and Mobic are Cyclooxygenase type II inhibitors, and though they will still potentially cause stomach bleeding, ulcers, and kidney damage, the reality is that they are much less damaging and most of the time give better relief.
Also, get some glucosamine and chondroitin capsules or tablets. They help most people, but if after a month there is no change, then there won't ever be.
Good luck!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Travis, when I shoe my stock a old injury in my lower back plays hob I just get a bute tablet and cut in 1/8s and take 1 or 2 gets me over the bump. danny
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Travis,
I have suffered with arthritis since I was 25 years old. It occurs most from the cold damp environment in which I used to live. I was not sure of the type which I had/have, but it got increasingly worse to the point my back was giving me constant pain, and finally it was hurting to walk. Even with more and more exercise the situation was deteriorating fast. I tried Voltaren which did help, but refused to take Ibuprophen. If you start on painkillers, they will mask the pain, but the problem still exists. If you are in pain and take painkillers just kick back and take it easy for a while, or you may be damaging your joints further and at a more rapid rate. Dont take baths or showers, when in pain, especially hot ones. Stay away from humidity, use a dehumidifier or run the A/C to dry the air if its hot. If you are in constant pain, then the ultimate help would be to move to a climate such as Phoenix AZ.
The type of arthritis I have appears to be caused by Uric acid that crystallises in the joints causing stiffness and pain. Although I was not diagnosed with it, my father suffered with it as do my older and younger brothers.
I recently dropped 20lbs of lard through diet, and the doctor told me that I have an under active thyroid, and that was probably the reason I was gaining weight slowly, even though I dont eat much.
For the problem with the thyroid, I was prescribed with Levothyroxine, 1 50mg tab per day. I got the prescription filled, and took one before going to bed. Next morning I awoke, and not a pain anywhere. An interesting side effect?.
I recently ran out of medication and was without for a week. Slowly the joint pains retuned. Filled a new prescription, and the pain has now gone again. I have not felt this good in many years.
I have told my brothers this in the UK, and they are going to give it a try.
Hopefully this info may help some sufferers here. Get the arthritis condition type diagnosed. I told my doctor what happened in my case, amd she just shrugged her shoulders, and offered no further info or facts.
It works for me, so I will keep taking it.
Last edited by flatnose on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Uh, I hope you're kidding! I was told by my vet that BUTE was very toxic in humans.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Dang I got high BP and I take Ibuprofen. I guess I better quit that. I started taking rather high doses of Vitamin C a few weeks ago when I was going through a bit of the flu. I was eating 10-12 of the 500 mg. tabs a day and I noticed my joint pain had gone away.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Be sure to take those large doses (600-800 mg) of Ibuprofen with some food.
NEVER take on an empty stomach as it can cause bleeding and the potential for ulcers.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

For my joint pain I take Glucosamine Sulfate only, now and have been for years because of a shoulder injury. I found it also helped my ankle, that used to sprain if I looked at it wrong, has been pretty solid now for over a year. I found that when I bought the stuff combined with Chondroitin it didn't work and my pain came back. Just last week, I read in a Reader's digest that the two combined cancel each other out in a lot of people. I had to take it a while for it to work(2weeks-month, 3-500mg capsules a day) from a cold start, but once it did, I just backed down to a couple/three capsules a week to keep it away. My wife has had similar results.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TM -

Sorry to hear this, especially for someone so young. I'm 45, and I can't remember the last time I went to bed or woke up without some sort of ache or pain. Of course, I enjoy just waking up realizing I've made it to another day! I've had bad back problems for a couple decades now after a car accident. Sometimes it will flare up to the point that I can not put my socks and shoes on. At those points usually anything over the counter doesn't do a thing for relief, and I have to go to the heavy stuff. Hate using it though.

