Red Dot sights...question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Red Dot sights...question

Post by Charles »

Being a very retro guy, I know nothing about these red dot sights. However, it looks like I am going to have to put one on a 22 autoloading pistol. I shoot every Saturday and it is a speed event and my iron sights just won't cut it. They are plenty accurate, but way to slow.

So, what is the best sight for the job? Educate me..pretty please!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Red Dot sights...question

Post by Blaine »

A Burris Speed Dot is a High Quality red dot. I bought it from a fella who used it on a 454 Casul and I use it on my 629. They seem to hold up pretty good.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Charles, I have used a red dot sight of some ilk, ever since theWeaver Quick point of the early 70's, the first generation Aimpoint (introduced shortly after that), up to & including the latest generation of Reflex/Doctor Optik-type reddot sights.

I've found that they are generally all about as easy to use as another, within a size - i.e., a larger tube or display is somewhat faster/easier than one smaller.

Any with an adjustable intensity to the dot is better than one w/o - for varying light conditions you may shoot under/against.

Since the reflex-types MSRP is around $300, and tube-type red dot's cost's can range from $50 to $450, you might want to consider starting with an expensive tube model that fits a Weaver-type mount that's made for most .22 Auto pistols.
It's relatively easy to then step up, once you get used to exactly what you want/need.

deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

We have a 30mm UltraDot that is on a Ruger KMKIII512 pistol right now, and it made shooting a handgun fun again. (My old eyes are... umm... old eyes.) The Weaver-style rings that came with the sight weren't much to write home about, so I replaced them with a triple set of Weigand rings to keep things from migrating.

The pistol is actually the wife's, and she is unable to shoot with iron sights, yet has no problem using a pistol with an optical sight. She swears by the UltraDot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

On a handgun the balance and size will be more critical than the brand. On a .22, recoil won't destroy even a cheap one, although there is a certain 'failure rate' to be expected that is higher on cheaper ones - but their biggest vulnerability seems to be severe recoil, like any other optic. No doubt there are ones with more 'repeatable' adjustments vs. others, but you won't be dialing in windage and elevation mid-match.

For hunting and barnyard pests where speed isn't that vital, the little one-inch Millet I have works well and is so small that even on a small handgun it seems natural. For faster shooting I'd get the biggest diameter tube you find comfortable as far as balance.

I have a couple really expensive red dots, a Bushnell Holosight (super durable but heavy and expensive - more a rifle sight), and half a dozen of the on-sale Wal-Mart ones. I only broke one (a cheapie) and that was on a 12-gauge lightweight slug gun that had already broken two regular scopes. (I decided to leave the open sights on it!)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Thanks for the input. I have resisted the 20th and now the 21st. century about as long as I can. I am in a weekly falling plate match with the 22 pistol. It is a speed event where whoever gets the seven plates down first wins. It doesn't mattter how many rounds you shoot. I have no problem putting them down with my Hi-Standard HD-Military, but can't compete with the speed. It just takes too long to align the sights, and the red dot folks clean my clock. I am looking like an old fud and getting beat by the red dots.

I am used to old time Bullseye shooting where it is the score that counts and not the speed.

I don't want to or can't put a red dot on my Hi-standard, so I have ordered a Clark modified Ruger MKII. Real snappy pistol with a Lothar Walther 5.5" bull barrel, Clark steel trigger and such goodies. Clarks wants 6 to 9 months to build one, but I remembered that Gil Hebard had some in stock a few years back. A phone call told me they have one left and now it is mine. It has no sights, but a scope mount. Clark guarantees a 1.25" group at 50 yardsl. Should be just the huckleberry for the Saturday match.

So now I need the red dot!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have a Leupold Gilmore that I am wanting to sell. It is the one inch model with the adjustable rheostat. It is in excellent condition. And I will sell it for $150 if you are interested. Send me a PM if you are interested. Tom.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I put a Tasco red dot on both my daughter's Rem 700 .243 and my wife's Marlin 336C. No problems, and as they both shoot right handed, but are left eye dominant, it allows them to get on target much quicker.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

The biggest problem you will see with red dots on a hand gun is if they are not truely paralex free at all ranges. The cheap ones rarely are and I don't have much experience with the upper end models. Here's what I do to check paralex on em:

Take the scope, install battery, turn it on and set it on a table. Now line the scope up with a spot on the wall, cabinet, door frame etc. When you kneel down and look thru the scope and move your head around. The dot should not move from that spot if it truely paralex free at all ranges. On the lower end red dots I have only found 2 that is truely paralex free.

With a hand gun paralex problems are down right awful for fast shooting.

LK
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

which two were those?
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

First one is an older 30MM Tasco Accudot that a buddy had lying around. He doesn't even remember where he got it. I mounted it on one of my my 10/22's for coon callin. The 2nd was one that a buddy bought at a gun show last winter. We checked it at the dealers table. I can't remember the brand but it was some off brand that cost around $70. I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

LK
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IME, even though the dot moves around, as long as the dot is on the POA, the POI will be just fine. My 629 w/Burris SpeedDot would shoot one hole groups at 25 yds......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Charles,
I think for what you want to do , the device is adequate.
My problem with them has always been shooting them at distance, where they tend to obliterate the target.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Thanks guys for the input. I just ordered a Burris Speed Dot (3 moa dot) from Graf's. It has a big 35mm tube and a dot that is adjustable for intensity. Hopefully it is high enough up the quality ladder to not give any parallax problems. I don't think the 3 moa dot with cover the countryside like the 11 moa dot would. We shoot at 25 yards, so it should cover .75". At 50 yards that will be 1.5 " which is the size of the X-ring on a standard pistol target. We are talking head shots on squirrels at 50 yards here! That dot should be "fine" enough for critical shooting.