Good luck!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Maybe LDN

Low Dose Naltrexone

LDN has shown promise in treating autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... eases.aspx
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

My hands are about shot from 42 years of holding a steering wheel and shifting 2 four speeds for years. I can relate my friend, but I tend to lan towards the DSMO before putting those aspirin type chemicals in my gut.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Motion is lotion. Activity seems to flare up arthritis and muscle pain but I find that after I work through that, the pain is less and the symptoms become non-existant. I have been taking vitamins and suppliments from GNC that has a sports Suppliment. In it is Glucosimine, MSM and Chondroitin. here is a link :http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?pr ... 23.2146538 Its the triflex fast acting. This has taken care of the pain in my ankle that i have broken twice, my lower back with 3 crushed vertebrae (and a surgery), both knees (5 surgeries), and numerous broken bones and injuries to hands, wrist, arm, fingers, and neck. I was a skeptic until I tried it. I personally got great relief after about 2 weeks of taking this suppliment and daily walks and light PT. Good luck with what ever you try.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Holly Cow!!!!!!!!
Last time to the Doc 4 years ago!(just to meet new Primary Doc)
No drugs of any kind(legal or non-legal,never smoked)do drink a six pack of beer or so weekly,drink pot of Maxwell house coffee daily)
I have no issues of anything.I eat tons of fresh broccoli and carrots,eat a lot of Whole Oat cooked oatmeal/frozen blueberrys
I drink a lot of skim milk/yogart eat an apple,banana,orange every day,Take the Real Green Tea w/local grown honey(wildflower)(buy 6 5Lb jars every fall)for $60
also take 2TBS Carlson Norway fish oil and 1TBS of Virgin olive oil daily. No vitimans at all what so everl Lift weights daily and ride mountain as much as possible.(thats the key)
Get the Flu Shot yearly at where I worked and pneumonia shot every 7 years,
Both parents of mine were Medical Professionals (Director of Research and Senior Manager of RN Nurses) always told me to stay the heck out of the hospital as much as possible.(I Do)

52 and feel 25 Now that I have said this watch my health go to stuff! :shock:

Now the dentist? Different story! Man I keep them in business.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

BigSky56 wrote:Travis, when I shoe my stock a old injury in my lower back plays hob I just get a bute tablet and cut in 1/8s and take 1 or 2 gets me over the bump. danny
Thanks, but I already have stomache problems; no sense in guaranteeing they'll get worse!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

20cows wrote:Uh, I hope you're kidding! I was told by my vet that BUTE was very toxic in humans.
That's an old trick with rodeo guys, but not one you should use unless you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with no options.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

brucew44guns wrote:My hands are about shot from 42 years of holding a steering wheel and shifting 2 four speeds for years. I can relate my friend, but I tend to lan towards the DSMO before putting those aspirin type chemicals in my gut.
Actually, you guys need to stay away from DMSO (I forget what that stands for) DMSO will carry things through your skin, directly into your bloodstream; it's often used mixed with other medicines to carry them into the bloodstream right at the site of the injury. I've seen it mixed with painkillers to use as a rub. DO NOT DO THIS! You can OVERDOSE doing this, as the medicines in pill form are controlled release; when you mix with DMSO, they can hit your bloodstream all at once, and KILL YOU!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

DMSO is a solvent byproduct of the pulp paper industry if you remove the solvent you get MSM which is good for you I use it on horses for tying up disease it will immediately break down the latic acid build up and relieve the horses, works good on muscle cramps that I get too and its suppose to be good for joints and pain. danny
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Travis Morgan wrote:
brucew44guns wrote:My hands are about shot from 42 years of holding a steering wheel and shifting 2 four speeds for years. I can relate my friend, but I tend to lan towards the DSMO before putting those aspirin type chemicals in my gut.
Actually, you guys need to stay away from DMSO (I forget what that stands for) DMSO will carry things through your skin, directly into your bloodstream; it's often used mixed with other medicines to carry them into the bloodstream right at the site of the injury. I've seen it mixed with painkillers to use as a rub. DO NOT DO THIS! You can OVERDOSE doing this, as the medicines in pill form are controlled release; when you mix with DMSO, they can hit your bloodstream all at once, and KILL YOU!
A solvent no better or worse than rubbing alcohol......If your skin is clean, you will have no problems with it... It's better for you than any of that stuff that rots out your stomach.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

flatnose wrote:The type of arthritis I have appears to be caused by Uric acid that crystallises in the joints causing stiffness and pain.
I thought that was the cause of gout.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Well, went to the Dr. today, and she gave me some Meloxicam and Voltaren Gel. Hopefully, something will work!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

How far are you from the nearest res, and which one is it?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Danny,Your hard core dude!! Oh Ya, you de man!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

+1 on the Capscasin.

Get a good strong food-grade extract without flavorings ("Pure Cap" brand is one, there are others) and mix it into a good massage oil like Badger Oil.

Make a strong enough blend that it is just below the pain threshold when rubbed in. Once worked into the skin it will work all day and ever "reactivate" when run under hot water.

Pretty amazing stuff Capscasin. Great for muscle spasams & shallow tissue inflamation. When used with deep tissue massage/myofacial release... wow.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

JustaJeep Guy,
You are correct, it is also one of the many tpes of arthritis. Gouty Arthritis.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote: 52 and feel 25 Now that I have said this watch my health go to stuff! :shock:
A friend and fellow physician thought he didn't really need preventative care since he ate right, exercised regularly, used a few nutritional supplements, etc., but his colon cancer was metastatic when found due to some mild but persistant symptoms. When you find the BEFORE the symptoms, the cure rate exceeds 99% WITHOUT even having surgery (or chemo or radiation).

Another "healthy" woman patient of mine was only 45, had her "physicals" at a gynecologist, and was told her lipids were great because her LDL was only 58. Her HDL was 28, and her Triglycerides 155, and her blood sugar 98, and so everything was 'just fine' and when I'd see her for things her female gynecologist didn't want to treat or cross-refer to other specialists, like an acute bronchitis, I'd remind her to get physicals from a family physician and that I didn't think her lipids were really that good. She finally agreed to more aggressive lab testing, and an physical. She actually WAS diabetic (the triglycerides and HDL were my clue) and had a 2-hour sugar of something like 240. When properly tested, her LDL turned out to be the equivalent (on a better test) of if it had been about 240 as well. She already had plaque in her carotid arteries, but her heart hadn't been detectably damaged yet. So far so good, because we started fixing all those very fixable issues, which would have added another 20-30 years to her life expectancy which was not too great if those issues were untreated. Unfortunately, I also found a melanoma about the size of a peppercorn in an area only her gynecologist and husband would ever have seen, which had already metastasized to her lungs.

Moral of the story - Preventative care can be lifesaving, and GOOD preventative care is even better.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My brother was one of those that had to be hog-tied to get him to a doctor, even when he went from a strong 190 lbs to 150 rather quickly. He kept rationalizing it was something minor.

By the time the colon cancer was found, he'd already starved himself to death.
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

I've been treated for gout since I was in my mid 20's. Most recently with 500 mg Colbenemid (Colchicine and Benemid). I had to stop it before surgery (it intensifies general anesthetic) so my right big toe swelled up and I could hardly walk. The pain management doc shot up my toe with cortisone so I could get through the surgery. Colbenemid works well, but can be dangerous - you'll need quarterly liver and kidney function blood tests.

Injections of cortisone helped my cubital tunnel syndrome - nerves trapped by arthritic deposits in my elbows that made my little and ring fingers numb on both hands. Injections can help with acute arthritis. Also use of a home hot wax therapy machine helps - they used it on me in physical therapy, along with electro-stim.

The surgery involved removal of a large benign tumor from my cervical spinal cord - they removed five lamina to get at it. The surgeon noted that I also had significant osteoarthritis of the neck!

Just today received the x-rays of my wrists - severe osteoarthritis in both hands. That goes along with the carpal tunnel syndrome, torn ligaments, lipomas. Good news is that the nerve damage limits the pain I feel - but they can get ouchy after driving, and both hands and forearms will cramp (Charley horse) after 30 minutes of work.

Tried all the NSAID's but only 500 mg of Naprosyn works for me. Voltarin, Vioxx (which they took off the market) Celebrex, Indocin, none do a dang thing. If you take these things, be sure the doc monitors your kidney and liver function.

Butazolidin (phenylbutazone) is indeed primarily an equine anti-inflammatory. I popped many a bute pill down the gullet of horses. Yet my doctor gave it to me for a wrist injury - it's never given for more than five days. Phenylbutazone is toxic as heck and dangerous - my mother-in-law took Butazolidin Alka for years, she died of kidney failure. Same thing for Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) used it on horses - but the fumes would flow off the dauber and absorb into my skin leaving a taste like rotten garlic in my mouth. There are better treatments than DMSO. Strange thing is my left shoulder which I broke twice falling off horses is the only thing that doesn't hurt.

I stopped taking all the drugs on a daily basis - only use them when flair ups happen. A few Naprosyn tablets and the pain is gone. For acute episodes of neck and hand pain the Naprosyn is augmented with a tad of narcotic Norco (10 mg hydrocodone and 325 mg acetaminophen). Don't mix the hydrocodone that contains ibuprofen with Naprosyn or other NSAID's. Thing is, the narcotics need to be used sparingly because they become less effective over time. I use only one or two doses then stop. Sometimes a muscle relaxant helps, as the muscles can spasm and put pressure on the arthritic joints (I use Flexeril for the back and neck). A regimen of vitamin supplements, B1, B6(P5P), B12, D3, Coenzyme Q-10, Calcium, Potassium and Fish Oil helps. These NSAID drugs will effect your kidneys and liver over time, and I'm saving my liver in case I ever take up drinking.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I know everybody has different views as to what proper medical care is.And yes I probably should have a colon screening done.etc.(after they get that Fleet Phospho-Soda issue squared away??)
Dont need my perfectly working liver/kidneys screwed up?

"My opinion", is our HMO health plan provides most all of its available doctors like picking straws out of a hat. you dont have One specific doctor.(might also be a P.A.)but charge me the same? might be a 1st year doctor and also most are from India.(I want someone I can understand(its like the Dell Computer help line thing)
No one knows my own body like I do.Those Indian doctors in "my opinion" are pill pushers.(treat anything with pills,then you have symptoms from those pills and now can we give you pills for those symptoms too)Come on spare me??????
I can tell you instances of in-law relatives that would be around today if???(they just stayed home)but I dont have the desire nor time to type it all.
Most doctors now a days forget they work for the PATIENT, not a slab house just trying to get 200 people in and out seeing them for 5 mins.Like I say, no one knows my body like me and maybe I might do some prescreening pretty soon(maybe not??)but that deceision will be mine and mine alone.Maybe Doc AJMD429 if you were on my plan I would go to you,but hear me friend I in the end would be the boss in regards to what I do with my body and life.You would have to accept that or (down the road) But thanks for the advice.well taken.
Dont get me wrong,I respect the Good Doctors, but I feel there are more worse doctors today(you have to search for a good one then you pay the full cost because of skipping the HMO stuff)than their ever have been before and its probably a lot to do with the Corporate Cost issue.(Making Money)so the bad ones I DONT respect or value thier opinion at all."My opinion" A BAD Doctor is worse than NO doctor.
Doc,I can tell you are a honest/caring/ GOOD Doctor and I would be LUCKY to have YOU! Regards! :wink:
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

get some DMSO at health food store or by script in Michigan , Florida, Oregon
Made from tree cells and by -product of lumber industry, they used to pitch it till doctor Jacobs found out it releived pane and INFLAMATION = athritis. rub on 2 or3 times a day,and use moisterizer in between cuz it will dry skin.
After you slap it on[ the liquid is the cheapest and on net sales fro TULSA labs in OK is cheapest] you will taste it as it goes into bloodstream. THERE is the only danger , it is a "carrier" agent and will "carry" anything on skin THROUGH it to blood. Make sure you are not using poisons ie gunpowder etc before applying.
It works! Been using it on bad ankle for 30 years